Options

Luggage

Information provided by Tauck indicate that we are allowed only to take the Tauck duffel bag on days 4-5 and 10-12. For those that have been on this trip, does the "only" mean no backpacks as well? I would assume so, but am thinking about cameral equipment and immediate access to it. A small backpack would provide a couple of lenses and other equipment.

This sounds like a great trip. This my 4th Tauck tour--the other 3 were with my wife, who died this past September. I will be making this trip alone and have some reservations about traveling by myself. I know it will be fine, but there are still concerns. It is scheduled for 28 June.

Thanks for the information.

Comments

• Options
    The duffel (a very nice Eagle Creek one, by the way) replaces your suitcase and goes just as your luggage would on a regular trip. You still take your day bag with necessities (camera equipment, personal items) as you would on any other trip. Your larger suitcase, containing what you will not need for a few days goes on to the next destination. Those day bags or backpacks, however, still have to be carried on to small airplanes as carryons or will travel with you on safari trucks.
    This is a phenomenal trip, and you won't be disappointed. I understand your hesitation about traveling alone, but fellow Tauck travelers will always make you feel welcomed and a part of the group. That is one of the best parts about traveling with Tauck.
  • Options
    Joycesw has given you excellent advise. The only thing I can add is that I understand your reservations about traveling solo. I went to Africa 3 months ago and it was my first trip traveling solo. I, too, had reservations, but the trip turned out to be one of the best I have ever taken. Everyone was very welcoming and Tauck does an outstanding job making sure you have a fabulous trip. You are in for the trip of a lifetime - enjoy!
  • Options
    Thanks for the information about the luggage. I was just concerned about the backpack. Tauck does a wonderful job of making everyone feel welcomed. I picked the African trip for my initial solo trip based on past tours. I was a bit concerned about "free time" in a large city when other couples go off on their own and wondered, "Hmm. What am I going to do for the next four hours by myself in (fill in the blank for a city)."

I figure the African trip keeps us in smaller groups--especially in the Jeeps--and when we are in the hotel we'll still be in a group since going out and walking about by myself could emphasize where humans are in the food chain. This is a trial run for future trips and I anticipate it will work out well. It still creates a bit of anxiety.

I think this will be a great trip and I am looking forward to it.
This discussion has been closed.