electrical

I see a previous unanswered post about electrical current aboard ship. I have the same question, particularly in regards to charging tablets, etc. Do we need adapters or voltage converters?

Comments

• Hi Melanie,

If you go to the page for your trip here on the Tauck site, you will see a tab Before you Go. Check down that list and you will see When you Arrive. The details of the on board current are discussed. You will probably need an adapter plug to allow your appliances to to fit into the power point …. or whatever you call the thing with holes that you stick your plug with prongs into that produces the magic of electricity.

Cheers,

Jan
  • When I did this tour, I only had an adapter for the outlet. Most items do not need a converter. If you check your chargers, they should say, 110/220. I was just on the L'Austral and plugged my items that needed charging into the outlet using the adapter. I do remember that there is also a 110 outlet but it was difficult to locate.

This is a fascinating tour and one of my favorites.
  • edited June 2014
    Kathy18 wrote:
    When I did this tour, I only had an adapter for the outlet.
    Outlet! That's the word Americans use! The American language continues to be a wondrously peculiar thing!

Cheers,

Jan

Outlet: Also a kind of shop. Who knew!
  • SueSue
    edited June 2014
    Jan,

I notice you use the words power point. To most of us Americans that is the name of a computer application used to create slides. And we are all supposed to be speaking the same language. So I guess we think the Australian version of English is a peculiar and wonderous thing! Two countries separated by the same language!

Sue
  • Hello, Sue.

If I had been referring to the computer programme I would, of course, have referred to it in the correct manner as Power Point, using the form for a proper name. These subtle differences are quite important, particularly when dealing with the King's English. Before you get in a twist over the fact that our dear Lady Elizabeth is indeed a Queen, I remind you that I am quoting the title of one of the most significant reference works on the form and use of the English language.

If you think I was being offensive in my use of the phrase wondrously peculiar can I disabuse you of that? The OED will confirm that, due to the infinite elegance of the English language, I was being complimentary. I'm sorry you've seen fit to reject it.

As to the use of the English language in Australia, I can only agree with you. It is wondrously peculiar and that makes us deliriously happy. But, on a cautionary note, I have to tell you that despite being the country that invented the word, without exclusively mandating the concept, bogans can be found far and wide … even within the covers of the said OED.

Jan
  • Jan,

I did not take wonderously peculiar as offensive at all. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just remarking on the differences in terminology in different countries using the same language. And I always love your posts.

Hope we meet on a tour someday!

Sue
  • jdurkin wrote:
    Hi Melanie,

If you go to the page for your trip here on the Tauck site, you will see a tab Before you Go. Check down that list and you will see When you Arrive. The details of the on board current are discussed. You will probably need an adapter plug to allow your appliances to to fit into the power point …. or whatever you call the thing with holes that you stick your plug with prongs into that produces the magic of electricity.

Cheers,

Jan

I uderstand from looking at L'Austral website and Tauck documentation that there is both european and US type electrical sockets - so adapters needed if you are from anywhere else (UK, Australia etc)
  • I understand from looking at the L'Austral website and Tauck documentation that there are both european and US type electrical sockets on board the ship. So if you are from anywhere else (UK, Australia - like us) you will need adapters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file