Luggage for Peru/Gaglagos

Just trying to clarify luggage restrictions...would like to know from someone who has gone...
Am I correct in the fact we can take 44 pound bag to check and a carry on for the plane. How big should that carry on be...more like a tote bag or small to medium back pack? Is there a weight restriction on that carry on? I think I read 15 pounds? I am assuming it should not be a wheeled carry on but some in our party really want to bring that...so I'm asking!

Can I take a purse on the plane along with the carry on?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• We took our regular suitcases, and kept the weight down to 44 lbs. Not too much of a challenge. The carry on was a roll a board that we managed to keep down to 15 lbs. And yes, my wife and I both carried individual tote bags in addition to the carry on. She had her purse, and I had my small bag with personal items (camera) in it. There is some need for dressier clothing in Lima, but after that, it is smart casual, as they say. Aboard ship in the Galapagos, it is definitely casual only. Hope that this helps in time.
  • We are doing the Galagapos and Peru and Bolivia trips back to back in September, so our packing will be very challenging. I was just wondering how dressy the night in Lima is -- cocktail dress for women or just dress slacks and a nice top?
  • Hello Marlie,

We just returned from this trip in May. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

With the exception of one blouse, ALL my clothes were "casual." For the dinner in Lima I wore a pair of Capri pants, my dressier blouse and dressier flip flops. All was well. Having said that, there were definitely some people in "dress" clothes. But, there were also people wearing everything in between...

FYI: There is an opportunity to have laundry done while at The Hotel Monasterio, in Cusco... :o))

Enjoy your holiday!

HML
  • This thread seems to be the right place to ask these questions:

1. Does Tauck still provide (and require use of) a duffle bag on this trip? As recently as 2013, the description of this trip stated that a duffle bag was provided which needed to be used for the train trip to Machu Picchu due to limited luggage space.

2. Again, as recently as a few years ago it stated that luggage could be left at the Hilton in Guayaquil on the outbound to the Galapagos and picked up on the overnight stay on return to Guayaquil. This would be helpful since what we'll want for the Galapagos bears little resemblance to what we'll want in Peru (in Sept/Oct).

3. What was stated as the baggage limits for the flight from Lima to Guayaquil? (We have no limit to speak of from home-Lima and Guayaquil-home).

No mention of either on the current (or 2017) trip...but then, the link to "Before Your Go" leads to a blank page.

So, can someone who has been this trip within the last year clarify these items?
  • I don't have an answer- we aren't scheduled until March 2017, but you are right the "Before You Go" is not working for 2016 or 2017. I suspect IT is doing work on the website this weekend- navigating back from attempt to view 'Before You Go" was a little wonky, at times too.

Come on recent travelers, what is the story about duffels and baggage?
  • Spoke with Tauck, and the local airlines, and the domestic flights are one 44 lb suitcase and one 16 lb carry on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file