Options

Questions on "what to pack" list

Hi, I'm taking this trip in February. The list seems overwhelming:
Do you really need/use binoculars?
How many layers do you need in the Ngorongoro Crater? The list mentions a fleece jacket as well as an outer shell jacket. Do you need both? Did you use/need gloves and a hat?
Is the inflatable pillow for use when getting bumped around in the 4 wheel drive vehicles?
Do you need the lightweight jacket as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Yes binoculars definitely worth taking.
    Light jacket is sufficient from what I see the the minimum temps are at that time of year. We went in August
    Cannot see pillow on the packing list but roads are extremely bumpy, I remember there were roads strewn with rocks
    This is a fantastic trip. We have done the South Africa trip where you definitely need hat and gloves early mornings and will also be doing the Tanzania trip in July
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the weather in February. Like British, I also took this trip in August. I took binoculars but I never used them - didn't really need them because I had a powerful zoom on my camera that worked well. I also took an inflatable pillow (purchased on line at Micato Shop for $10) and was glad I did. As British said, the roads are extremely bumpy and I found the pillow very helpful. I did not need gloves, but I did wear at hat most of the time. You will love this trip - it is life changing. I just came back from South Africa in October and, that too, was an amazing trip.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Wildlife are often best viewed just after dawn and at dusk, and wind chill is a problem in open vehicles. I would definitely include a midweight fleece jacket and a windproof outer shell as two of the layers. Like blackmagic, I am usually too busy with my camera to use binoculars. If small animals (birds) are your cup of tea and you use binoculars at home, you should consider them. Nick
  • Options
    We went on this wonderful trip in October. Our experience might be quite different than the one you will experience in February. We did bring binoculars, and I used them at times. I had a superzoom camera that allowed me to view animals I couldn't see with my naked eye, but sometimes I just put the camera down and used the binoculars. Sometimes I lost what I was zooming in on, and had to zoom out to find the subject. So, yes, I would bring them, unless they are so huge they are a burden...ours were lightweight and pretty compact.
    About clothing...we took waterproof shell jackets and sweaters. I guess the sweaters replaced the fleece. We did have a couple of drizzly times, once in an afernoon at the Mt Kenya Safari Club and another on a game drive on the Masai Mara where we drove in and out of rain clouds. The balloon ride starts out a bit chilly, so we wore both then and at the Mt, Kenya BBQ dinner. I used a sweater a lot, especially for morning game drives.
    You definitely need a hat for shade, and make sure it has a strap to secure it. We encountered enough wind to blow it off your head! If you need a hat for warmth, a buff can be adjusted to be a beanie hat. We brought buffs and were so glad we did...great for neck warmers, masks for dust, and as hats...Gloves?? I always throw in a small pair of thin liner-type gloves. Used them at the BBQ dinner.
    As far as the inflatable pillow is concerned...for me? I would say a resounding, "No!" I am tall, and I figure the pillow would put me that much closer to the roof of the vehicle! I did bounce that high on some roads. There is no way around it...the roads are very bumpy. I really don't think a pillow would have helped. It is part of the experience, and we spent a lot of time just laughing about the "roads!" This is such a phenomenal trip, that was a minor inconvenience! The three best things I brought??? (1) My superzoom camera ( Nikon Coolpix p520), (2) the buff, and (3) a "Monster" travel to go outlet (recommended by a previous traveler on this site) that is basically a lightweight power strip with 4 outlets, necessitating only one hotel plug and adaptor!
  • Options
    Hi DCT...My wife and I took this same safari in late January / early February 2012. In fact, we will be back in the Serengeti and the Mara this January / February. We had neither rain nor cold temperatures. The weather even cooperated for our balloon ride and that is not always the case.

Everyone wore a hat...wide brims are recommended. Gloves were not needed. The fleece and coat situation has a lot to do with your constitution. I see you are from California; we are from Florida. I suspect your tolerance for chill is about the same as ours. My wife and I were both very happy we took a fleece and a light wind breaker....especially on the balloon ride. We arrived at the take off spot before dawn and took off at dawn. It was anything but hot.

