Options

Coming to you from Mt. Kenya Safari Lodge

Hi All,

We're currently about two thirds through the Tanzania/Kenya Safari. It's been amazing. Completed the "Big Nine" this morning with a wonderful sighting of a number of both White and Black Rhinos.

To answer a few questions that are common on this forum:
a) We brought a lot of cash but haven't needed it for anything with a few exceptions: pre-tour we did the Lake Duluti walk (two hour walk that we did in a meandering three and a half hours). It was $12 per person plus we tipped the guide $10/per person (there were four of us). The Arusha National Park tour (there were 7 of us so it was $250 for the vehicle and driver plus tip, normally I think $200 for up to six paid in cash to the driver, again plus tip). And the entry fee came out to about $120 per couple but that could be paid on credit card. Shopping in the souvenir shops is all in cash and at the Masai Village you may want to buy their wares. How much cash you bring is obviously dependent on what you will spend. One couple spent over $500 at the Masai Village, while we spent less than $50. They all did check the bills for the dates, so make sure they're 2009 or newer. We gave donations in cash to the Chimpanzee Rescue organization.

My credit card and bank don't charge international fees, and I find their exchange rates are better than the hotels, shops, etc., so I charge whatever I can in US dollars.

b) Currently they don't seem to be asking to see immunization cards at the borders. We were warned that this could change at anytime however, and you don't want to be required to get the Yellow fever shot at the border.

There were a couple of nights when we had the opportunity to shower and have a nice dinner in something other than safari clothes. So you might consider something very casual, but other than safari clothes. Laundry is available at all the hotels and at the Serena hotels and the Fairmont Mt. Kenya, where we are now, it's about $3 per article.

So far we have had internet at all the hotels, but it seems spotty in some rooms and locations and it is veeeery, veeeery slow in most of the hotels. So don't plan on uploading or emailing too many photos or using video Skype or FaceTime or Viber.

I'm not sure I'll have the time to answer any questions - they're keeping us very busy, but if you post them, I'll try.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Merlin, maybe you can answer whether round pin or square pin plugs are used in Kenya. I only went to Tanzania last trip so could not answer that question. The forum has gone quiet on that subject for a while but I am sure it will come up again. Continue to enjoy this amazing trip, regards, British
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks Merlin! The big "Nine"!!! Wow!! I had to search to find what constitutes the nine- the famous/hunting-based big 5: Elephant, Lion, Leopard, Rhino, and Cape Buffalo + Giraffe, Hippo, Zebra, Cheetah.

Was it just the seven of you on the Arusha National Park walking tour?

Is Bill West (BillWest66) on your tour? He was scheduled to take the T/K tour sometime in September and I am waiting for a report about his experience flying Ethiopian Airlines. Did you use Tauck's services or make your own flight arrangements and with whom? Any comments?
  • Options
    I'm sitting having coffee in the bar of the Fairmont Mt. Kenya Lodge. It is a gorgeous morning in Kenya. I'm looking at a Marabou Stork that's about 4 ft. tall, preening herself about 3 ft. from the open French doors and peacocks strolling around on the lawn. We have a few minutes before we leave to visit the weavers and quilters.

British, the only outlets that I've seen so far in the hotels are the three prong square. I found a picture of it on a website http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/tanzania/ that calls it a type G. The website shows another plug with round prongs, but I haven't seen that in any of the hotels so far.

Alan, Bill West is not with us on this tour. For Arusha, I think their usual is up to six, but there were seven of us that arrived a couple of days early so we asked and they had a vehicle that accommodated seven. They charged an extra $50 for the seventh person (total of $250). The tour can be divided between walking and driving. Our group decided to do two hours driving, then two hours walking and finished with another two hours driving. This is the only time you have the option to walk among the animals, and I do mean among them. We were surrounded at times by giraffes, warthogs, wildebeests. It was amazing. There are no predators in the park (except poachers, hence the armed guides) which is what makes walking possible.

We had miles on United, which allowed us to book Turkish Airlines business class. We flew JFK to Istanbul to Kilimanjaro. Turkish Air business class is amazing and far exceeds all the other airlines that I've flown business class to Europe. I also understand from others that they are actually cheaper than most of the other airlines. The only down side is we arrived at 1 AM and are departing at 2 AM from Nairobi. But Tauck had us met on arrival, so it wasn't too bad.

