Options

GoPro in Africa- ndvb?

ndvb, I forgot to ask in your recently posted review of the K&T Safari, how your GoPro experience worked out.

Were you close enough to the subjects and did the action make it worthwhile to use a GoPro? Did you try mounting one or two to the bumper or roll bar of the safari vehicle like you mentioned? How did that work? If so, I suspect it required a horrendous amount of time to edit.

My use of a GoPro on our last two trips has been minimal. The only action video I shot with the GoPro was when I strapped it to my helmet during a Segway tour of Munich (here is a link to a highly edited version). But for the remainder of the Alps trip I only used it to shoot a few panoramas of the mountains and a castle or two. On our recent Hidden Gems of New England trip I only used it only once to shoot a panorama of the mountains/fall foliage. Needless to say, I am debating whether I should take it to Africa next year.

Comments

• Options
    I used it quite a bit, but I haven't done any editing on it yet. I have been in the process of having a Florida condo renovated and that has kept me pretty busy. I am working on printing photos from a variety of vacations for the walls of the condo. I have been trying to stay on a ocean, water, beach theme to keep with the location.

In other words, I don't really have any finished, edited GoPro video. I did use it a lot. I hooked to the Jeep as we went on trips and game drives. It also came in handy, as you saw, on panoramic shots. I did set it up a couple of nights outside the hotel to see if I got any night animal movement close to my room. I don't think I did. I looked at one of the nights and really didn't see anything.

I thought it was worth it. I am going to take it with me to Yellowstone and Antarctica in January and February. I think some underwater shots from the Zodiaks or off the boat (if I can attach it to something to get it under water when we are anchored or drifting). The new GoPro 4 is out now....I might buy one and take it.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    ndvb wrote:
    I used it quite a bit, but I haven't done any editing on it yet. I have been in the process of having a Florida condo renovated and that has kept me pretty busy. I am working on printing photos from a variety of vacations for the walls of the condo. I have been trying to stay on a ocean, water, beach theme to keep with the location.

In other words, I don't really have any finished, edited GoPro video. I did use it a lot. I hooked to the Jeep as we went on trips and game drives. It also came in handy, as you saw, on panoramic shots. I did set it up a couple of nights outside the hotel to see if I got any night animal movement close to my room. I don't think I did. I looked at one of the nights and really didn't see anything.

I thought it was worth it. I am going to take it with me to Yellowstone and Antarctica in January and February. I think some underwater shots from the Zodiaks or off the boat (if I can attach it to something to get it under water when we are anchored or drifting). The new GoPro 4 is out now....I might buy one and take it.

Thanks. You just can't keep with with technology!! The new GP-4 has a built-in LCD touch screen which is a separate add-on to the 3+ I don't like it because when attached it doesn't fit the housing.

I guess I'll take it since it is so small- other than the battery charger and a few attachments it doesn't take any space and is light. Two useful attachments I got were a hot shoe-to-tripod mount so I can mount it to my DSLR in an over-under manner, and a good, but lightweight folding walking stick with tripod tip and GoPro adapter- That worked well when shooting a video during the horse carriage ride up to Neuschwanstein.
  • Options
    Sounds good. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file