Options

Star gazing during this trip

Just wondering how clear the night sky is during this trip. Can anyone offer an opinion regarding your ability to see the Milky Way, satellites tracking across the night sky, etc. Looking forward to a fantastic journey. Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• Options
    The night sky can be good from the ship, and star-gazing good on a clear night. But, even MORE cool is to go to the lower-level stern after dark when you're anchored or moving slowly, wait for your eyes to focus on the water's surface in the dark, and look for the action below!
    One night we saw bioluminescence, as well as sea lions streaking through the water toward food. Another night we saw two Galapagos sharks cruising around. Not too many folks stayed up much past dinner, and they missed the show!
  • Options
    Have been to the Galapagos 4 times and while the stargazing can be spectacular on clear nights,the moon plays a big part. A full moon will wash out the sky quite a bit.
    i selected my most recent trip during a new moon and a meteor shower
  • Options
    Thanks for both of your comments. I would not have thought to check for bioluminescence and will definitely check out the back of the ship.

Thanks Purduegal for your info; I now have to check my lunar calendar :-)
  • Options
    For anyone interested, the stars on a clear night are fantastic. Still could not see the milky way as brightly as I had hoped but you could see a faint glow that is the milky way. Best viewing is on the top deck in front of the bridge on the Isabela II. When the bridge lights are dimmed this is the darkest place on the ship to view.

Apparently the luminescence that was mentioned in one of the earlier posts in this line of posts is no longer visible according to our tour director, so I was a bit bummed by that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file