Additional security checks in Panama City and Miami

I just returned from the Panama Canal & Costa Rica trip. At the airport in Panama City, we went through complete security checks at the entry to the gate concourse (as expected) and then at the American Airlines gate. This was the complete check, including passports, removing shoes and sweaters, surrendering bottled (sealed) water, X-rays of person and carry-on baggage, etc. In Miami, after passing through Customs, we went through all of the above for the third time on the same trip. We had not left a secure area during the this time. This was very annoying and there was no reason given for the extra checks or warning that there would be additional security checks. I unfortunately bought a bottle of water for the flight after we passed the initial security check in Panama City and then was forced to immediately surrender it at the American gate. I understand the need for security but this seemed capricious, particularly at the American gate in Panama City. I've never taken my shoes off so many times in such a short period. It would have been nice to have had a warning to relieve some of the stress. Tauck was apparently unaware of the additional security in Panama City.

Comments

• I suspect airport security will be tighter everywhere until they find out what happened to the Malaysia Airlines jet.
  • It is not unusual to go through extra security checks without leaving secure areas. We missed a flight at Heathrow because of a long line at security there in the summer. Last month we were in another very long security line within the air side part but this time we had 5 hours between flights so it wax not an issue. Be aware, you will need to remove iPads from baggage at Heathrow which is no longer necessary at the US airports WF use. If you do not obey all rules you will find yourself in a very long and frustrating line of secondary searching
  • We had that same experience with the security check in Panama City. I asked someone there who is a frequent traveler between Miami and there and he said it is that way at all the Latin America airports now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file