Amsterdam 2 Budapest

My Wife & I have travelled extensively in Europe. We are booked on the Amsterdam 2 Budapest Cruise leaving Amsterdam
Oct 4th. This will B our 1st Riverboat Cruise and our 1st trip in Europe in the Early Fall.
Any advise as to what the WX is likely 2 B at this time would B very appreciated as we are limited on a RB Cruise
as 2 the amount of clothing we can bring, and I`m not sure just how cold/warm it might B.
We look forward 2 celebrating OctoberFest etc.

Also any suggestions anyone may have as 2 side trips or special restaurants you have enjoyed would be B
great.

Thanks in advance 4 any suggestions.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Hi flflyguy, the quickest way to find out weather averages is to go to the Before You Go section of the webpage for your tour. I am always reminding people of this really important feature of the tour details. No way would I book a trip without checking the weather for when I want to go, the elevation and so on. It looks as if you could be lucky and experience the more comfortable temperatures of September or experience the more average temperatures expected in October which take quite a nosedive, because at least you are going early in the month. Before you go, take a look at the predicted ten day forecast on a site like weather.com and adjust your packing accordingly. It will certainly be less crowded in Europe at this time and a time of year I might enjoy to do the tour have a great time and post a review here when you return.
  • Thanks

We'll do that
  • Thank you, British! That is exactly what I would have said. :)

-Tim
  • Oh oh...Now I'm really concerned when I read things like weather taking a "nose dive" in Oct.

We're on the BUD-AMS cruise on Oct. 26th. I expect the weather to be much cooler, which is why we chose this time of year and planned to pack accordingly.

But what exactly does nose dive mean? Snow, Wind, Rain, Hail, Unable to see any view at all?
    All of the above or just cold weather?

This will be our first river cruise, our second trip with Tauck and we will check the Before You Go section as well.

Thanks,
    MonaD
  • Hi Monad
    Pat and I will be on your cruise 10/26 B 2 A . We also are taking this trip to avoid large crowds and the hot weather in July/Aug , Mother nature has a mind of her own . I have looked at many forecast and internet information about the area and travel sites To us there is a very acceptable risk .
    I have always tell the children to wear layers . You can take it off if you are hot, but you can not put it on if you don't have it.
    My 12yrs experience with Tauck tells me that they would not schedule a trip that they would not expect to have a great experience
    Pat and I took the last schedule trip to Yellow Stone and the Tetons and few years ago. We were the last guest to leave yellow stone Inn and Hotel closing for the season.We had a little snow but it only enhanced the trip. Unfortunate there was a large wild fire we could see across the lake if was so beautiful but also sad.
    Any way we will be there with a drink in our hands
    One more thing==My grandfather had a weather channel but he called it a window
    Pat and Mike
  • Latitude is not an especially good predictor of weather since patterns are different and it is affected by different conditions around the world, like the Arctic Express coming down out of Canada that affects the US northeast, but still it is a significant factor. Many people don't realize most of Europe is farther north than most of the US. Look at an Atlas or globe and you'll be surprised.

In case you are not familiar with latitude, the equator is at 0°, the Arctic Circle is at 66° North, and the North pole is at 90° North. Here are the latitudes of some common cities listed north to south by latitude:

Reykyavic, Iceland 64° North
    Stockholm, Sweden 59.3 North
    Amsterdam, Holland 52.4° North
    International Falls, MN 48.6°
    Salzburg, Austria 47.8° North
    Seattle, WA 47.6° North
    Budapest, Hungary 47.5° North
    Fargo, ND 46.9° North
    Bangor, ME 44° North
    Buffalo, NY 42.9° North
    Chicago, Il 41.8° North
    New York City 40.7° North

• Yes Alan, weather is really fascinating, I loved to study weather in high school in England. Latitude is certainly not the only predictor of weather. I have lived in Scotland, The west side of England and the East side of England and now the US North East. The cool temperate temperatures of England is supposed to be one of the best climates to live in. It enjoys the added advantage of the Gulf Stream coming across the Atlantic and keeping the temperatures less cool than you would expect for the latitude. The Gulf stream is called the Jet stream in the US area. The three years I lived in the southern part of Scotland I really enjoyed the long summer evenings, it did not get dark until 11am in the height of summer, but oh so dark on winter nights. In England, even the modest ' mountain range' of the Pennines in the middle of the country, the 'Backbone' of England, makes the East side of the country drier than the West. The average temperatures throughout the year vary by only about 40 degrees F. In the US I have experienced swings of temperatures of more than 50 degrees in one day! When I moved to the US the very hot temperatures of the summer and the very cold temperatures of the winter were hard to take and i wondered how on earth it would affect my love of Gardening. I especially love the Fall but miss the much earlier Spring of England. When I talk to friends in England at that time of year and they mention how beautiful the daffodils look, I look outside my window and mine aren't even peeking through the dirt some years. And oh, the rain! I had never experienced rain like we get in the northeast. It's funny that people here think that England has more rain, it doesn't, it just that the rain falls as drizzle! I can't really decide which type of rain I like best. Yes a fascinating subject. So when I said the weather takes a 'Nosedive' the term was relative. Taking 'layers' for any trip is certainly really important, an umbrella and comfortable walking shoes. All things mentioned in that 'Before You Go' section of the tour details.
  • Thanks for the input Pat & Mike!

We only travel in a country's fall/late season. I come from heat, drought, and no seasons at all. So for me, I like to be very cool, see rain, and experience fall. Fewer crowds are a plus. We're pretty easy going and well travelled so all experiences are just fine with us. We just don't want to experience cancellations. And you are right, if they expect cancellations due to weather, Tauck would not take us there. Mother Natures mood's are always expected.

We look forward to meeting you two. We're from California, about 30 miles east of San Francisco. We're coming in a day early in BUD.

• Jello Monad

We are coming into Bud 2 days before and staying in Ams a extra day. We will have to meet for tea and sandwiches ( or beer and peanuts) before we castoff
    We will forgive you for coming from CA . We grew up in the snow belt in the mountains of NY but now live in a beach town in slower lower DE
    Have a safe flight don't forget your currency converter for the HUF and ask the waiters if the tip is included in the bill. If you tip or pay in cash and not the exact amount tell the waiter how much you want back.
    See what happens when you read too much
    See Ya P2M
  • Hey P2M, good to know, thanks. We'll use a CC in BUD since it's only the one night.

Beer & peanuts, wine & cheese, tea & sandwiches, PB&J, no preferences here, looking forward to it all.

Save Travels,
    MonaD (Mona & Dan)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file