Options

sea sickness?

For anyone who has taken this tour, is seasickness a problem while on the boat? I get motion sickness very easily and I avoid ocean cruising.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Millerjcat

My wife also has a seasickness tendency and travels with all of the usual medicines. She did not have any problems with the nice ship taking us around the Galapagos islands. Very pleasant.

Frank
  • Options
    What your best tip to take or do while on this trip? Planning it next year....what about things you would do different?
  • Options
    jo jo wrote:
    What your best tip to take or do while on this trip? Planning it next year....what about things you would do different?
    Hi Jo Jo,

Pack double the number of memory sticks for your camera than you first thought you needed! Pack spare batteries for your camera. Bring two cameras … your regular one plus a small, snappy one. Maybe your phone would do that job.

You will be walking on some uneven ground, sometimes quite stony. Although there were loners on board the Isabella, a walking pole would be a great idea. I found mine SO helpful. I would also suggest a wrap-around style of sunglasses. Keeps the dust out of your eyes. And make sure those glasses have quality, polarising lenses. I took a cheap pair of wrap-arounds and when it got dark on a late walk back to the boat, I could hardly see a thing. (There's no dusk to speak of because you are so close to, sometimes on, the equator.) I wear hard contacts and wasn't game to remove the glasses because of the wind. The cheap lenses just made everything darker! Very awkward!

Prepare for a stunning trip. It really is a life changer.

Cheers,

Jan

• Options
    I would be sure to bring at least two sun- type shirts...long sleeve but can roll up, collared, button down lightweight with zipper pockets...think NorthnFace, REI, Columbia...the sun is very intense, and these give an extra layer of protection while not being too warm. You wear then over a tee shirt or tank top,and can use the zippered pockets to carry small items. I only brought one, and practically wore it on every single outing. The collar has an extra piece that gives the back of your next some extra protection as well. They dry quickly and don't wrinkle, not that that matters on this trip. I even wore mine snorkeling when I didn't wear the wetsuit. Also, I don't know if they have changed the water bottle situation since we took this trip. We were given plastic water bottles and then refilled them from the water stations whenever we needed water.. I would bring my own container (lightweight). The plastic bottles get pretty grungy after a while. This is a wonderful trip!
  • Options
    Wow, how much memory did you take? Just came back from tauck safari and took 5000 pics. Used 40 G......jo ann

and took a point and shoot!
  • Options
    I can't remember, Jo Ann. I just went and checked my iPhoto album and I have 1140 shots there. Everything you see is stunning. I was going to say "unique" … and I guess, literally, that could well be true. And because you are on a small, though luxurious, small boat, you won't have any opportunity to stock up along the way! I would do this trip again in a heartbeat, but I have a few other locations to cover first … like more of the South American continent.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.