Mosquito Repellant Recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good mosquito repellant that works? We are taking the Grand Alaska trip on June 21 and have heard that Mosquitos are an issue in interior Alaska. For people that have taken this trip before, is it even necessary?

Comments

• I went to REI and got something called "Jungle Juice" with a 100% deet. They say it is very effective. Were leaving Anchorage on 6/7 so we'll see. Have a good trip.
  • I know that Alaskan mosquitoes have their own identification numbers with the aviation controllers, but 100% Deet is pretty strong. Just a suggestion, but I would try some of it on small parts of my skin to make sure I didn't have a reaction. As I read about it, anything higher than 30% is over kill. Even the U.S. Navy Seals recommend using insect repellants with no more than 30-35% Deet content. They stomp around some of the worst, mosquito infected places in the world.

It is kind of like sunscreen...anything over 30 SPF is just wasted money. Products with 10% Deet last about 2 hours...25% four to five hours. It doesn't sweat off the same way that sunscreen does. In fact, it is recommended NOT to use a combination Deet-Sunscreen product just because you will be putting on sunscreen more often and you shouldn't add Deet that often. You can also put Deet on your clothes and it will stay there for a couple of washings.

Just FYI. Do what you wish. I don't know if you are taking children with you, but I would definitely test the 100% on their skin before leaving. I am heading to Africa and taking products with 20-25% Deet. I am also not taking any spray stuff since most of the spray ends up in the air or on the ground. Lotion and wipes work great and they also don't bother the people around you when you apply them.

Good luck. Enjoy the trip. Alaska is a great place to visit.
  • edited May 2014
    ndvb, or anyone.

How about using DEET to treat clothing accessories that can be easily removed and placed in a ziplock when a game drive is over or when the danger of mosquitoes has lessened? Would it work as well while reducing the chance of a reaction since the DEET would not be applied directly to the skin? How would treating a scarf (or buff) to protect head and neck areas, ankle straps used to keep pants clear of bicycle chain, and wrist sweat bands placed around the shirt cuffs work? I'm not sensitive to much of anything, my wife is just the opposite, but I'm the one mosquitoes seem to think is a gourmet meal!
    tinysmile_cry_t.png

• The product you spray clothing with is called PERMETHRIN And is not the same as Deet. It last about 6 weeks and through several clothes washings. We originally used this product which we got from our Travel doctor clinic on our first trip to a Malaria area, it's good for other insects too. Should be sprayed on your clothing in an open area and thoroughly dried before packing. Please look the product up on line for correct information and instructions
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks. Certainly another great option.

I found exactly what I had in mind on Amazon- leg gaiters/sleeve Cuffs that you can treat with Permethrin:

51KL%2BeZKJiL.jpg
  • Thanks for all of the great suggestions. If possible, I would love it if the Forum Moderator could respond about whether or not you truly need mosquito repellant on the Grand Alaska trip. Would love to hear opinions from other folks that have taken this trip too.
  • I've never been to Alaska so I have not done research about when And where in Alaska there are likely to be problems. I suggested the spray as a helpful alternative to Deet. In Alaska you certainly do not have to worry about Malaria, the other mosquito-bourne problems you would have to research. If I heard there was a chance of mosquitoes in Alaska, then I would have a repellant with me just in case, I can be bothered by mosquito bites if I get them so would want too avoid bites that might have an impact on my Tauck experience.
    I have a feeling that the lovely Tauck Tim might give the facts that he can and leave you to decide for yourself. My gut feeling is, take it with you just in case.
    Please let us know about whether there are mosquitoes when you get back, since Alaska is certainly somewhere I hope to visit soon. I'm lucky that so far on my Tauck travels I have avoided the times to visit places when the bugs are at their most nasty, like in Australia at Uluru, where we had none, but at other times of the year people have to wear bug hats!
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Cathy1052,

Mosquitos are pretty prevalent in Alaska in the summer time, in fact, so personally, I would advise bringing some! My mother, father, sister and I went on a different Tauck Alaska trip a number of years ago, and we did not bring bug repellant before we left — the first night we got there, we all took a quick stroll around dusk, and when we got back in, all of us (and particularly my mother) had been bitten pretty badly. We tracked some down the next day, and applied it religiously before going outside at any length of time. However, you shouldn't need anything more than that either. Mosquito repellant was sufficient to keep them off of us, and I don't think we got more than the occasional bite after that point.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file