Tauck vs. booking with Princess

I am interested in the Grand Alaska tour, but am wondering whether the price difference between Tauck vs. simply booking with Princess is worth it. Even if I add up the piecemeal costs of excursions with Princess, it appears that Tauck still charges about $3K more. I realize from taking former Tauck trips that they'll provide airport transfers, handle luggage and cover gratuities. But I'd like to hear more about whether the Tauck premium is worth it. Thanks!

Comments

• I have never been on a cruise but I have been on five Tauck tours. I have looked at alternatives, but you really need to look behind all the glitz of the brochure to understand what you get with Tauck that others do not provide. It is not just about tips and luggage, but it is the depth of the entire experience which I have found others fail to match. Lesser cost tours might take you to place "A" or place "B", but I have found that what Tauck arrange at those places far exceeds the comparative bare glimpse which cheaper tours provide.
    Of course you get what you pay for, and as you say, the accommodation and logistics run so smoothly so you have to look at what YOU want. If it is just to say you have been somewhere, albeit crushed amongst masses of other people with unbelievably tight time scales then go for the more economical option. BUT if what you want is a knowledgeable Tour Director and seeing things at places which economy versions do not include then you should try to afford Tauck.
    Everyone has different priorities...................and budgets, so go with your heart bearing in mind that Gold star treatment and experience are almost guaranteed with Tauck - and I have not yet been disappointed on any of my five tours anywhere around the world be it in Europe, USA, India or Down Under. For me my starting point is Tauck, and any others try to prove to me that they provide something better, but nobody has convinced me yet since I found Tauck.
    Oh, by the way, I am in England and I DON'T work for Tauck!!
    Richard
  • Tauck Emily has explained the extras some of which I was going to mention. When I did this tour a few years ago, I knew someone who had done the Princess version. At that time the difference between the two was about $500, however we had extra days on the land part, all meals and didn't have to book the extra tours ourselves. I had been to Alaska twice before with other companies and when I did the Tauck one, I figured that I had seen and done more than the other two tours.
  • Emily
    You have almost convinced me that I should do that tour.
    Just need the bank balance to recuperate following Australia & New Zealand in October!
    Richard
  • What is this, Richard? Are you psychic? ;)

For me, as an Australian, I am just so sad that Tauck currently use P&O for the cruise component. So for the present, not gunna happen. :( I am awfully glad, however, that I did the small ship cruise out of Juneau. That was fabulous. It would be wonderful if Tauck resurrected that trip.

Cheers,

Jan

• Thank you so much to everyone for your comments. I didn't realize until today that you'd answered, because I thought I'd be notified by email if anyone posted! I checked back today and saw your posts. BTW, I did book the May 31 Grand Alaska tour back in December and am looking fwd. to it even more now!
  • Hey AnnetteE,

For the future, if you look in the top right hand corner of a topic, there are a bunch of links -- "Link To/Share This Topic" "Watch" "Email" and "Print". If you click on "Watch" that subscribes you to that topic, and you will receive an email to the address you use to login at Tauck.com whenever anybody replies.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • TauckTim wrote:
    Hey AnnetteE,

For the future, if you look in the top right hand corner of a topic, there are a bunch of links -- "Link To/Share This Topic" "Watch" "Email" and "Print". If you click on "Watch" that subscribes you to that topic, and you will receive an email to the address you use to login at Tauck.com whenever anybody replies.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

Tim-

I am not seeing the links this time, but found them under "Options" in the same location.

Maybe, I have been doing something wrong, but it seems I never receive an alert when there is a new post to a topic I am "watching." Of course, now that I am a "Tauck Junkie" I check forum activity for new posts almost daily. Sometimes it is to learn about other trips, sometimes I have a small nugget to offer, but in all cases it fans the flames of desire for our next trip!

It would be nice to have a PM (private message) option too- to be able to contact another member off forum without posting email addresses.
  • Tauck or others? Prior to booking the Grand Alaska tour I researched the heck out of the Internet. Copious notes on various tours and what you would experience for the cost. Yes, Tauck was more expensive, but only like $500.00 more. The peace of mind knowing if something went wrong that a Tauck personnel would be there to assist was worth that cost to us. In addition to that, by the time I lined up all the things we wanted to see and do on a trip like this, that $500 difference was even less by the time I added gratuities for all the other excursions etc. I have not met a person yet who has said, 'I wouldn't go with Tauck.' I'm looking forward to an amazing experience in Alaska. OH, by the way, if you would want to avoid P and O cruise lines, I believe Tauck offers a small ship cruise on the inner coastal waters which would get you to many Alaskan cities and experiences without using the other cruise lines. I wish they did that for Grand Alaska as well.

• I recently returned from this tour. We were unlucky with the weather. We enjoyed the land portion immensely but not the ship. Too many people even though the ship was only half full. The original itinerary was switched by Princess because the Copper Lodge had to close due to lack of staff, the Ketchikan visit was changed, I’m not sure why. We thought it might be due to Covid but I found out our tour and possibly one other were the only ones who did not go.
    Our Tour director had not done this old itinerary for years. We we went to Victoria and Butchart Gardens, lovely but we had been there before. That meant almost two whole days at sea in succession. We found that boring. One 45 minute lecture per day, otherwise games or drinking at the bar… not for us. We read a lot. A ferry broke down so we missed the three hour scenic train ride. And 16 of 39 got Covid. On reflection, it was probably our least value for money tour we have ever taken with Tauck. It was our first shot at a large cruise ship and probably our last. We may have felt a little differently if weather had cooperated but not much. Yes, we know Alaska has a lot of rain, so this was not an unexpected thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file