Options

Currency and credit cards

Hi,
I didn't see this topic on the existing forum, so I apologize if I'm not asking for the information in the correct place.

I am travelling on the Eastbound Blue Danube and wanted to ask about the use of credit cards and the need to convert to local currency before departing the US.

I have a credit card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, so plan to use it where accepted.

I also plan to convert some Euro before I leave the US.

For the Czech Republic (Czech Koruna) and Hungary (Hungarian Forint), do you recommend I also convert some dollars before I depart?
(I don't want to spend my days searching for ATMs!)

If anyone wants to share thoughts on the amount of cash generally needed (I realize everyone's spending habits differ!), I'd also appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,
Debbie

Comments

• Options
    I used ATM throughout my Blue Danube trip and had no trouble finding them close at hand. This year I am going to Italy and did go to AAA to get some Euro's. You don't want to carry too much converted money around with you on the trip, but while on the ship you will have a safe. As well as in the rooms at the 2 hotels. I had no problem with use of credit cards, but you do have to be careful. Nice restaurants will bring the machine to you. You do not want to let your credit card out of your sight. Best to use cash were you can.
This discussion has been closed.