Free time in Rome

We added a day in Rome after the tour is complete. Any suggestions on what to do that we won't get to on the tour? Restaurants? Thank u

Comments

• My wife and I drove from Paris to Rome where we caught a tour (not Tauck). I had no interest, at that time, to even go on a tour, but my travel agent (cousin) suggested we take a 7 day tour of Italy. We did it and were surprised how much we enjoyed it. I then talked to people about Tauck and followed that tour up with three Tauck tours...with numbers four, five and six scheduled for this summer and next winter.

Anyway, I had scheduled an extra day in Rome before flying to Berlin for a few days. I found a company in Rome where I could hire a private car, driver, and tour guide to take us to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. It was very reasonable and the driver picked us up at our hotel, along with our luggage, took us on the drive to Pompeii where we met up with a tour guide for just the two of us and then took us to the airport to catch our flight later in the evening. It was a great, comfortable ride in a Mercedes S-Class with the driver giving us a running tour of the area while we drove. Once at Pompeii we met up with our guide and spent two hours with her going over the city and being given a great history lesson. There were no other tourists there since we met early, just after the city had opened. The only other people we saw were in the piazza when we had worked our way back there at the end of the tour. She purposefully started the tour at the area furthest from the entrance for that reason. The rest of the guests were moving in the opposite direction.

In fact, as we walked by one area, the guide told us that there was a house being renovated to look as it would have before Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D. It was not open to the public, but soon would be. Her uncle was the head of security in Pompeii and he came over to her and unlocked the doors for us to visit. If it had been a group of people he wouldn't have done that, but for the two of us, he did. In fact, the guide had not been allowed to see it until then.

We then drove down to the Amalfi Coast and stopped in several small towns, including Positano where we had a nice lunch on the beach and did some shopping as we walked down, and back up, the rather steep hill. It was a great day. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was probably around €400-500 (just guessing, it was four years ago). The email addresses are info@driverinitaly.com or driveinitaly@gmail.com. The contact person is Roberto. I have no horse in this race and will not get anything from him, but am just passing the information to you. His phone number is : +39 340.606.8032 and the website is www.driverinitaly.com. I am going on a Disney Cruise in a couple of weeks, followed by a Tauck Safari and I am using him for the excursions on the cruise in several European cities.

Just a suggestion, hope it helps. I am sure there are other companies that do the same. I am just familiar with this one and was happy with the trip and service.
  • Sounds amazing. Thank You for the info
  • You're welcome. If you work with him, let me know what your evaluation is. I will see Roberto in about three weeks in Rome. I am bringing his kids packages of Oreos...they can't them in Rome, I guess. He has our excursions set up in Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Naples (Pompeii and Positano), Catania, Corfu, Dubrovnik, and Venice. The benefits of using him is that we can adjust our trip if we see some place we want to stop at, or skip somewhere we thought we would. He also has special passes to drop us off very close to the venues we want to see and then come back and pick us up. A big time saver over "herding the cats" on the bus. Although overall the cost is significant for all of those spots in total, when I compared the costs to the Disney excursions I'd have used, it is almost a wash.

Since you have a day to do something different, the Almafi trip would be a great one...or pick some other spot...he'll take you where you want to go. I don't know how many people you have with you, but he customizes it for your party. I have five this time and the actual cost of the car and driver is the same as it would be if it was just two, or one...as long as he doesn't have to provide another car and driver for a very large party. Oh yea, he can order tickets you'll need in advance.

• Tauck will take you to the colliseum and the vatican, including St Peters.

I suggest you go to see the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain which are close to each other. Also, if you have free time when you are near the colliseum, you could go walking in the Forum or go to see Michelangelo's Moses at the church of St Peter in Chains.

Enjoy your trip.

Sue
  • All good places to see...in fact, must places to see. I was assuming Jenny was talking about the extra day after the tour was over even though she used the phrase "free time" in her title. Her question seemed to want suggestions of what to do after the tour was over.
  • A group of us did the forum the after the collosiem. The TD gave us the group ticket so was free.

The pantheon and trevi are free also. We went to nice restaurant for lunch that day near drop off and followed rick Steve's suggested walk to Spanish steps that passed both.

Instead of going all the way to Pompeii the ruins near Rome are recommended, the name escapes me but it begins with a H. It is said it is better preserved than Pompeii.

Get rick Steve's Italy book. I picked it up from library then when ready downloaded to my nook app on my iPod. Also, recommend his radio app for learning and seeing sights.
  • edited May 2014
    I think you are talking about Ostia Antica, which are the ruins of the early sea port of Rome (not even close to the water anymore). Great place to visit also. The difference between Ostia Antica and Pompeii is that they have attempted, in places, to renovate some of Pompeii to look as it did before Mt. Vesuvius erupted. There will be more travel time to Pompeii but it is a great drive and the towns and villages along the way are great to drive through, shop, or get a bite to eat. The are also great Kodak moments, if you are a photographer.

You won't go wrong with either one. Ostia Antica is a ½ day trip, while Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast are a full day. It all depends on what you want to see and how much time you have.

Good luck. I have been to both and enjoyed them.
  • Thank u all! I am off to do some research!
  • crackers54 wrote:
    Instead of going all the way to Pompeii the ruins near Rome are recommended, the name escapes me but it begins with a H. It is said it is better preserved than Pompeii.

Did you mean Herculaneum, Crackers?

I agree with nvdb about Ostia Antica. Fascinating … and closer!

Cheers,

Jan
  • jdurkin wrote:
    Did you mean Herculaneum, Crackers?

I agree with nvdb about Ostia Antica. Fascinating … and closer!

Cheers,

Jan

Yes that is the place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file