australian/new zealand currency

I checked with oanda currency site and was glad to see that the us dollar is stronger
than both the Australian and new Zealand dollar.i am heading out in early feb to both countries.
can anyone say what is better,just to use mainly u.s dollars or pay with a credit card
and use just a small amount of their currency?
mike from saratoga

Comments

• Hi Mike,

Please don't think you can use US$ here or in NZ for simple cash transactions. You can't. After all, you wouldn't assume a convenience store or a bus/train/tram would take US currency in say … Halifax? And besides, currency imperialism isn't a good look in the modern age, don't you agree? :)))

You will need to change your greenbacks for Australian or NZ currency at your hotel or bank or the airport upon arrival. Better still, buy some before you leave home. By all means, use a credit card for shopping, dining, hotels, etc., but do have some local currency with you if you want to buy small things.

As for exchange rates … swings and roundabouts, Mike. My A$ has been worth more than yours for some years now. Now that your Federal Reserve is easing up on the money printing illusion programme, your $ is regaining some of the value it lost during the recession you have been suffering from recently. Smoke and mirrors. Swings and roundabouts.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Use ATM, with Capital One Credit card if you have it, they don't have a transaction fee. Or credit card for transactions. They say you get the best rate that way.
This discussion has been closed.