Options

Flight Arrangements

This is bit early since we aren't planning on going until 2015 (doing Alps this year), but just out of curiosity I was looking at flight info to/from Africa (using Delta's site and Travelocity.) We let Tauck make our flight arrangements for England, Scotland, Wales this past summer and everything was fine, but I booked our flights to Munich.

If we can swing it, we might try Business Class again for the Tanzania/Kenya Safari trip. Airfares seem to be all over the place. In Tauck's favor, payment is delayed, they have lenient change and refund policies, and claim to offer "significant savings on Business Class airfare on select flights." That wasn't the case for our flights to/from Munich which is why I made my own arrangements. Though Delta will have had my money many months early, it was actually nice, psychologically speaking, breaking the payments up into an early airfare payment and later tour balance payment, though I guess I could start paying Tauck early too.

I don't know if we have enough Delta miles to reduce the fair much, but hopefully after this next trip we'll have enough to save some, so I would like to stay with Delta (or partner KLM,) especially since our closest airline hub is Atlanta, Delta's home base.

From reading various posts it appears most Tauck travelers depart Nairobi in the late evening (on Kenyan or British AL?). The Delta/KLM flight leaves Nairobi in the AM before we get there.

So with that rather long bit of background, has anyone flown Business Class- US to Arusha/Nairobi to US? What were your experiences? Comments? Recommendations? Best fares, carriers, shortest layovers, etc., etc. Would it be worth my while to see a travel agent?

Comments

• Options
    Because you are flying to Arusha there is vey little choice of airlines to fly there without going through Nairobl. We used Tauck's flights for this trip to Africa because it was our first time going to Africa at the time and we were a little nervous. Their flights had us going from Philly to Detroit then Amsterdam then Arusha, there was no option given to us to fly any other way in the US. Now we know different and when we go to Tanzania this year we are going from Newark to Amsterdam. Now we are well travelled I have to say that Nairobi airport is one of the most horrible airports we have flown through, and I would want to avoid the experience if I could. I think I have read posts here that mention to fly to Nairobi BA it entails staying a night over in Nairobi to catch the connecting BA flight. In addition I also remember that flying coach on KLM was one of the most cramped seating arrangements I have ever encountered on all My flying and I am only5 feet 2 ins. The group of tall Dutch teenagers on Our flight had their legs all over the isles, so if you can manage business Class,I would recommend it. Amsterdam airport is also one of those airports where there is little seating until they open up the gate not long before you board the flight, so there's a chance you might find yourself sitting on the floor as I have done on trips through Amsterdam with long layovers. If you do use BA and go through Heathrow, please allow a big amount of time between flights because their security is tough and you have to go through security again even when you stay airside. We missed an internal flight in England this year because of a delay insecurity. This sounds all so negative but we love to travel and have taken manyTauck tours. This is a fantastic trip!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks.

The Business Class flights to JRO I found searching using Delta's website and a multi-city (pseudo round trip) search criteria, don't seem to be too bad, with reasonable layovers - ATL - AMS - JRO, but the return flights on Delta/KLM are pretty bad unless you accept a gigantic increase in fare. The route itself, NBO - AMS - ATL, is OK, but to get the lowest Bus Class fare means spending the night in Nairobi for a morning departure and a 14 hr layover in ATL before our local connecting flight. It looks like we save thousands if we accept the layover and spend the night in ATL than if we choose a better flight. Even a Travelocity return routing, NBO- LHR - ATL, which is a bit cheaper, has a 7 1/2 hour layover in ATL.

Also, flight amenity info is a bit scarce (from Delta and Travelocity) for all but the Delta trans-Atlantic segments. Unlike our upcoming Delta flight to/from Munich which shows the newer lay-flat seats (in Delta's Business Elite), the AMS - JRO and NBO - AMS segments don't show the type of seats. If I'm forking over that kind of money for Business Class, I want to be certain they are great seats. I looked on Trip Advisor's Seat Guru website which has more info about the seats, but without knowing specific model aircraft, it is hard to tell what you'll get.

We also flew through AMS on the way to Edinburgh this summer- you are right, minimal gate seating. Also, we arrived from Atlanta on one end of the airport and had to walk-run to catch or next flight because the departure gate was on the opposite end. There was no time to stop and look at anything!!! Hopefully, NBO will be better if and when they get done repairing the damage from the big fire last August!

