Options

uS credit cards

In Malta and Italy, are US credit cards accepted? If paying in cash, should we have euros or will US dollars be accepted?

Comments

• Options
    In Italy you can pay by credit card, but it is recommended in travel books safer to pay by cash. Best to have Euros for Italy you really don't want to use US dollars. You can get some foreign currency at AAA if you are a member.
  • Options
    Some of the smaller local shops, mainly in Italy, do not accept credit cards. You will need euros for those. For places that do accept credit cards, I've never had a problem paying that way. Do not expect to be able to pay with US dollars; even if somewhere does accept them, it's at a horrible exchange rate.

(Also, you might be able to get more relevant answers if you post in a forum for Italy or Malta, such as the Treasures of the Mediterranean forum.)
  • Options
    Hi Sjmitch,

I took a trip to Italy just year, and I had no problem using US credit cards in larger stores and in most stores in larger cities. It's always a good idea to keep a supply of Euros on you. Leigh's information is right on.

I hope this helps.

-Tim

Note: I'm moving this topic to the Treasures of the Mediterranean forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file