Ok, have to go. I may have another chance to get back online later, but not sure.
  • Options
    British,

Here's the Kenya site http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/kenya/
  • Options
    One additional suggestion: I know that currently Tauck runs the Tanzania and Kenya Safari beginning a couple of times a week on different days. I did not come on this safari with any thought of the food, and I would not substitute any of the animal experiences for a meal, but I would suggest that it is a worthwhile if you can, to manage to be at the Fairmont Mt. Kenya Safari Lodge on a Sunday. The Sunday brunch is a gastronomical experience that is not to be missed. There is an indescribable array of different foods that is unmatched in my experience. It was impossible to sample all that was offered, although I tried, but everything I tried was delicious.
  • Options
    Thanks to Merlin for all his information. When I went on the Arusha walking safari it was the buffalo who were a threat on our walk, the guy with the gun had to take it off his shoulder and almost fired a warning shot at one point because a buffalo looked ready to charge. Buffalo kill a lot of people in Africa and that's why ii can't believe how near people put themselves right by bison in Yellowstone to take a photo. We also got out of the vehicle at one of the lakes and ate our packed lunch. There was just the two of us with our driver, that was the way we preferred it.
    When we went to K and T with Tauck they did not use the Mount Kenya Safari club. I actually preferred the Tanzania only trip, I just prefer Tanzania, that's where my favorite areas are, you do about the same number of Safaris, the balloon ride is far less likely to be cancelled because of wrong weather conditions, for those on a budget it is about $2000 less each and you only pay for one visa not two. You even avoid the dreaded Nairobi airport on your return. Just my opinion for those deciding which tour to chose. Let's face it though, whichever one you go on, you'll be back for more if there is a way to do it!
    Continue to have a good time Merlin!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Merlin321,

Thanks for the very helpful information. We'll be doing this trip in January.

A couple of specific questions as we, too, are arriving via Istabul on Turkish Airlines:

Any issues with the transfer from the Kilimanjaro Airport after 1AM? We've booked that night at the hotel to ensure there is a room awaiting us. We've also booked a second pre-tour night (Gift of Time) in Arusha so we'll have time for both the lake and national park tours...did you book those after arrival or in advance?

Second, at least in January, the aircraft from Istanbul to Kilimanjaro is shown as a 737 with a pretty basic business class (i.e., recliners)...true? Decent on-board experience?

We will also be at the Mt. Kenya lodge on a Sunday and look forward to the brunch you describe.

Any and all other observations and tips will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    Portolan,

When we arrived at Kilimanjaro, there was a driver waiting for us with a Tauck sign right outside the main door of the airport. He took our luggage, drove to the hotel and they set us up in our room without a hitch. Very easy, Hakunah Matata (no worries).

The business class flight from IST to JRO is, as you said, is the smaller 737. It doesn't have the lay flat seats, only the recliners, but it is as good as any business class flight I've flown from the US to Europe on any airline. Good food (again, chef on board), comfortable seats, noise canceling headphones, etc.

We were grounded this AM for the balloon ride because of wind, but we're waiting to hear if they can get us another pilot and maybe we can try again tomorrow. But in spite of that, the Kenya part of the trip, including the substitute game drive this morning, has been amazing every day. I don't want to give away any major surprises, but be prepared for experiences with the big five that you can't even imagine and at least we never expected. I will fill you in if you would like, but I would preface the post with a spoiler alert.

I'm not sure if the January trip is any different due to the difference in season, but we've had so many incredible experiences every day, that even if you only have a fraction, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.
  • Options
    Portolan,

Sorry, I neglected the question about the tours. You don't have to book the tours in advance. You can do them in the morning or the night before. Just ask at the desk and they'll give you all the info. We met a number of other Tauck people at the hotel from our tour and from the Tanzania/Zanzibar tour and we all wanted to go together. But if you want to do it on your own, you can arrange that also. I highly recommend doing the 2 hour walking tour as part of the Arusha Park Tour. As I said, we were tired, so we didn't want to do the walking at the end of the day for fear of not having any more energy, and we didn't want to do it first thing, so we could better get a feel for the park from the vehicle first. So they accommodated us by doing the 2-2-2 arrangement.
  • Options
    Merlin,

Thanks for the additional information. It all sounds wonderful and we can hardly wait...but have to!

