Packing

We are travelling on Jan. 23rd to Santiago. Are there any packing tips for that trip. Also, is anyone travelling from New York?

Comments

• Hi Stanley,

Packing tips are available on the trip itinerary page, under the "Packing Tips" section. I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Stanley, the packing tips Tauck offers is very generic. We just returned from this trip. Our weather may be different than what you experience. However, Patagonia is going to be cool and probably rainy. I would prepare for that. Igazu will be hot and humid. The other thing to consider is evening wear. The trip is casual and there are a few nights you are getting to the hotels late from the flights. We wore our daytime clothing for dinner.
    Bring layers and have fun.
  • Tim,
    There was a post in another thread from a moderator that quoted some laundry prices at the hotels on the tour. Some of them seemed exorbitant. Another poster asked if the prices quoted were in dollars but I couldn't find a reply. Could you please clarify? My wife and I are going on the Essence tour starting Feb 13, 2015 and we have several tours before and after. We were counting on using limited hotel laundry services but at those prices we will have figure something else out.

Jim M
  • Hi Jim,

I'm not sure what exactly you looked at (were you talking about this laundry list?), but most often the prices we get asked for are the prices on the riverboats. Those prices are in Euros, not USD.

As far as this itinerary goes, valet laundry is available at all of the hotels on the trip, but I don't have prices at present. I would expect that the prices would probably be comparably expensive; valet laundry does tend to be pricier. If price concerns you, you can always pack a travel pack of detergent in your checked luggage, and wash things in the sinks/tubs at the hotels. You'll have three nights at the Caesar Park Buenos Aires, two at the Sharton Iguassu, and three at the Caesar Park Ipanema Hotel, which should be enough time to wash and dry a few items if you plan accordingly. If that's not to your taste, though, valet is always an option. I'll make some inquiries with our operations team here, and if we have pricing information I'll be happy to post it here.

-Tim
  • Jim and Stacy,
    That was my post and you are correct, I never received a response from Tauck Emily. We sent three pieces for laundry service (our pajamas and my husbands pants) in Buenos Aires. It was $30 US, so yes, it is expensive. We washed some items out. With the exception of Iguazu, most everything dried very quickly. We were lucky. The weather was cool enough that clothes lasted a bit longer.
  • Thanks Crackeroo and TauckTim,
    That helps. $10 bucks a piece isn't cheap but it is a lot different than the $80-$100 mentioned in the other post. We will be prepared!
  • We just got back this week. It was early spring and we got 2" of snow in Bariloche. And it was in the 90s at Iguazu so packing is a challenge.

Here's my list:

Health Issues

I always travel with pharmaceuticals in anticipation of problems. Easier to take things with you than to try and obtain them on the road, especially in a foreign country. I usually take:

After-Bite
    Allergy/cold
    Antacid tablets
    Antibiotic topical
    Antibiotics (for respiratory and digestive)
    Aspirin
    Band-aids
    Cane, collapsible
    DEET packets
    Eye drops
    First aid kit
    Ibuprofen
    Immodium/Lomotil
    Saline nasal spray
    Vitamins
    Zinc tablets

I mention this because there was a need for meds on this trip. Not me personally, but others. It started with one cold and spread to perhaps 25% being affected for a day or more. One couple actually left the group a few days early because of illness. The group took it hard.

COMPLETE PACKING LIST

Belt
    Blouses/tops
    Capris
    Flats
    Gloves
    Hat
    Jacket
    Jeans
    Nightwear
    Poncho
    Purse, evening
    Raincoat, w/liner
    Sandals
    Scarf
    Shoes, waterproof
    Shorts
    Skirt
    Slacks
    Socks/knee-highs
    Sweater
    Swimsuit
    Tees
    Underwear
    Walking shoes

FOOD
    Coffee (inst.)
    Crystal Light
    (I normally travel with nuts and nutrition bars but Chile is very strict about those so I complied.)

SECURITY
    One should carry docs
    Other carry Xerox of passport/visa/credit cards front & back
    Take iPhone photos of docs to keep on pho

STUFF
    Aftertan
    anti-bacterial wipes
    Bags-dirty clothes
    Band-aids
    Batteries/charger
    binoculars
    Business cards
    Candle
    Cane/seat, collapsible
    CDs, burnable
    Comb/brush
    Cream/itching
    Converter/adaptor
    Fanny pack
    curler clips
    Curlers: travel
    Curling iron
    Detergent
    Duck tape
    Envelope-tipping
    games/cards
    hair dryer
    hair spray
    hand sanitizer
    Hot water bottle
    Kleenex
    Lint roller
    Luggage (packable)
    Luggage strap
    Make-up kit
    Manicure items
    mirror, handheld
    Money belt
    nail polish/remover
    Night light
    Razor
    Rubber bands
    Sewing kit/pins
    shampoo/condition
    sun block/lotion
    Thumb-drive
    Tote, canvas
    Tripod
    Visor
  • Hi all,

Jim and Stacy, I checked with the Operations Manager for this trip, and found that the prices mentioned in the other thread were in the local currency, hence the confusion! Sorry about that!

Tommye, wow! Between this list and your blog, you've been posting a lot of great advice about this trip; thank you!

-Tim
  • We just got back this week. It was early spring and we got 2" of snow in Bariloche. And it was in the 90s at Iguazu so packing is a challenge.

Here's my list:
    What a wonderful list! SO much of this is generic travel stuff, too. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to list everything. I am immensely gratified to see someone else takes duck tape! It is so useful. I can only commend you on meeting the packing challenge for this trip. Bravo!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Dear Tommye,
    Your list is indeed wonderful and so, so comprehensive. Thank you. If there are any others travelling on Jan 23rd, my wife and I would love to hear from you.
  • Just got back from this trip right before Thanksgiving
    weather perfect not a rainy day
    cool in Patagonia, not freezing,a sweater and windbreaker are enough
    hot at the end
    Casual wear during the day
    At night, sometimes you may want to dress a bit, certainly no tie needed ever
    Bring a swimsuit for Ipanema beach.....right across the street from the hotel.....free chairs and umbrellas for us
    Great trip enjoy
    AND..................do the zodiac ride at the falls (optional during free time).....a thrill of a lifetime!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file