Dinner in Vienna

We are scheduled to go out for dinner in one of the palaces in Vienna . Wondering what the dress code is when we go out for dinner that night. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Katenh50 wrote:
    We are scheduled to go out for dinner in one of the palaces in Vienna . Wondering what the dress code is when we go out for dinner that night. Any help would be appreciated.

We went to dinner at a palace as part of our Eastern Europe tour with Tauck. Most people dressed in casual chic. Some, not all, men wore sport jackets. Women wore nice pants outfits or dresses. I did not see any jeans, but you also do not have to overdress. Europeans, especially the Viennese are more formal than Americans, but you are on tour with a group of Americans, so dress as you would for a nice evening at a nice restaurant at home.
  • edited September 2014
    You are not always on a tour with just Americans. Many other nationalities travel with Tauck and they revel in the theatre and experience of European fine dining. They also appreciate the unique formal experience of the palace dinner and following performance. The Palace evening is an example of the essence of what makes Vienna special in history and also in contemporary European society. You don't need to pack for white tie … not even black tie. But it is an occasion where you can show your respect for the occasion, the environment and the chef. And of course, the Prince, who has allowed you (even for money) into his world for a wonderful experience. It's one of the rare occasions where you can fling on all that packable travel bling, ladies.

Cheers,

Jan
  • It's really great to get a different perspective on everything on this forum, Jan, I appreciate your take on appropriate attire. There are indeed people from other countries that use Tauck, we have been on tours with quite a variety. And on our last tour there were lots of different foreign accents too, but we were all Americans. The world is getting smaller and smaller, we better explore it before we all look and talk the same and there is a MacDonalds on every corner in any country, but maybe that part happened already.
  • Hi Jan,
    I didn't mean to imply that the only Americans travel with Tauck. Several of our trips included people with many different backgrounds. I did mean to imply that many American travelers do not like to "dress up" or include dressier items when packing. My husband and I welcome the opportunity to change out of our travel duds ( usually jeans and sneakers) and into something nicer looking albeit maybe less comfortable. I always include a pair of "nighttime only" shoes and a few dressier tops and jewelry for the special occasions, he takes a sportcoat a sometimes a tie. Its fun to participate in the camera frenzy when our travel companions take photos of eachother just because they look different when they are "all dressed up". In general Tauck travelers do dress appropriately for the more "formal" activities, on other trips we have taken, several of the travelers refused to dress accordingly and did really look out of place.
  • edited September 2014
    Well here is another funny story!
    Years ago, on a day trip to London to see of all people, Dame Edna in her (his?) one man show. We walked into the matinee dressed casual like the majority and in walked a small group of Americans dressed in full black tie regalia. They sat behind us and were clearly baffled that they were the only people dressed like that. I am sure if we had been sitting near the front, Edna would have had something to say!
  • Oh, what a great story, possum! If we could only turn back time (and the ticketing process)! Dame Edna would have lived up to her well-deserved reputation, I'm sure.

On another tack, one of the weirdest things I've ever seen was in Saint Peter's square, Vatican City, for one of the then Pope's regular blessings and trip round about in his popemobile. This was in the mid-80s. My parents & I were lucky to have entry to the upper, fenced off area … making the possibility of actually seeing the Pope possible as he drove up and down. There was an American lady on the bus to the Vatican who was decked out in full black lace and veil, reminiscent of Grace Kelly's papal visit in 1957. The 1980's woman seemed to think she was having a private audience with the Pope and that was how she should dress. (Unless she was lost on en route for an Adams Family audition.) She kept giving the rest of us, dressed for a hot Roman June day, absolutely filthy looks. After the reality of the drive by, she looked quite discombobulated.

Maybe your Dame Edna audience members were groupies who were really into the occasion? I guess it is possible ………….

Cheers,

Jan
  • Well, Its a little old thread but I wanted to add that if you are going for dinner in some palace then a royal but a trendy clothe is a best combination. A prophecy dress from ginger and smart ethical clothing will look awesome and really royal on such destinations and occasion. You can pair this dress with a naked heart sandal, simpatico clutch and neck cuff for statement evening wear.
  • Thank you for this post. You make some interesting points, with much food for thought. I haven't thought of my silver "neck cuff" (for that is indeed what it could be called) I have for a long while. I am very fond of Georg Jensen's jewellery, particularly the heritage pieces. Thank you for reminding me of it.

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file