Options

Starting to fill up my shot card!

My wife and I stopped by the local Naval Hospital to get a copy of my shot records and to have my old International Certificate of Vaccination (yellow card) updated to match so I could take them to a civilian travel doc. I'm retired military, but now since I also fall under Medicare, except in certain instances and prescription drugs, I normally need to seek civilian medical treatment.

Instead of just giving me a copy of my shot records and updating my shot card, they asked if wanted to get some shots today. I said, "Sure!" so they gave me shots for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, and Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis). They also sent me to the lab for blood work to determine the status of MMR, Varicella (Chicken Pox), Polio, and Hep A/B/C) anti-bodies before scheduling me for boosters or shots for those. Darn nice service!

I noticed the CDC paperwork they gave me also recommends inoculation against Meningitis- anyone get that shot before going to K & T?

My wife who still gets all her care from the Naval Hospital will get her shots at her next regular appointment- She wanted me to be the Guinea Pig! I haven't decided if I will cancel my appointment with the civilian travel doc. I'll see what the Naval hospital folks say about Malaria prophylaxis, etc. I suspect I'll get all the info and medications I need at the base hospital- a Naval Hospital on a Marine Corps base- after all they are pros at getting large numbers of people immunized for all sorts of diseases in all parts of the world!

By the way, the first entry on my International Shot Card is July 1967!!! I was a new Plebe at the US Naval Academy- oh how long ago!!!.

Comments

• Options
    You know I like to muscle in about shots. Do you have to pay for these blood tests? I would have thought it would be cheaper to just give you the shots, ok yes, chance of a localized reaction but no more risk of the slight chance of infection possibility of drawing blood. In addition, if you know that you have already had shots for hep A and B ( I did not know there was a vaccine for hep C) that's Ok. But if you have never had these shots before and you do have antibodies, then that is worrying because it means you have been exposed to the diseases and may have liver damage etc. And then there is the time involved in going back if you do need the shots. That being said, it's impressive to know that Veterans are so well cared for because it's not what the public sometimes hears.
    It's great to see that you are so organized about the upcoming trip of a lifetime.
    Yesterday an acquaintance of mine emailed me some great photos of her first trip to Africa (South and Okovanga Delta) and it just flooded back the memories of such amazing experiences of scenery, animals and peoples. I can't wait to read your trip review on your return.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't know if the extra caution was routine or because my records were incomplete, or if it had to do with something in my medical history. I'm not a fan of needles, but I figure they know what they are doing, plus the shots and tests were/are free.

There can be a (significant?) difference in care received by veterans who go to civilian-staffed Veteran's Hospitals (that have received bad press this year) and retired veterans who have put in 20+ years of service, and who, along with active-duty military and their dependents, can get treated at military base clinics and hospitals.

The Navy corpsmen who administered the injections and took blood were the best I have encountered in a long time, especially the one who administered the shots. He had great technique. I figure that comes from having to deal with a lot of kids and babies as well as Marines- quite a few new moms cycled through the immunization clinic with their tiny new babies while we were there.

Not so much organized, just like for previous trips- I can't wait to go and look for anything to fill the wait. :):)

British, did you take the malaria prophylaxis, if so, which type? Any side-effects?
  • Options
    Alan, when you mentioned about the Meningitis shot, I thought, crickey, have I had a meningitis shot! So while getting my flu shot this afternoon, at Costco, $14-99 or less with my insurance, I asked about the vaccine, I still had not checked to see if I ever got it(naughty me!) there is the one vaccine which covers the 4 strains of Meningitis and it costs $120 or so. So when I do check, I know what it might cost me.
    I took Malerone for Malaria, taken it multiple times before and I have taken another type for a different part of the world but can't remember what or where, as you know it varies. We took ours in the evening either during dinner or as soon as we got back to the room, it should not be taken on an empty stomach because that is more likely to cause nausea. If there is no food at the time you have to take it, milk is suggested. We have never had any side effects. The mosquitoes in Africa are quite small and not easy to notice until too late. People did get bitten on our tour, the person who was bitten most was the extra tour guide who came along for the ride to learn the ropes, not new to Africa, but new to the Tanzania only tour.
  • Options
    Hi British,

I've got a question for you. In Oz, Costco is a supermarket that sells in bulk. I was just wondering about your mention of Costco in relation to vaccines and the like and wondered if your Costco was similar to ours. Can you elaborate for a poor, ignorant foreigner? ;))

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    AlanS wrote:
    He had great technique. I figure that comes from having to deal with a lot of kids and babies as well as Marines- quite a few new moms cycled through the immunization clinic with their tiny new babies while we were there.

Having recently been in Amsterdam, dodging the maverick cyclists, your comment had me picturing flocks of new mums with papooses strapped on in front, streaming through a medical clinic staffed by sailors. All very Monty Python……… Jet lag can be a strange thing. ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    British wrote:
    The mosquitoes in Africa are quite small and not easy to notice until too late. People did get bitten on our tour, the person who was bitten most was the extra tour guide who came along for the ride to learn the ropes, not new to Africa, but new to the Tanzania only tour.

Mosquitoes just love to dine on me!!! If we are in a mosquito area, my wife will seldom get bitten, while I'll end up with a dozen or more bites in fairly short order! I get a small itchy welt from each bite that can last two days or more, too! I'll be using DEET/Permithrin and taking a malaria prophylaxis for sure! Sounds like a nice thing to take before dinner each night!

Jan, Here in the US Costco sells food in bulk- but also limited selections of clothes, toys, lawn furniture, sports equipment, tools, TVs, tires, etc., etc. and evidently administers some of the more common shots - Flu, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks, Alan. That sure is a wide product range! Tires to flu shots! Who knew!!!

Alan, if we ever meet in a mozzie area, they can just leave us out to attract the bl***y beasties, leaving everyone else in itch free bliss. The things we do for some ungrateful so and sos. ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    For further FYI, the two local Costcos near me have Pharmacies in them. I don't usually use them but I knew the cost would be minimal so thought I would try it there while getting it done was on my mind. It sure is a busy place but the pharmacist was so handsome I hardly noticed he did the shot but my shoulder sure hurts this morning.
  • Options
    Snigger. Isn't marketing fascinating? ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file