Anyone else have more insights into flights to/from the US for this trip?
  • Options
    Hello again AlanS. We cannot very often afford the luxury of Business class, so our solution is to go to our destination a couple of days early, much cheaper paying for two extra nights in a Tauck hotel than two business class air fares. Then we have time to get used to the time change, get a massage at the spa and sort out the coach class knots in our bodies and check out a few of the sites that Tauck don't include on their tours, this worked really well in Australia and South Africa, at each of these places we did our own site seeing that were some of the favorite 'finds' of our trips. Maybe this could be a solution for you too. Happy travels!
  • Options
    If you can afford it, business or first class is worth it. I have a boatload of miles so I am using them for first/business class for this trip. My flight home, Nairobi to Dulles through Addis Ababa, is first/business on Ethiopian Airlines. Not sure how I feel about that (the airlines not first/business class). Anyone here ever been on Ethiopian Airlines?

The flight to Mt. Kilimanjaro is from Venice and not the US, so I can't help on the best route from the US. I am meeting my daughter and her family for a Disney cruise from Barcelona to Venice before I go to Africa. I've never traveled with Disney, but I figure they will keep the kids happy and busy. At least I hope so.

• Options
    Out flight experience on this trip is a bit skewed as we were booked on the Egypt/Jordan trip, airfare San Francisco to London, to Cairo...our trip was cancelled and we had to scramble to rebook the Kenya/Tanzania Classic Safari (a phenomenal trip, by the way). We had booked premium ecomony as we could have handled the seating in the original time frames. When we had to rebook, we chose business as the trip was significantly longer. Because of a snafu with British Air (we would have lost our entire airfare...Tauck, most generously picked up the change fees) our choices for flights only two months away were quite limited. We ended up flying from SF to London, overnighting, then London to Nairobi, overnighting, and then flying (at our expense) Precisionaire to Arusha. It was an expensive and exhausting trip. BA does not fly directly into Arusha and the stopover in Nairobi is a bother. I would recommend the Tauck endorsed KLM flight from Amsterdam.
    The return trip was a bit better as we left from Nairobi and could fly to London, and then on to SF, but it was still one long trip, almost 30 hours all told. We are tall, and the economy seats are horrible for us. If I were to rate the business class on various airlines, I would rate BA toward the bottom. The seats are lie flats and comfortable, but you have to step over someone else to get to the aisle, and the food is pretty mediocre. Although, their wine selections are quite good. We have not flown KLM business, so can't comment there.
    If you are flying in 2015, you certainly have a lot of time to ponder the best route. However, if you can secure your airline fare with Tauck, at this time, that might not be a bad deal. You can still cancel within a reasonable time frame. This is still a pretty long trip whether you do a stopover in London or Amsterdan. I would strongly advise flying busines.
  • Options
    It's good to see all these tips! As far as getting flights through Tauck for 2015 now, you may find they will not have negotiated their prices with the airlines so very far ahead. We have run into this problem when we wanted to use the Tauck flights instead of booking them ourselves.
    It may be my imagination but whenever we start to look at flight prices on the internet the airlines always seem to have put the price up the next time we look and then the next too. I'm not sure if 'they' realize that we are interested and hike up the price, but anyway sometimes we look at the prices from a different email address and that seems to fool someone out there because the price does not go higher when we look from our usual address. Anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    Yes, airfare "deals" are getting harder and harder to find! I will share my classic airfare story...a few years ago we were doing the Black Sea to Prague Riverboat trip. I secured airfare on my own for business travel but kept trying to get a better price. One night I thought I struck gold! I secured the exact same flights, same business fare, for about $5,000 less! I was thrilled and already had that extra $5,000 spent, in my mind!! I kept trying to secure the reservations, but then I realized that the airfare was listing my home country as Latvia!! So, if you are Latvian, you get a heck of a deal on airfare!!! I think the lesson here is that as more people get informed about airfare, the harder it becomes to secure good fares! The upshot of the entire experience was that I was glad I had secured the price.
  • Options
    Hi all,

As British said, great tips! We travellers have to keep on our toes! When I look at those flights I would be arriving in Africa from Australia via Jo'burg, so I might have a few more options. Something has to make up for the zilch options I have flying from Melbourne to the States. Which is why I often fly across Europe into Boston, or take a roundabout route over the Pacific to SFO via Singapore. I have only made the mistake of flying MEL/SIN/HKG/SFO direct once. I have made my travel agent promise never to let me do that again. Note to self: Always break the journey in Singapore! Coming home from SFO via AKL is a doddle … and a joy on Air NZ. Keep that in mind for anyone planning on the OZ, NZ trip. Good flights and very pleasant.

