River Cruising - Portugal/Spain

Will Tauck be venturing into river cruising, Portugal and Spain, along the Douro river? We are interested in doing this in 2016.

Thanks!

Comments

• I have a feeling that river levels on the Douro are not as predictable as a travel company like Tauck would like. I know B all about tour design but I guess when you have to design something that is so dependent on the whims of Mother Nature and get all your costs fixed so far in advance and for a predictable term …. oooh…. it kinda hurts my brain.

Maybe someone who really knows can tell us how it really is? We've got a job for you, Tim. Another one! (Only kidding!)

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks for your reply, Judy.

I do believe that water levels for all rivers are at times very concerning. Is Duoro more concerning? I do hope Tauck will respond. Other river cruising companies (who shall remain nameless on this forum ;) ) offer Duoro river cruises. If the water levels were that concerning on this particular river, you would think the other companies wouldn't offer those cruises.

Tauck...awaiting your response, please.
  • I am bumping up my question and hoping for Tauck to respond.

Thanks!
  • Hello nyfeds,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Tauck has looked into offering Duoro River Cruises, however we do not believe that itinerary has the appeal of the Rhine, Danube, Rhone and Seine. You are also correct that water levels can be more of a problem there.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • I'm guessing Tauck's primary demographic is comprised of US tourists and I doubt anyone knows their own market better than Tauck. There are quite a few other cruise operators offering river cruises in Spain & Portugal, however they do appear to be aimed at the lower end of the market. Tauck certainly has spoiled us … but I suppose we should display some curiosity about what else is out there! And you never know … if the demand is there ………..

Cheers,

Jan
  • The Uniworld company does a lovely Portugal/Spain river cruise; that company is definitely not "lower end."
  • Okay, thanks for that. I was going on what some Americans told me when I was on the Inspire this last August. The impression I got was that the Inspire with Tauck beat the Uniworld experience hands down. I also got the feeling that Uniworld catered to an older American crowd than what would generally suit me. I guess it all depends on individual expectations and experiences, huh? Anyway, by the time I clear my travel diary sufficiently to make room for Spain and Portugal, who knows what Tauck will be doing!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Thanks for your replies, Emily and smarks50.

Having been Tauck guests for several years now, we were hoping Tauck offered such a river cruise itinerary. And, yes, smarks50, I, too, heard that Uniworld offers an excellent experience river cruising through Portugal and Spain. I appreciate your additional thumbs up! Thank you! My husband and I are always open to new travel experiences.