Vaccinations, etc.

My husband and I are going on the Kenya/Tanzania July 26th, 2014. We have been to
South Africa. We have had the Yellow Fever and intend to take malaria prophylaxes.
The CDC also recommends Hepatitis A & B, anyone know if this is actually necessary?

Comments

• Hi c5sandy,

Well, we actually recommend people check with the CDC and WHO on what's advised, so it sounds like you're doing everything right so far! The only other thing we'd advise is to discuss it with your physician, as they know your personal medical history best and can give the best quality advice.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Do I need a Yellow Fever shot for this tour. I didn't see it was necessary on the CDC website.
  • Yes, you need a yellow fever shot.
  • Yes, it is recommended. If you don't get one and there is an outbreak just before you go or while you are there, you will need one, it takes time to work. About 8 days I believe. If you have to get one there, do you want to risk a needle in those countries? Talk with your family dr and travel dr and seek their expertise, they know your medical history.
    I would think if anyone on a tour has had a reaction to the shot, they would be sure to post and I haven't seen any.
  • We had all of the necessary shots, hep A (got for an Asia trip) and B, along with Yellow Fever. I really don't understand why, if they are suggested one would not get them. Proactive is always better than reactive! We arrived in Arusha on a flight from Nairobi and could not even enter the airport until we showed our Yellow Fever sticker (guess, if you opt out, a doctor's letter is needed). We were also dutiful about taking our Malaria medication. I am normally a very healthy person, but on a Southeast Asia trip a few years ago I got so sick, I was sure I was going to have to miss the tour. Fortunately, our travel clinic (Kaiser) had prescribed medication, and that seemed to shorten the illness, and I was able to continue. I understand that for some people the cost of vaccinations is high (again, with Kaiser, no extra cost), but that has to seem minor compared to having to leave the trip due to illness.
  • We had all of the necessary shots, hep A (got for an Asia trip) and B, along with Yellow Fever. I really don't understand why, if they are suggested, one would not get them. Proactive is always better than reactive! We arrived in Arusha on a flight from Nairobi and could not even enter the airport until we showed our Yellow Fever sticker (guess, if you opt out, a doctor's letter is needed). We were also dutiful about taking our Malaria medication. I am normally a very healthy person, but on a Southeast Asia trip a few years ago I got so sick, I was sure I was going to have to miss the tour. Fortunately, our travel clinic (Kaiser) had prescribed medication, and that seemed to shorten the illness, and I was able to continue. I understand that for some people the cost of vaccinations is high (again, with Kaiser, no extra cost), but that has to seem minor compared to having to leave the trip due to illness.
  • I also would recommend getting all the shots necessary to stay well. As the previous person mentioned, I also have Kaiser and they recommended the Hep A and Hep B in addition to the Yellow Fever. You also want to be sure you have your tetnus shot updated just in case. It's best to be safe than sorry. Kaiser also gives us Cipro just in case you are ill with either a stomach problem or bronchitis. And definitely get and take the malaria pills.
  • Thanks so much for the information. We are going on our first safari in October of 2014 and I am trying to sort out the shots. The CDC recommends Typhoid - Have any of you taken that shot?? And how about Meningitis? Any one taken that shot? And they do mention rabies vaccine for travelors involved in outdoor or camping, hiking, .....that put you at risk for animal bites.
  • As a personal response, not necessarily relevant to east Africa … Yes, to the typhoid, no, to meningitis and re the rabies ….. on a slightly different tangent … if I were going on safari I would be more concerned to keep well out of the personal space of any wild animal lest it kill me. I think rabies would be the least of my problems, then.

Seriously, I didn't have a rabies shot for Africa or South America. We don't have rabies in Australia, but perhaps I should have had the shot before I started travelling regularly to North America because it is present there.

As always, you need to make your own informed decisions regarding your own health. I am merely giving you my personal opinion on a web site.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Here is an article by Peter Greenberg, the TV and newspaper "travel expert" that you may find helpful:
    http://petergreenberg.com/2014/07/22/diseases-travelers-can-catch-popular-destinations/. When in doubt, follow CDC guidelines and check with your local travel clinic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file