Options

sequencing of duffled sections of trip

OK, so for the Classic Safari itinerary, what is the sequence of sections where you are limited to the duffle bags?

From 2+ year old trip reports, I infer that once we leave Arusha at the start of the trip, we have a 4 day/night portion at Ngorongoro and the Serengeti where we are limited to the duffle, then we will repatriated with our regular luggage for the next 5 days (Amboseli and Mt. Kenya) and then finally two duffled* days at Masai Mara before linking up again in Nairobi. Is this correct? It impacts on our clothing decisions.

Just interested in more up-to-date experiences/confirmation.

* my use of "duffled" means with-duffle-bag-only and is not to be confused with Paul Theroux's usage in "the Great Railway Bazaar!"

Comments

• Options
    Good question. That is the way I read it, but I will be interest in any replies.
  • Options
    When you get your final documents about six weeks before the trip you will get a better understanding of duffels. Don't sweat, they are huge.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    When you get your final documents about six weeks before the trip you will get a better understanding of duffels. Don't sweat, they are huge.

Actually, not concerned about the size of the duffles...just the interval between repatriation with our mother-ship bags. Affects the number of sets of clothes we'll need between resupply.

Perhaps the final docs will nail this issue down, but I have to say that in general I've found the Tauck final docs very disappointing. They usually have less itinerary detail than the on-line descriptions. Mostly boilerplate T&C's which we pretty much know by heart after quite a few Tauck tours. Fortunately, the trips themselves are way better than the descriptions! They really ought to invest more effort in getting us excited as we approach the trip.
  • Options
    We did this trip in October 2013, so perhaps some of the dynamics have changed, but here is how it went for us. We packed up the duffels upon leaving the Ngorongorto Crater for two nights in the Serengeti (nights 4 and 5). We then flew to Arusha, drove to the Kenyan border and to Amboseli Park where we were reunited with our larger luggage. We packed up the duffels again upon leaving Mt Kenya Safari Club (for days 11 - 13) for the Masai Mara. We were reunited with our larger luggage on Day 13 in Nairobi, which was departure day for many of us. The duffels are Eagle Creek and very well made. In short you use your duffels for the Four Seasons and the Fairmont Mara Safari Club.
    As I recall, the itinerary does not specify when you will need the duffels, but an attachment to the papers (or maybe the duffels when they are delivered...can't recall) does mention when you will need them. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks, Joyce and British!
  • Options
    Thanks Joyce and British...this helps immensely.

While I'll look for verification with the docs, it sounds like ruffles for two 2-night stays (Serengeti and Masai Mara). Our tour has three nights at My. Kenya and two at Masai Mara which sounds like a slight change from Joyce's trip.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I made this trip last July and you'll use your duffel for only two consecutive nights, each time. I packed tree days worth of clothes, just in case I needed a spare, and any other incidentals I might need. As British said, the bag is huge. If I went on this one again, I might just pack everything in my duffel and not have to deal with another bag. Yes, they are that big. I took a backpack with daily needs, photography and computer equipment, so that all my valuables were with me at all times. You'll have plenty of time between uses to have your laundry taken care of at the hotel, too.

I actually used the duffel on the way home for my backpack and a change of clothes (in case of an emergency layover or spillage, or something) and it cut everything down to one carry on.

I'll probably use this bag for my next two trips (Yellowstone in Winter and Antarctica), along with a small suitcase. I won't fill it up (a full duffel bag would become a heavy duffel bag without wheels), but will probably have any extras I might need. That will leave my backpack for the photo equipment. I might be able to put the back pack in it for the flights too. I am sure the winter clothing will be a bit more difficult to pack. It's too bad I am not going to Antarctica first, then I'd have a big jacket for the Yellowstone trip and not have to pack my own winter coat. I'll probably just ship it home on one of my stops between the two trips.

The logistics of packing in Africa are much less stressful than you think they might be....different suitcases, not having your big bag with you, etc. It is a pretty smooth transition and you'll not be spending time worrying about your bags and will focus on the great game drives. Enjoy it; it is a great one!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file