Joyce, your potential flight saving story has made my afternoon! So glad you really hadn't spent that $5000! Boy, but you have to keep your wits about you!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    We made our own flight arrangements flying roundtrip from home to Washington D.C. We picked up Ethiopian Air in Washington D.C. and flew into Mt. Kilimanjaro with a stop in Addis Ababa. The return flight was Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Rome, Washington D.C. Normally we fly Delta and I was a little nervous flying Ethiopian Air. My husband had done research and learned that their safety record is superb and that they provide mechanical support for the airlines of Africa. It was less expensive than what was proposed by Tauck and we were extremely pleased with their service.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    LLVicky wrote:
    We made our own flight arrangements flying roundtrip from home to Washington D.C. We picked up Ethiopian Air in Washington D.C. and flew into Mt. Kilimanjaro with a stop in Addis Ababa. The return flight was Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Rome, Washington D.C. Normally we fly Delta and I was a little nervous flying Ethiopian Air. My husband had done research and learned that their safety record is superb and that they provide mechanical support for the airlines of Africa. It was less expensive than what was proposed by Tauck and we were extremely pleased with their service.

Thanks! You all have given me some more data points!

Yup, Business Class sure is pricey, but we are not contemplating it for the luxury, food, or wine, just the leg room, shoulder room, and possibly the chance to sleep (on lay-flat seats). Delta lay flat seats all have direct aisle access. My plan, at least at this time, is to make flight reservation sometime this summer after the airlines release their fares and routes, and start taking reservations. I think I read somewhere that happens about 11 months prior to the desired departure. I'll be getting serious this July since we are looking at a June 2015 Safari. I wish Tauck would list all the expected departures- I guess they add additional dates only as needed. I really want to take a departure that is typically a week later that the one listed (yet?).

Delta/KLM looks good schedule-wise except for the the morning Nairobi departure and a long layover in Atlanta. The morning Nairobi departure would require we stay an extra night in Nairobi since it departs before our on-tour flight arrives. A benefit of flying Delta's Business Class is we can use their Sky Club in Atlanta during the layover- if it works out to be too long, we'll just get a hotel room.

LLVicky- Thanks! We normally fly Delta too- trying to accumulate air miles. l just looked into Ethiopian Air out of IAD. We currently live in North Carolina so usually take a local flight to ATL but we could drive up and stay at our daughter's place in Alexandria. On Business Class, Ethiopian Air out of IAD is $3K cheaper per ticket for June 2014 flights than Delta/KLM from our home (stops in ATL and AMS) and $2K cheaper per ticket than straight KLM thru AMS outbound and AMS & LHR inbound) (using a Travelocity search), and I think the flight durations are shorter. I'm not sure I like the idea of stopping in Addis Ababa, but it is only for 2 hours each way.

They appear to be using Boeing 777-200LR on the transatlantic segments. They have sleeper seats, but not the ones that lay flat. Their website shows they have four new 787 Dreamliners too (first in Africa) but those have the same seats. I couldn't find the routes where they are being used, either. I know the aircraft might change before we go, but how did you like the ET Business class seats and the service and amenities in general?

Thanks for everyone's input.
  • Options
    We flew business class on Ethiopian Airlines and the seats reclined to flat. We made our arrangements thru Cheapo Air which I had used once before. I have found that it is best to confirm every detail with them before purchasing. Our experiences with stopping in Addis Ababa were completely different on the 2 legs of the journey. On the way over it was like we were stopping in a commuter airport, but there was a first class lounge with nice restrooms and food and drink. On the return trip the terminal was more like LA or one of the large terminals in Europe. There was both a first class lounge and a business class lounge. I didn't feel uncomfortable in either terminal. The food on the airline was as good as any I have had on an airline. In addition to food that was readily recognizable by sight and taste, they offered specialties of Ethiopia. I arrived at both ends of the journey rested and ready for what was ahead. I would repeat these arrangements without hesitation. Tauck met our flight in Mt. Kilimanjaro and took us to the airport in Nairobi.
  • Options
    Thanks again so much!!!

You pretty much sold me. There are a lot of ifs here, but unless my wife nixes ET for one reason or another, ET raises their fares a lot between now and then, Tauck comes up with an unbeatable bargain (Delta/KLM or other), or we end up with enough Delta frequent flyer miles to level the playing field, I think I'll try ET. In addition to the lower fares, I really like their enroute times with minimal layovers for both the IAD-ADD and ADD-FCO-IAD legs.

