Jan. 28 departure

Looking forward to meeting those on Jan. 28 departure - travelling solo from NJ - have travelled with Tauck many times before - always great !

Questions for those who have taken the trip --

how was WiFi on ship & in hotels. Ship info says it has in-room wi fi - any comments on experience would be helpful.

Would also appreciate info on the "hikes" - are we talking walking uphill on paved (or pebble roads) or rock climbing - are good walking shoes enough or do I have to bring hiking boots ?
RCB

Comments

• We just returned from this wonderful trip, and I'm happy to try to answer any questions.

The wi-fi on the ship was easy to access, slow at times (as you'd expect) but otherwise reliable.

Sneakers are fine for all the walks. Many people walked in sandals, even in the rain forest or on rocky shores. Some wet landings are rocky, and you'll want some kind of water-shoe (Tevas, crocs, etc); others are sandy, so that bare feet are safe. The guides always provided water and towels if you wanted to carry your shoes on board, walk to the beach, and then put on walking shoes. Whenever we had a chance to walk, the guides offered 'easier' and 'harder' options, but the 'hardest' was perhaps 3 miles round trip.

Fyi: attire on board ship was very casual. Perhaps because all the guests were from Tauck, the ship's dress code was relaxed. While some men wore jackets, others dined in bermuda shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers; women's evening attire ranged from capris to skirts to slacks.

The guides and naturalists were fantastic: knowledgeable, committed, personable. They could not have done more to provide information, assistance, enrichment, and fun.

• I am prone to motion sickness and would appreciate your input on you experience on the comfort of sailing on such a small ship. The smallest ship I have experienced is the 500 passenger Regent Navigator. Itinerary looks wonderful but I don't want to look forward to sea sickness spoiling the trip. Thank you.
    fms
  • fms, we noticed little problem with motion sickness among those traveling with us. There was one night when we had rain while the ship was moving rapidly and a few people had a rough time. A few people wore some sort of wrist bands that are supposed to use a pressure point. They are available at drugstores. None of them seemed sure that they helped, but one woman said the day she didn't wear it she didn't feel as well.

Only saw one person wearing a patch behind his ear.

There is certainly more motion on the Tere Moana than there is on a big cruise ship, but not bad at all when we traveled in early February. There are numerous landings by Zodiac or tender that take you from the ship to islands. Those can be exciting but they're short.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file