The not-so-fit

I'm wondering how fit one has to be and if there is any point in anyone's going on this safari whose days as a mountain goat are over. The safari looks like a great way of seeing more than on the usual tours but if a particular activity looks too strenuous for one partner can he/she stay behind and be happy?

Has any reader been in this position?

Comments

• I'm anxious to see the responses you get to your question, Brian. We're going on the September 9 trip and I was wondering the same thing. We are active adults, but not triatheletes.
  • Great question, have you tried contacting Tauck? You can email them & ask, they should be able to give you a little more insight into the pace of the trip than the website or brochure does. We are looking at this trip for next year, would love to hear feedback from both of you when you return. Have a terrific trip!!
  • Hi Brian,

My name is Jeremy and I am one of the folks at Tauck who built the American Safari product and are responsible for its operation.

Long story short, this trip is not designed for "tri-athletes"! If you have an average level of fitness (have no trouble walking or climbing stairs) you should be more then fine. The "active" elements are designed to better connect you to Yellowstone and its environment - not to make you break a sweat.

We think you will love this journey. Small groups, staying inside Yellowstone, completing both the north and south loops of the park and hopefully wonderful wildlife viewing. American Safari is a great way to experience this amazing place.

Enjoy!
    Jeremy
  • Many thanks, Jeremy. We can walk and can climb stairs so this trip sounds possible for us. I'd phoned your office but the lady I spoke to was not so specific.

I can see the difficulty in specifying fitness. You could require participants to have climbed Everest within the last five years and be pretty sure then that none would have problems but you would have few takers, I imagine. Without specifying fitness some people might turn up and get into difficulties. I would hate to spend $5000 and travel 5000 miles and have problems.

Your Safari looks quite excellent and I congratulate you for devising it. I deduce from other responses to my posting that the level of fitness required is a question that can occur to potential participants. Can I suggest that your office, brochure and web site convey your advice?

Brian
  • Hello, Andrea, we haven't booked yet but decision time is approaching. We'd really like to know how you get on. Certainly promises to be a great experience.

Brian
    Andrea wrote:
    I'm anxious to see the responses you get to your question, Brian. We're going on the September 9 trip and I was wondering the same thing. We are active adults, but not triatheletes.
  • I will be sure to let you know, Brian. This is our third Tauck trip and I, too, fell in love with the tour when I read about it.
  • Brian, the trip was wonderful, but I know you want more details than that! I know you were concerned about the level of activity so I'll limit my comments to that right now.
    Day one was easy - the walk around the Fountain Paint Pots was on a boardwalk that circled the thermal features and it was up to the individual just how far and how long to walk.
    Day two started early with a 6:30am optional tour with a National Park Guide of the thermal features near the Old Faithful Inn. Again, it was on boardwalk and not too strenuous. There was an easy walk in the afternoon to "Artist's Point" (just a few stairs) and then a more strenuous hike down to the lower falls. The walk down the switchback was easy - the walk up was more difficult. The walk down to the lower falls was optional.
    Biking on day four was relatively easy, flat roads, and you had your choice of groups based on how strenuous a ride you were looking for. The coach stayed with us, so if you wanted to opt out, it wouldn't be a problem. The float trip and day five was easy - just sit back and relax.
    The hiking on day six was cross-country - not on trails. There were three groups - fast/moderate/leisurely. There were two people who chose not to go because of the uneven terrain. Again, the coach was there for them.
    The last day at the ranch was great. Our director offered (several times) to have a "stagecoach" ready for those who didn't want to ride horses, but everyone did (including an amazing woman who was far closer to 80 than 75. After a few minutes in the saddle we all relaxed and let the horse do the work.
    I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.
  • Andrea, what a detailed and helpful reply. I am most grateful to you and I'm sure that other potential participants who have been wondering about fitness will be, too. THe tour looks now as though it would suit us very well. That Tauck provides back-up transport is very reassuring. All we need now is dollars.

I wish you equally rewarding trips in the future.
This discussion has been closed.