It is amazing, though my parents took many Tauck tours and our first was just this past summer to England, Scotland, Wales, I can't wait for the next one (Alps) and the one after that (2015 Safari)!!! Heck, I've got a proposed Tauck tour schedule mapped out for the next 6+ years!! I hope things in Egypt calm down a bit more, I would like to do Egypt & Jordan someday.
  • Options
    Looking at all the responses I look forward to the safari trip. You've even removed any anxiety for using Ethiopian Airlines. As long as it has some extra comfort in business class I'll be happy.

I know Tauck will come through. This is my fourth trip with them and all of them have been great. I've (we) went on the small ship tour from Istanbul to Athens and piggybacked the England, Scotland, and Wales with The Best of Ireland. Since the last trip my wife died and I am going solo on this one. I am piggybacking this after a Disney cruise with a daughter and her family. It'll all be an interesting test for solo traveling.

One question: is WIFI available in the hotels? Maybe two questions: do you know if the Verizon cell phones work during this trip?

Enjoy your New Year.
  • Options
    WiFi is available at all the locations although you might have to go to the lobby or bar area for reception and in some cases it came and went. We had Verizon service although we didn't use it more than a couple of times. We used Tango which is an internet tool like Skype. We used it on our Ipad. It is free and we were able to see our new granddaughter, who was born while we were on safari, and talk with our daughter.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    LLVicky wrote:
    We flew business class on Ethiopian Airlines and the seats reclined to flat. We made our arrangements thru Cheapo Air which I had used once before. I have found that it is best to confirm every detail with them before purchasing. Our experiences with stopping in Addis Ababa were completely different on the 2 legs of the journey. On the way over it was like we were stopping in a commuter airport, but there was a first class lounge with nice restrooms and food and drink. On the return trip the terminal was more like LA or one of the large terminals in Europe. There was both a first class lounge and a business class lounge. I didn't feel uncomfortable in either terminal. The food on the airline was as good as any I have had on an airline. In addition to food that was readily recognizable by sight and taste, they offered specialties of Ethiopia. I arrived at both ends of the journey rested and ready for what was ahead. I would repeat these arrangements without hesitation. Tauck met our flight in Mt. Kilimanjaro and took us to the airport in Nairobi.

Between your comments and the price difference, I was sold. Unfortunately while trying to find a good seat map for ET's 777 200LR (I don't want to be in the middle section of a 2 - 3 - 2 Business Class cabin) I ran across these reviews. They run the gamut from good to totally horrible (probably could have used an even worse term!): http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ethiopian.htm

A lot of the reviews are recent. Now I just have to hope that things improve over the intervening year and a half!

Late addition: I'd just like to add the ET industry reviews I read are good (propaganda?)- "Best Airline in Africa". ET was the first airline in Africa to get the new 787 Dreamliner (too bad an empty one caught fire at Heathrow- not because of the Lithium battery problem. It's back flying now) and they just took delivery of the first of what should be 5 new 777-300 ER's. I hope they can find good ground and flight crews to support this growth.
  • Options
    Go to www.seatmaestro.com and they have the seat maps for Ethiopian Airlines.
  • Options
    I went to Ethiopian's website last night and got a US phone number for them. I called and finalized my seats on the two flights of their's that I am on. It wasn't easy. My confirmation number is from United and doesn't work for them, so they looked up the flight and found my name. Communication wasn't the easiest. He didn't speak English very well and I speak no Ethiopian (With most foreign languages I at least know 10 words--although nine of them are usually food). I didn't want to be in the middle of the 2-3-2 seats either. I got in a window seat on both flights.

No, I don't know the phone number...sorry. Wait...let me look at my phone and see if it saved it. Yep, 1-800-445-2733, options 2, then 1.
  • Options
    To AlanS

We are taking this trip in July. We leave Nairobi at 10:25 PM on a KLM flight to Amsterdam to JFK, so I am confused why you said the Delta/KLM flights are only in the morning. Perhaps because your trip is still a bit out in time? Thanks
  • Options
    To AlanS

We are taking this trip in July. We leave Nairobi at 10:25 PM on a KLM flight to Amsterdam to JFK, so I am confused why you said the Delta/KLM flights are only in the morning. Perhaps because your trip is still a bit out in time? Thanks

My info was from the Delta website for a rather narrow criteria - business class, minimal layovers, local feeder through Atlanta, constructive 2014 date. I'm sure flights will be a little different in 2015.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but i don't think the airlines release fares/schedules/take bookings until 330 days before departure. After the recent hijacking of an Ethiopian Airliner by the copilot, I am having second thoughts about them.

