We have an extra time in Amsterdam on Sept. 24-25, 2015 Any suggestions of what to do???

Hi Folks,

Tauck has given us an extra day at The Grand Hotel in Amsterdam as a reward for taking a previous cruise.

On Sept. 23rd, in the morning, our tour will take us on a canal boat tour and we will visit the Rijksmuseum.

So we will have the afternoon of the 23rd, the whole day of the 24th and most of the day of the 25th before our 5:50pm flight.

Would very much appreciate any suggestions for things for us to do in the Amsterdam area?

We have all the guide books but are looking for first hand accounts of things that Tauck travelers have actually done themselves.

Thanks,

Ed and Trudy

Comments

• Hi Ed & Trudy,

I posted this a little while back in answer to the same query. In case you haven't looked through the various threads here on the forum, here it is again.
    ~~~~~~~
    For a slightly off piste suggestion … almost opposite the Van Gogh Museum, housed in a four/five story Dutch house, is the House of Bols. It's a museum dedicated to the Dutch spirit, Genever … basically a type of gin. I rarely drink cocktails, and only occasionally gin … but the history of the drink and it's place in Dutch social and economic history is fascinating. It's a really interesting journey through tastes and aromas. A cocktail is included in the price of entry. I donated mine to another visitor. It was a fun way to spend an hour after the brain food in the nearby galleries and museums.

Cheers,

Jan

PS: Entry is reserved for adults, so no kiddie winkies!
  • I suggest the Van Gogh museum and the Ann Frank House. I think you can make a reservation for the Ann frank House since the lines tend to be very long.
  • Thanks Jan and Sue.

Ed
  • Amsterdam is such a pretty city to just walk around. Rick Steves has some good walking tours that we used when we were there. Go to http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/amsterdam to find them. They can either be listened to through his app on your android or apple device or downloaded as an MP3 file for your music player. Maps are also available on that webpage.
  • I heartily agree with Ken's suggestion that you walk around. Amsterdam is a very walkable city. In addition to following the above suggestions, we would recommend that you take a 2nd canal ride, but this time at night. It's not expensive and Amsterdam is beautiful at night, so you'll see things in a completely different way. The arches on the bridges that you'll go under are lighted, so it's quite lovely. You'll also learn more about the places that you viewed on the daytime cruise. Also, try to eat dinner one night at an Indonesian rice table restaurant. There are numerous good ones, and your concierge can make reservations at one for you. During colonial days the Netherlands traded extensively with the East Indies. You also need to visit Dam Square. It's lovely and very interesting. Also, see the bicycle garage at the train station. I'm close to being willing to bet you've never seen so many bicycles in one place in your life! We were in Amsterdam 3 extra days between back to back tours and could easily have spent even more time there.
  • Also, see the bicycle garage at the train station. I'm close to being willing to bet you've never seen so many bicycles in one place in your life!
    There are huge numbers of bikes parked near the main railway station in Copenhagen, too. I have no info on which city has the most, so I won't be taking your bet! :)) Sure is the most amazing sight.

Cheers,

Jan
  • We enjoyed the Anne Frank and VanGogh museums. Also the flower market. If you go to the museums, get your tickets at the hotel desk - then you can get into the express line at the museum. We found that out after waiting 1 1/2 hrs. for the 1st museum. We loved the Rhine/Moselle trip when we went. Enjoy!
  • I found purchasing the tickets for the Anne Frank house and museums easier to purchase while still in the states. Interesting but not a must is the museum of handbags.
  • A Museum of Handbags! Excellent tip. Thank you very much, Amyuk.

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file