What to do for extra days in Budapest and Prague

Hello!
We plan to arrive a day early to Budapest and stay a day extra in Prague. Does anyone have recommendations on what to see beyond what's included in the Imperial Europe tour (which is from Sept 11 to Sept 20)?

Thank you!
Donna

Comments

• Be sure to visit St. Stephen's Basilica. It's magnificent. Also visit the Great Synagogue, also know as Dohany Synagogue. It's Europe's largest and is beautiful. Behind it is the Holocaust Memorial, a sculpture of a weeping willow dedicated to the 600,000 Jews who were killed by the Nazis during WWII. It was partly funded by the Hungarian-American actor Tony Curtis.
  • edited September 2013
    I agree about going to St. Stephen's Basilica. If you're physically able, walk up the steps (over 350, but there's also an elevator!) to the dome. There's an observation deck there with a fantastic 360° view.
  • Another suggestion for you in Budapest is to visit a store specializing in Hungarian made Herend porcelain. I think there is a state sponsored, or owned, store there. Your TD can tell you where it is. Although very expensive, it's beautiful, so you should see it even if you don't buy it. Also, look at the itinerary for Tauck's Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna, and Prague tour. It should give you additional suggestions for things to do on your extra days.
  • THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your great suggestions! We really appreciate it!

The St. Stephen's Basilica, the Great Synagogue, and the Herend porcelain all sound very interesting! We plan to be there!

Thanks again,
    Donna

• We are arriving in Budapest 1 day early. Has anyone taken an evening cruise on the Danube? If so, do you have any recommendations?
  • Veil1...are you on this week's tour (Sept22)? My husband and I are on this tour and are arriving a day early as well. We were thinking of doing an evening cruise as well. Maybe we will see you Saturday!
  • edited September 2013
    Ckap4707, my husband and I are on the October 2 tour. We can't wait!
  • In Prague I recommend a concert. We got tickets at the hotel for the Lichtenstein Castle and it was really good. Was a good choice some of it was funny as well as good music.

Budapest the Synagogue and the Parliament Building. I, also, did the art museum across the Danube. All are worth checking out.

The Parliament Building look into getting tickets ahead of time for the English tour. We wasted several hours waiting in line for the tickets then for the tour to start.
  • Something else . . .
    A number of years ago, we were in Budapest and decided to go to the opera (we had wanted to go in Vienna, but tickets were not available). We walked in and bought great (inexpensive) tickets for the opera that evening. It was interesting seeing an Italian opera, performed in French, with Hungarian surtitles above the stage!
  • vell1 wrote:
    We are arriving in Budapest 1 day early. Has anyone taken an evening cruise on the Danube? If so, do you have any recommendations?
    The Warsaw, Budapest, Vienna & Prague tour does a dinner cruise on the Danube (I just returned). It was awesome! I can definitely recommend it. The city looks beautiful lit up at night.
This discussion has been closed.