Scott
  • Options
    Can you clarify what vaccines you actually got prior to your trip? I see so many recommended immunizations, and some that are required. Just wondering what you did? Thanks.. Coming from the USA.
  • Options
    Vaccinations come up again and again on this forum. 'Required' is not the same as 'Recommended'. The only required vaccine for this tour is Yellow fever , but you should be sure you have many other shots to maintain your health even if you are not leaving the USA. Malaria prophylaxis is of course oral medications. Only you and your Dr know all about you, so you should seek their advice, or better still a Dr who specializes in prescribing for travelers. You can also read plenty of information on a country by country basis on the CDC WEBSITE. Look up all the pasts posts for more information and opinions, they are quite entertaining.
    Some travel drs may even suggest Rabies shots, which should not be necessary, but then you would not believe the number of people who petted a dog that ran up to us on the beach on the Tanzania and Zanzibar tour. I think they should offer 'Common Sense' shots too
  • Options
    British wrote:
    I think they should offer 'Common Sense' shots too

Haaahhaaaaahaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:))))))))) Good luck with that, British! You've just made my morning.

Cheers,

Jan

• Options
    Merlin321 wrote:
    Portolan,

When we arrived at Kilimanjaro, there was a driver waiting for us with a Tauck sign right outside the main door of the airport. He took our luggage, drove to the hotel and they set us up in our room without a hitch. Very easy, Hakunah Matata (no worries).

The business class flight from IST to JRO is, as you said, is the smaller 737. It doesn't have the lay flat seats, only the recliners, but it is as good as any business class flight I've flown from the US to Europe on any airline. Good food (again, chef on board), comfortable seats, noise canceling headphones, etc.

We were grounded this AM for the balloon ride because of wind, but we're waiting to hear if they can get us another pilot and maybe we can try again tomorrow. But in spite of that, the Kenya part of the trip, including the substitute game drive this morning, has been amazing every day. I don't want to give away any major surprises, but be prepared for experiences with the big five that you can't even imagine and at least we never expected. I will fill you in if you would like, but I would preface the post with a spoiler alert.

I'm not sure if the January trip is any different due to the difference in season, but we've had so many incredible experiences every day, that even if you only have a fraction, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.

Don't give away the surprises! We did this trip in July, and also missed the balloon ride. But, it was so great a trip, that we will never do it again. We feel that a second trip could be a poor sequel. We will do Africa again, but a different itinerary.
  • Options
    Sealord, We met a couple on our T&K tour who had just come from the Botswana, South Africa and Zambia tour and loved it. We'd love to return to Africa, having had a amazing experience on this trip, so we are seriously thinking of doing the Botswana, SA and Zambia tour next.
  • Options
    I am booked on the Kenya and Tanzania trip, starting Oct 25, but coming one nite early to the hotel...am wondering if anyone else is flying from Amsterdam on KLM arriving late evening on the 24th..am by myself, so would like to find out if any members of my group are on the plane with me!! And wondering, if you are on safari, is it hot there now?? Shorts or long pants? I have never been before, so am not sure how to plan..only one or two nights when we need to change for dinner?? or almost every night - the book tells us, but is sort of vague. I know there is no guarantee on weather, but an idea of what to expect from someone who has been before would help a lot!!
  • Options
    Judy K, there is only one KLM flight from Amsterdam to ARUSHA per 24 hours. This is the most popular route for most people, so you are likely to meet others on the plane, because most arrive one day before the tour.
    Weather, there is more guarantee of weather prediction than in other parts of the world because you will be near the equator. Look on the Before You Go section, look At Weather section, you will see that you are going in the Short Rains season, it gives details, you may be lucky if the rains are late beginning, or you could expect the usual afternoon rains described. Temperatures around 80 degrees during the day.
    Shorts, we found it much easier to wear long pants, protecting from sun and tsetse fly bites, that occur during the day, avoiding black and blue clothing. If you do not have time to change for dinner, that often occurs, or you are too tired to bother after those very early wake up calls, then your body is covered to prevent mosquito bites. Do not take too many fancy clothes, you will not need them. Fill your suitcase with either plenty of safari clothes or get laundry done, it's cheaper in Africa than in any other country you may visit. Leave jewelry at home, take a bandana or buff, they are really useful. Take shoes that you don't nind getting really dirty, but they must have a decent tread.
    We found on the K and T tour that our Balloon flight was cancelled due to weather, that appears to occur quite often on that tour according to what I read on this forum. If this happens, you we receive a refund. Enjoy this trip of a lifetime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file