Options

Is it required to take the tours, or is independent exploration ok?

My husband and I are considering taking a Blue Danube riverboat cruise in 2014. My husband is a rather independent traveller, and he isn't sure if he will like being part of tour groups. If we wanted to strike out on our own in port instead of joining a group, is that permitted? It's understood that it is our responsibility to be back at the boat in time for departure and so on. And who knows - he might like the tours. But we would be more comfortable about booking a cruise if independent "wandering about" was an option.

Comments

• Options
    We did the Black Sea to Prague cruise on the Danube. There were 3 tour directors in addition to the local guides used so a lot of information is imparted on the shore excursions. But you aren't required to go ashore and I don't see why you couldn't do your own thing - but part of what you pay for is this organization and expertise.
  • Options
    Even if you go along for the bus tour there are some places you will be told were to meet at the end and can go off on your own. Some of the tours you would want to join for the information you get. You have the boxes to hear the tour without having to stick close to the one giving the tour at some of the places. For instance when we went to Strasburg we did a walking tour and at the end was on our own with a meeting place to get the bus back. There you can choose to not follow the tour and meet to get the bus back to the boat. In Vienna we did the summer palace at the beginning one day and did a short bus tour of Vienna (if I remember) then was on our own to catch the bus back to boat with several different pick up times or take public transport back to the boat.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    We took the Black Sea to Prague tour (now the Blue Danube, etc.). We, too, were worried about too much organized touring with not enough time on shore to explore on our own, even though we have been on 11 Tauck tours. We are not patient cruisers and like to wander about to experience local areas. We found that going on the scheduled tours and then departing from the tour when possible, while the majority returned to the boat for a meal, worked very well for us. We usually would be let off in the center of the city and then found our own way back to the boat after we had explored and/or eaten a meal out. As long as you are there when the ship departs, you can do your own thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You're certainly able to go off on your own if you choose to, but I would highly recommend taking advantage of the guided tours that Tauck arranges. Tauck uses very knowledgeable local guides at each location (we did the Danube cruise in Sept 2013), and they were all excellent (plus it's already paid for as part of your package)! In addition, we found the short bus rides to each location to be time well spent, as each Tauck tour director was very knowledgeable and was able to provide excellent background information about each destination. In addition, Tauck arranges for "special events" that you won't have access to if you go out on your own, for example, a private performance by opera singers at the Budapest Opera House. This was an exclusive to just our Tauck group, even though there were other groups in the Opera House at the same time. Just one example of the " exclusive specials" Tauck offers that other tours don't, and you certainly won't be able to enjoy going off on your own. Tauck also leaves a fair amount of "free time" at each location. so each traveler can venture off on their own. It was a good balance!
This discussion has been closed.