Munich - Sites covered by the tour

We will arrive in Munich a day before the tour starts, and would like to plan our time so that we don't duplicate attractions included in the tour that first morning.

Please tell us which Munich attractions will be included in the tour.

Bob

Comments

• Sandcastle wrote:
    We will arrive in Munich a day before the tour starts, and would like to plan our time so that we don't duplicate attractions included in the tour that first morning.

Please tell us which Munich attractions will be included in the tour.

Bob

This is an excellent question. I would also add which restaurant(s)will be utilized. I am assuming that the welcome dinner and breakfast will be at the hotel. Can someone from Tauck please respond to Bob's question? We are on the September 5th trip but will be arriving two days before.
  • I would also like to know what Munich sites are covered.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
  • Ditto.

The Tauck description says, "Following an introductory tour of Munich, you’ll have time to explore the heart of this cozy city on your own. At the pedestrian crossroads of Marienplatz (Mary’s Square), you may catch the glockenspiel show and find many of Munich’s must-see sights within walking distance. Early afternoon marks time to depart for Austria."

To me that sounds like a relatively quick drive-by by bus followed by whatever you want to go back and see on your own on foot. Breakfast at the hotel, lunch on our own, and an "early afternoon" departure for Austria, doesn't leave a lot of time to see much of anything.

A little searching on Trip Advisor didn't reveal much of interest if you only have a few hours in the morning. The Bavarian National Museum (Bayerisches Nationalmuseum) is a half dozen blocks from the hotel but got mixed reviews- it is very large and the exhibits interesting, but all the descriptions were in German only (and English audio devices may not be available).

If you are into high-end shopping/window shopping, Maximillian Strasse, which runs by our hotel, the Vier Jahreszeiten (Kempinski) one of Munich's foremost five-star hotels, is lined with galleries, designer shops, luxury boutiques, jewellery stores like Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, Louis Vuitton, Dior, Chanel, Escada, Hugo Boss, Gucci, Gianfranco Ferré, Bulgari and many other famous shops.

We are arriving a day early so one option we are seriously considering is to try something different and take a guided Segway tour. There are a couple of companies providing Segway tours, but "City Segway Tours" got great reviews on Trip Advisor. There may be duplication of places visited by Tauck but the addition of traveling by Segway might make a big difference.

I sure wish previous Tauck travelers would re-visit the forums and answer some of these questions. The reviews don't include this kind of useful detail.
  • Hi, when we were in Munich, we had a lunch at Hofbräuhaus am Platzl is a beer hall in the city center of Munich. It was great fun! Great Beer, brats and pretzels with Oompah(sp) band playing.
  • We took the tour this past summer. The Munich introductory tour is a walking tour around the area near the hotel and the Marianplatz. Lots of history of the government buildings, churches, residences of the royality and rulers of the times. The group was split into to groups, each with a knowledgeable local guide. It was close to two hours long and, frankly, after while, we just weren't paying much attention anymore...too long and too much information. We only went into the churches and you can do that on your own if you are so inclinded. Marianplatz and the Hofbräuhaus am Platzl are more interesting and fun...eat, drink, be merry, people watching, street performers, musicians, chalk artists are all part of the scene. Hofbräuhaus am Platzl is the oldest beer hall in the city center of Munich. We were lucky enough to be there for Oktoberfest a few years ago and we had a blast!
  • wundernkc- Thanks! Kinda what I expected. I think we will try the Segway tour on the day before the Tauck tour starts
  • wundernkc wrote:
    We took the tour this past summer. The Munich introductory tour is a walking tour around the area near the hotel and the Marianplatz. Lots of history of the government buildings, churches, residences of the royality and rulers of the times. The group was split into to groups, each with a knowledgeable local guide. It was close to two hours long and, frankly, after while, we just weren't paying much attention anymore...too long and too much information. We only went into the churches and you can do that on your own if you are so inclinded. Marianplatz and the Hofbräuhaus am Platzl are more interesting and fun...eat, drink, be merry, people watching, street performers, musicians, chalk artists are all part of the scene. Hofbräuhaus am Platzl is the oldest beer hall in the city center of Munich. We were lucky enough to be there for Oktoberfest a few years ago and we had a blast!

Thanks, good info. Will adjust our plan accordingly. Do you have any suggestions for the second morning in Salzburg or anywhere else there might be a limited amount of free time on the tour (it looks limited).
This discussion has been closed.