Government Shutdown of National Parks

To the Moderators:
For those of us scheduled on upcoming trips, what is planned for these trips if the shutdown occurs and the National Parks are closed?

Comments

• Are you referring to "America's Best Idea", Andrea?

Why would you shut them down?

• Jan,
    Democracy at its finest! Threats of funding cutoffs on October 1 by Washington lawmakers could close the parks. You are correct in restating that our national parks are America's best idea, as coined by Ken Burns, but somehow they are still under the control of the budget folks in Washington.
  • How sad to be living in a Greek Tragedy, with this being the ekkyklêma. Of course, what is out of sight isn't always out of mind, except for the people who are out of their mind.
  • Actually, with sequestration and possible shutdown, the Parks WILL be closed. This affects all nonessential government workers. In fact, they decreased hours at the Utah parks this summer due to Obama's great sequestration idea! Good luck; let's hope for the best outcome here. Do you hear that DC?
  • As an Australian I'm curious about this subject. Except for on the TV Drama "The West Wing" when was the last time your Parks had to close entirely because the money ran out?
  • edited September 2013
    Due to budgetary cuts and government "shutdown", the National Parks were closed for 5 days in 1995, and for 21 days in 1996.
  • edited September 2013
    There was a shutdown in 1995 that closed the parks for six days and one in 1996 that closed the parks for 20 days. The shutdown also closed the famed Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C.
  • It's a shame that every federal worker is subject to the whims of the government. I spoke to some of the park rangers in June when I took the Spirit of the Desert tour. They are trying their best with limited funding and no support whatsoever from Congress. Hours and positions were cut during sequestration - and that at the height of summer! Who knows what'll happen now with an across the board shutdown? I know for myself as a federal worker, the situation is not good at all. Pay has been frozen at 2010 levels. Thanks, DC!
This discussion has been closed.