Most days you will have temperatures ranging from the 60s at night to the low 80s in the afternoon. By and large, it is a comfortable time of year. You will arrive after the "short rains" in November / December and before the "long rains" beginning in April. At Ngorongoro and near Mt. Kenya it will be a little cooler due to the elevation. The trick is to dress using layers that you can add or peel depending on conditions.

This next safari will be our fourth. I would not go without my binoculars. I used them a great deal. They are particularly valuable on the plains (Ngorongoro, Serengeti and Maasai Mara) where the distances are great and the animals spread out.

I think the most valuable piece of equipment we took was our buffs. It's fantastic as a dust mask or as a barrier to buzzing insects. The insects were not bad but it doesn't take many bugs to really irritate me.

This is a great trip. You will have a wonderful time...Leo M
  • Options
    Joycesw and Leo M, What is a buff. That is a term I have never encountered.
  • Options
    Sorry Brenley...I should have elaborated. A buff is headwear made of a seamless tube of fabric that can be worn in a variety of ways. The Buff website says "Think ‘multitasking bandana". They also say...a buff is "designed to offer technical performance and protection from the elements during a wide range of outdoor activities and sports..." You can go to www.Buff.com or to Amazon and search for "Buff".

It's hard to visualize unless you have used one. When my wife introduced me to the subject, I thought it was a bunch of nonsense. Unbeknownst to me, she order one for me and presented it to me in the middle of the Serengeti. I used it once and was sold. Not only do I now use it in Africa, I take it with me on every fishing trip to keep the bugs off. It's a very handy thing when you are trying to take photos with tsetse flies landing on you.

It works!....Leo M

• Options
    Well, if you are a Survivor fan, buffs are a pretty important part of that show..." The tribe has spoken! Throw your buff in the fire on your way out!!!!" With that said, we common folk, seem to have different sorts of buffs (I would never think of wearing mine as a tube top, for instance.)! I'm pretty sure the look would not be too flattering. I am hoping, for the good of my self esteem, my buff is a lot smaller than theirs!
    I got my buff at REI, a sporting goods store very popular in California (can check them out online, too). I would suggest going to You Tube and putting "how to wear a buff" into the search window. You will then be able to see a variety of short videos about the many uses of a buff and how to twist and shape them into a myriad of uses, from masks to headbands, to beanies to bandanas, and many more!
    Like Leo, my use of a buff did not stop when my trip to Africa ended. Mine went into my golf bag where it serves as a neck scarf on chilly days, a headband on windy days, and a beanie on cold days! Love it!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thank you, Joyce!

I am now a proud owner of a tasteful, little woollen Buff number, which I think will be just perfect for my March expedition into the Southern Ocean and Macquarie Island. Now I just have to memorise the video so I can turn it into all manner of stylish and practical polar accessories! Without getting frostbite, or being thrown out of the zodiac … hopeful not simultaneously. Without your post to check YouTube, I never would have discovered what a Buff is, let alone the wonders and joys of personal ownership!

All set for further adventures, hot or cold, dusty or dry! Yippee!

Cheers,

Jan

PS: Thanks to Leo, too. I just need the girly, this goes with this, visual guide to really figure out this wondrous thing.;)
  • Options
    Glad to read you are a "Buff Convert", Jan!! You will love it! Just practice with it before your trip, and you will be fine!!
    Joyce
  • Options
    Thank you so much to all who replied. Your comments are really helpful!
    I too am now the owner of a buff, a wide brimmed hat, and a shell/rain jacket and a fleece to add to all the khaki.

A question about footwear. I read somewhere that people were recommending shoes that easily slipped on and off so they could stand on the cushions in the vehicles. Do people stand up a lot? Is that a good idea or can I get by with my lace up New Balance shoes? It seems like this is a trip that doesn't have a lot of hiking.

