Options

How deposit and payment works

I know im sounding foolish. I just tried to speak to a rep and their fire alarm was going on. Hopefully they are all safe. Meanwhile I paid for the deposit and now don't know how this works. Do they charge your card right away or just "hold " it like most places?
Also, I understand u have ten days to cancel. After that, if you cancel three months before, lets say, do u have to pay for the tour anyway? This is what I understood from the conversation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Were you booking directly with Tauck? If so you should have received an almost immediate reply by email with three attachments. The first email attachment, 'Summary of Purchase,' a PDF document, provides answers to most of your questions including details of your deposit, amount and date of final payment, and a brief summary of any insurance and cancellation fee waiver (Tauck Guest Protection Plan) you selected. Much of this same info can be found on the Tauck website and brochures. The other two attachments are forms you use to provide Tauck with your flight and passport info.

The amount you must pay for cancellation depends on when you cancel and if you selected the the protection plan. I believe you have 10 days from when you make your initial reservation to add the guest protection plan.

For a good summary go to the "Tauck Travel Protection Product / If You Have To Cancel" tab of the "Before You Go" section of the specific tour on the Tauck website which states for the Kenya/Tanzania (probably all the same):

"If You Have to Cancel

Cancellations Fees – Regardless of reason, cancellations result in costly charges from our travel and hotel providers covering penalties and fees incurred by canceling confirmed bookings. Therefore, the following fees apply.

Guests choosing to purchase Tauck’s Guest Protection will incur cancellation penalties of $560.00 per person regardless of cancellation date prior to tour departure date.

Guests choosing not to purchase Tauck’s Guest Protection will incur cancellation penalties per person as follows:
    60 days or more before departure
    $600.00 per person

59-8 days before departure
    $1250.00 per person

7-1 days before departure
    $2000.00 per person "

At the bottom of the text there is a link to the complete coverage brochure.

• Options
    Dear Lily, I think the wisest thing to do is call Tauck back at your earliest convenience. However, I have noticed that Tauck quite often does not send it's confirmation email until the end of the day. So, if you do not have time to call them now, and no email comes tonight, you certainly need to call tomorrow. Everyone is always very helpful AND if you have not purchased the insurance, I suggest you do, it's supposed to be one of the best. Now come on Lily, what did you book!
  • Options
    Do they charge your card right away or just "hold " it like most places?

Just as a point of reference, every land tour (Tauck, Smithsonian, Abercrombie & Kent, etc.) and every cruise (Regent, Silversea, Holland America, etc.) which we've ever booked has charged a deposit immediately...never just a hold. Unlike a hotel, for example, where there is a lot of capacity and walk-in business, a tour/cruise operator needs some reassurance that people making reservations are reasonably serious.
  • Options
    I use cards like PayPal, MasterCard, Visa Card, etc to make any transactions either to deposit or withdraw. Actually I am working with an online organization that offers affordable essay writing service for our customers. And I think we offer the best as we are getting good responses and positive feedback from our customers.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    To get back to the subject, Tauck will put a Hold on a tour for a certain amount of time, can't remember specifics, but of course if you don't call them back in the time frame which is not long, they will not hold tour place.
    So where is Lily after all these responses?
  • Options
    British wrote:
    To get back to the subject, Tauck will put a Hold on a tour for a certain amount of time, can't remember specifics, but of course if you don't call them back in the time frame which is not long, they will not hold tour place.
    So where is Lily after all these responses?
    It was always one week. I used it on my riverboat cruises to hold a cabin for me in the cat I wanted.

My TA called today about my Scotland trip next year and was told new policy is if I put a deposit on the trip and can't take it (I don't get to chose my vacation till Novemember) that I can use that deposit towards another trip of my choice and not lose it. I told my TA to get it faxed to him, cause I can't find anything on that policy on the website.

I really want to do a trip that includes the Military Tattoo and they are filling up very fast.