I forget when he will be going, but I will wait to hear ndvd's report on ET before I book with them.
  • Options
    I'll give you a report when I arrive home. My ET flights are the returning leg. I go on the June 28-July 10 trip and will return on the 12th. I have heard the seating on ET Business is with lay-flat chairs. Hope so.
  • Options
    Another Star Alliance option (if using miles for an award or interested in earning miles) is Turkish Airlines which has a daily (well, nightly) flight into JRO from Istanbul. We have award tickets using United miles from Washington to Brussels to Istanbul to Kilimanjaro. Under United's recent award structure change this works out reasonably OK as a mixed mode trip (First to Europe and then Business on 2 class aircraft). The routing makes more sense than it sounds when you look at a map.

Downside is you arrive in Arusha at 2:45AM! Tauck assures us that they'll pick us up at that time. Then off to the hotel to crash (with extra night).
  • Options
    On my way to Tanzania I fly Turkish Airlines (miles--business) from Venice to Istanbul to Kilimanjaro. I get in about 1AM. Tauck does the pick up.
  • Options
    LLVicky -

We are looking at the same Ethiopian Air flight through DC in September. Departing Nairobi there's a 7:35 pm but it only gives you 35 minutes to connect in Addis Ababa, alternate is a 5:35 pm. departure. Tauck says to depart after 7:00 pm. What flight did you take from Nairobi and did you have any problem with the connection in Addis Ababa? Thanks for any information you can provide.
  • Options
    Our flight was scheduled to leave Nairobi at 6 pm to arrive in Addis Ababa at 8:05 for a connecting flight leaving at 10:15. There was not a problem with Tauck getting us to the airport in plenty of time. The airport was still in a mess from the fire. Communication was a problem for us because we are used to immediate feedback. We left late but still arrived in Addis Ababa in plenty of time for the connection. Only because of communication issues I would opt for the 5:35 departure.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BillWest66 wrote:
    LLVicky -

We are looking at the same Ethiopian Air flight through DC in September. Departing Nairobi there's a 7:35 pm but it only gives you 35 minutes to connect in Addis Ababa, alternate is a 5:35 pm. departure. Tauck says to depart after 7:00 pm. What flight did you take from Nairobi and did you have any problem with the connection in Addis Ababa? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Bill- I read somewhere (ET website, Tripadvisor, Flyertalk-not sure?) that ET is pretty strict about checking in at Addis no later that a certain window. Again, I'm just reaching here, but I think the talk was that it was 2 - 3 hours prior. Later than that they couldn't guarantee you would be allowed to board. I'm not sure why that would be, especially if you are connecting from an ET flight from Nairobi- they wouldn't give your seat away, would they?!?!? Do they ever depart early? I've read airport congestion and passenger processing can be slow there. In any case, I would really research it carefully, and, at a minimum, take the earlier, 5:35 flight from Nairobi- which would mean you would miss dinner and have an early afternoon ride through Nairobi traffic.

The evening meal on departure day is not the farewell dinner, that takes place the night before in the Fairmont Mara Safari Club before you fly to Nairobi the next morning. Maybe someone who has taken this trip will confirm, but I think Tauck's departure recommendation is based on number of things- first, the Tauck-booked flights and those on KLM, BA, etc. typically depart very late at night (2300 - 0200), the traffic in Nairobi can be horrendous, and Tauck would like you to take a late flight to keep the number of trips to the airport to a minimum.

You will likely need to make a decision sooner, but ndvb is flying home after his safari on ET this July- I'm waiting to hear his report before we make our decision on whether to fly ET- but we don't go on safari until June 2015.
  • Options
    I am on the earlier 1735 flight out of Nairobi. I will be sure to post an evaluation of Tauck's effort to get me there on time (hopefully not through heavy traffic), the airport, and ET's flight from Nairobi to Addis Ababa (and that airport). I am due to arrive at 1940 and connect to a 2215 flight to Dulles. If there aren't any major issues, I hope this works out.

Someone here told me about a problem I might have if the flight to Dulles is cancelled. Something about having a Visa in Addis Ababa to leave the airport if I have to go to a hotel. I am not getting one, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on that issue.

