February 2, 2015

We are traveling from Westchester, New York. Anyone going on this trip?

Comments

• We live about an hour north of you and will be on the Feb 2 trip. We will be in Hobart the week before and will arrive Jan 31 in Melbourne.

We are taking the Gray Line Penguin Express tour on Jan 31 and the Coastal Road Tour on Feb 1.

On the morning of Feb 2 we plan to sit in a coffee shop and watch part of the Super Bowl.

Looking forward to meeting you.

O&E
  • We will arrive in Melbourne on the 1st. Did not think about the Super Bowl. Good idea to fnd it on Monday morning!
  • ORW wrote:
    We live about an hour north of you and will be on the Feb 2 trip. We will be in Hobart the week before and will arrive Jan 31 in Melbourne.

We are taking the Gray Line Penguin Express tour on Jan 31 and the Coastal Road Tour on Feb 1.

On the morning of Feb 2 we plan to sit in a coffee shop and watch part of the Super Bowl.

O&E
    So glad that you are taking the time to discover Hobart and hopefully more of Tasmania. It is a Very Special Place.

Not so sure about your optimistic hope of finding a coffee shop showing the Super Bowl, though! You do realise Melbourne is the natural home of Australian Rules Football, don't you! :)))))))))))))))))) Yes, I know we supply some players to you to kick balls "fed" to them, but only when they are too old to run and jump and kick ... sometimes all at the same time it seems ... for our footy! You might have to drink some of the world's best coffee on a separate occasion. You will find the Super Bowl on TV, very probably available in your hotel room. Alternatively, there are some sports bars in Melbourne that will be bound to be hosting functions for ex pats and other sports addicts. Because it's not our natural game, you won't find it on every street corner, but because Aussies are sports mad, you will find it!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Thanks, Jan!

Since the NY Giants will not be in the Super Bowl this year, I think that a great cup of coffee will take precedence over the Super Bowl for me.

Do you have a favorite coffee shop near the Melbourne Langham?
  • As long as you stay away from the Seattle chain that sells something that they "call" coffee, you should be fine. I would naturally warn you against any franchised brand, as well. Almost any coffee shop in Melbourne, other than the aforementioned aberrations, will sell very good to excellent coffee. We are very particular and the market does sift out the failures quite quickly. The only exception to this might be in tourist areas. Because the locals don't go there, at least not twice, bad coffee practices can persist longer than they should! If you ask directions for Degraves Street (on the opposite side of the river to the Langham) you will find a laneway ... and others close by ... full of cafes and coffee shops. From memory, the coffee served in the Langham's Lounge .... at the top of the grand staircase and to the left .... serves very good coffee.

As a general rule, you will find very good coffee everywhere in Melbourne. My personal favourite coffee stop closed about 1 year ago. It was in a arcade off Collins Street and the entire arcade is now under renovation. Now I generally keep walking to the station and inhale as I pass along Degraves Street. By that time a train is beckoning!

Cheers,

Jan
  • ORW wrote:
    We live about an hour north of you and will be on the Feb 2 trip. We will be in Hobart the week before and will arrive Jan 31 in Melbourne.

O&E

We are arriving on Feb 1st. Looking forward.
  • We are arriving in Melbourne January 31 in the morning and are taking the Gray Line Penguin Express tour on Feb. 1. I am hoping to be able to see the Super Bowl at 10:30am on Feb. 2 somewhere and if we can't find a place we have a slingbox set up which I hope works.
    See you all on the 2nd or berfore.
    Susie
  • Looking forward to the trip. All packed. Have to wait out the blizzard. See you next week.
  • We left NY before the storm and are now in the Melbourne airport.

Going to Hobart for a few days and will return to Melbourne on Saturday morning. Penguin Express tour that day and the great coastal road on Sunday.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Oscar and Evelyn
  • Say Hello to Tassie for me! It's a little treasure of a place. Have a wonderful time. Hope you packed your layers, though.

Cheers,

Jan
  • We never went to see the Fairy penguins when we were in Australia, but this morning at the Auckland Museum, we saw a stuffed one, does that count?
  • Tsk, British. I'm appalled, as Sir Humphrey would say. Tsk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file