Options

Danube Reflections Eastbound - Ideas for Day in Munich

My husband and I have booked the August 9th Eastbound trip and will arrive in Munich one day early. We are travelling from Boston and will arrive in Munich on Friday morning (August 8th). We will stay at the Tauck hotel (Charles Hotel) which I believe is near the train station. We are looking for ideas for sightseeing in the afternoon and following morning. We prefer to walk to our destinations for exercise after the long overnight trip and love to taste local foods. Any ideas? And if you are also on the same trip and will be in Munich early, we would love to hook up with fellow travelers.

Update: Don and I decided to take a self guided tour of the area around The Charles in Munich as air travel can have delays. Decided it was best to plan with no set timetable. We found the walking tour online and purchased maps of the area. There is quite a lot to see in the area and is posted as a 2 1/2 hr walking tour. Would love to meet fellow travelers for drinks Friday evening. Not sure how much time we will have in Munich in the morning so no plans yet.

Comments

• Options
    Mimi01886 wrote:
    My husband and I have booked the August 9th Eastbound trip and will arrive in Munich one day early. We are travelling from Boston and will arrive in Munich on Friday morning (August 8th). We will stay at the Tauck hotel (Charles Hotel) which I believe is near the train station. We are looking for ideas for sightseeing in the afternoon and following morning. We prefer to walk to our destinations for exercise after the long overnight trip and love to taste local foods. Any ideas? And if you are also on the same trip and will be in Munich early, we would love to hook up with fellow travelers.

We will be joining you on this wonderful adventure (Joyce & Ray, Ocala, Fl, formerly from Rhode Island). We have traveled with Tauck a number of times and have always had a wonderful experience. We will be arriving on August 6th and staying at "The Charles". We also will extend our trip at the other end and leave Vienna on August 19th. We are in the process of researching things to do pre/post cruise. On previous trips we have arranged with other travelers to hire private guides and found them more comprehensive and usually cheaper. If interested in doing private tours lets talk after the holidays.
  • Options
    My husband and I have booked the same trip going out of Boston on August 6th and arriving in Munich on the 7th. We have made no plans in Munich as yet. We just booked this weekend. We are snowbirds and will be back in NE in the spring. I will keep you posted when we make plans in Munich. We are also staying in Vienna until the 19th. This is our first river cruise and trip to the area, we are very excited!
  • Options
    JLam wrote:
    We will be joining you on this wonderful adventure (Joyce & Ray, Ocala, Fl, formerly from Rhode Island). We have traveled with Tauck a number of times and have always had a wonderful experience. We will be arriving on August 6th and staying at "The Charles". We also will extend our trip at the other end and leave Vienna on August 19th. We are in the process of researching things to do pre/post cruise. On previous trips we have arranged with other travelers to hire private guides and found them more comprehensive and usually cheaper. If interested in doing private tours lets talk after the holidays.

We (Don and Donna) are also staying in Vienna until the 19th so would be interested in hearing about private tours. My one must do is to view the Imperial Palace compound which is located near the Ritz. If we can do this during planned free time we would have no current plans for Monday the 18th. Please keep us informed.
  • Options
    JLam wrote:
  • Options
    Hi Fellow Travelers,

I've been doing some research on private tours and found John's Bavarian Tours. We are looking at his tour #'s 2, 5 and 7. You can see the details @ www.johns-bavarian-tours.com

The cost is a bit pricey but the tours are totally private and he acts as your private guide. Costs are as follows:
    #2 is 520 euros
    #5 is 580 euros
    #7 is 600 euros

Prices are per tour and the cost would be divided up among the number of people going. Let me know if you have any interest. My email is joyce10128@gmail.com

The suggestion by Mimi & Don to get together Friday evening is great, we are definitely in for that.

Looking forward to traveling with everyone.
  • Options
    We are also going on the August 9th river cruise!
    Cathy & Don
  • Options
    Hello Danube Reflections Aug 9 Group,
    We also arrive Munich on Aug 8...at 8:45am presuming no problems with flights...and will be at The Charles Hotel. This is our first riverboat and first Tauck trip. We have heard nothing but good things about both. We are both retired, upper 60's, from the Minneapolis Mn area. We will likely do a walking type tour and perhaps the Hofbrau Haus. It will be a fun trip

Regards
    Darrell and Marge Buell
  • Options
    Mimi (Donna)....if you don't mind, what's the walking tour/website you decided to take
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    See my post under the Alps & Dolomites forum about things to do in Munich- the Segway tour around town was great! But, as I mentioned in the other thread, there are other things to do and see.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DBMB wrote:
    Mimi (Donna)....if you don't mind, what's the walking tour/website you decided to take

We are going to use the self guided tour found at: www.frommers.com/destinations/munich/763939 Title: Walking Tour 1
    We purchased a map of Munich from Amazon and have marked the sites using The Charles as our starting point and it does include Hofbrauhaus which we shall be using as our midway stop for refreshments. Distance seems totally doable. Our arrival is at 9:55 AM direct from Boston so assuming we take off in time (Luftansa) we are hoping to be at the Charles by noon to begin our trek. You are welcomed to join us if you do not venture out before that. Meeting with others later in the afternoon for drinks and perhaps dinner - another opportunity to get together.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file