Also, did people go swimming?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I mainly used my "water shoes" from the Peru/Galapagos trip. They were lace-up Merrills (that look like sneakers), that are lightweight with pop out inner soles and good, slip-proof soles. You do seem to stand on the seats all the time on game drives, and, out of respect for the drivers and their vehicles, it is polite to remove your dusty, dirty shoes prior to standing on the seats. I kept mine unlaced when we were on a game drive and could kick them off easily. Some did not bother to remove them. Bad form, in my opinion. I would not suggest bringing your white socks...go with gray or other non-white colors.
    We swam in a number of places...the Four Seasons at the Serengeti has a pool you do not want to miss...Amboseli has a great pool as does the Mt Kenya Safari Club and the Fairmont Masai Mara Tent Camp. Of course, our trip was in October, and yours might have different weather.

• Options
    Hi, when I did the the Kenya and Tanzania tour there was absolutely no way anyone kept their shoes on while standing on seats, it was a rule we were told about before we started the trip. We changed vehicles and groups during the tour so everyone got a chance to be with different local guides who had different knowledge to share. I cannot see how the seats would not get dirty after a few times. If it was my truck, I would not be happy plus with limited access to clean clothing I would not want to be walking around with a grubby backside if anyone on the tour did not do this. I saw the tip about wearing easy slip on slip off shoes on the travel forum before I went on my tour and heeded the advice and it was actually one of the. Best tips I have come across on this forum. I took the Lands End suede slip ons that are very reasonably priced and I. Now also own a similar Merrill pair. I wear them on most of my Tauck trips. If you buy any be sure to note that you are not picking a heavy pair. My Merrill pair are light for packing. My husband wears his to travel in all the time. You do stand up a lot on these safaris,if you do not then everyone else on your vehicle will be. I have mentioned before that on South Africa safaris it is the exact opposite, you are not allowed to stand up or move quickly while on the vehicles. These shoes wash really well too when you get home and they will need it.
  • Options
    Hi, my husband and I are on the Feb 15 Tanzania/Kenya Safari . We are in the process of getting all our stuff together and cannot decide if we each should take a backpack. Needless to say, we are very excited! How big should the tote or backpack be. I know that space is limited, but don't know whether you can just put extra clothing on the seat or should it be stuffed it in your pack. We have a dark blue backpack. Can that be taken. I know we are advised not to wear certain colors and wonder if that would include the backpack. We are coming from New Jersey. Will be flying out on the 12th to have a extra day or so in Arusha. If anyone is leaving from Newark on the 12th, we would love to hear from you. Pat
  • Options
    Hi, we often take a very lightweight collapsible backpack with us that I purchased from Magellans years ago, ( it was My first purchase from them and I was disappointed in the quality for the price, but it turns out to be very useful for squashing into our suitcase, weighs nothing and takes no room) I don't think the blue color of your backpack will be a problem, as it will be on the floor, so not visible to the animals and you may not see any tsetse flies on your trip,I remember when we were in the Tanzania area the locals were having a lot of success with hanging big sheets of blue fabric in the trees. Which were also impregnated with insecticide. We never saw tsetse but I read that others have found them a problem and it may depend on the time of year, my husband studied this kind of bug but he's not here to ask when they are at their worst, I'm guessing during migration, anyway don't worry about a blue bag. As temperature rarely fluctuate in this part of Africa near the equator you will not be taking clothing layers on and off the same way as you might in South Africa at different times of year. So on each of your usually two game drives, early morning and late afternoons, it's not going to be too hot or cold. Your camera can be round your neck all the time, sunglasses too and. Even your hat as you want to have the type with a chin string. Anything else can be In your pockets. I guess you will have a water bottle, I personally am a little cautious not to drink too much on a drive because I don't want to need the loo on the drive. Think the drives are about two hours long.
    You will absolutely love the trip and want to go back. We are going to Tanzania later in the year.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the information. I think we might be all set with what we have gotten. I appreciate the advice. We haven't even left yet and I'm already thinking about our next trip to Africa, after reading all the wonderful remarks about how special Africa is.. Pat

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file