It sounds like Vicky got home safely and on time--that is a good thing. Knowing the communication issues I had on the phone to get my seats assigned, I will keep her suggestions in mind about the airport. Thanks, Vicky, for the heads-up.

• Options
    ndvb wrote:
    I am on the earlier 1735 flight out of Nairobi. I will be sure to post an evaluation of Tauck's effort to get me there on time (hopefully not through heavy traffic), the airport, and ET's flight from Nairobi to Addis Ababa (and that airport). I am due to arrive at 1940 and connect to a 2215 flight to Dulles. If there aren't any major issues, I hope this works out.

Someone here told me about a problem I might have if the flight to Dulles is cancelled. Something about having a Visa in Addis Ababa to leave the airport if I have to go to a hotel. I am not getting one, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on that issue.

It sounds like Vicky got home safely and on time--that is a good thing. Knowing the communication issues I had on the phone to get my seats assigned, I will keep her suggestions in mind about the airport. Thanks, Vicky, for the heads-up.

Tauck confirmed that the 1735 is doable so we are booked on the same flights as you in September. Interestingly I had no problem at all with Ethiopian Airlines customer service getting seats assigned on the phone. They were immediately assigned and I received e-mail confirmation within minutes. I'll watch for your update on how your flights go.
  • Options
    Just returned last week from our Kenya & Tanzania Safari, what a fabulous trip! Flew business class on ET from DC to Kilimanjaro via Addis Ababa and returned on ET from Nairobi to DC via Addis Ababa. Flight to ADD was a 777, arrived about 70 minutes late at ADD but no problem as we had 3 hours to make the connection to Kiliminjaro. Flight was fine, seats were angled lie flat, food was so-so. On the return Tauck got us to the Nairobi Serena at about noon, had lunch and re-packed, picked up at 2 pm for transport to airport and checked in with plenty of time to spare. ADD to DC was a 787, seats and food were better than the 777. Arrived in DC right on time. Overall, I'd do ET again as the price was much better than a connection through Amsterdam, service was fine, food was edible and seating was as good as any other airline. Tauck says don't book departure from Nairobi before 7 pm but we had no problem with a 5:35 pm departure.
  • Options
    Thanks Bill!! I've been waiting for your report. I think you made up my mind (the Mrs has final say so :) )

I like the 2-2-2 business class seat configuration on ET's 787- both travelers have aisle access if sitting in the center section, like the 1-2-1 seating on Delta's 767-3/400's. It is much better than the 2-3-2 on their 777-200 & new 777-300's. It sounds like you might have flown on one of ET's older 777-200's- ET took delivery of 3 -4 new 777-300's this year. ndvb was lucky enough to fly home from Addis to IAD on one of ET's newer 777-300's, so it looks like you could end up on any one of three aircraft on either leg- 787-8, 777-200LR, or 777-300ER. I like the fact that the connecting flight is scheduled to arrive in Arusha just a little past noon, instead of late at night. I like the earlier departure from Nairobi, also.

FYI for anyone else thinking about ET, they finally updated their website with all their new aircraft and seating configurations.

Bill- How much in advance did you make your reservations? Did you know which aircraft you would fly when you made your reservations since you said you selected your seats at the same time, or did you need to contact them later to update seat selection once it was determined you would be returning on a 787? How full was the Business section on each leg? What did you do to kill time during your layovers in Bole airport in Addis? It was probably good to be an hour late- less time to kill?

As much as I would prefer Delta/KLM, ET's price just can't be beat, not to mention the duration, on average, is 4 hours less per flight than other carriers. The cost difference is enough to cover the cost of another trip or the airfare for one!

Thanks so much! Only 254 days, 16 hours, and 19 minutes to go! (but who is counting?!? : ) )

• Options
    I learned a valuable lesson from Tauck this weekend. Our flights had been changed for our next Tauck tour and it left us with barely a half hour layover and now not a direct flight, so we called Tauck as we booked flights through them and they were able to change things for us. While on the phone we learned that Tauck had been very busy for several days dealing with an Air France strike and rebooking all the people who were stranded onto other flights. They happened to explain to us that if you do not book your flights through Tauck and something like this happens, or the Chicago air traffic fire this past weekend, Tauck are not able to help their clients because they are not able to even access information on behalf of anyone who books their flights independently. This fact may perhaps persuade some people to sometimes pay a little extra and book through Tauck. Having said that, we have found that Tauck prices are sometimes cheaper.
    For a while now, especially long haul vacations, we use them, they will book ANY flight for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file