2014 riverboat cruise Budapest to Amsterdam

My husband and I are going on our first riverboad cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam in May of 2014!
we would like to extend our trip by staying a few days in Amsterdam - has anyone else done this and what
is there to see?

Comments

• Just back from this trip. We went a few days early and used Viator (online) to book some activities. One of the most interesting was a walking tour of the Red Light District at night. Earlier that day we did a bus tour that ended at the Ann Frank House. The guide took us in and then it was up to us to find our way back to the hotel. Getting around is really easy and we walked back in about 20 minutes. Viator will give you many options to choose from. If the Ann Frank House is of interest do not expect to get in without an advance reservation or the easy entry that these tours include. The line outside was about 3 blocks long--we walked right up to the door and went in. Some people had done the dinner cruise and said it was very nice. We chose to do a hop on/off canal ride. It was really noisy and after a while one canal looks just like another. I would suggest if you not do the dinner cruise to take one of the guided canal rides that lasts about 1 1/2 hours. Have fun
  • Laney 7,

You'll love your extra time in Amsterdam. It's a wonderful city! In addition to the Ann Frank House, which is a definite must, eat dinner one night at an Indonesian Rice Table. Your concierge can recommend a good one and make reservations for you. Afterwards, take a canal cruise at night. Without dinner, it's not expensive, and Amsterdam is beautiful at night, so the city and the canal look quite different from their daytime appearance. The Van Gogh Museum is another definite must see. Walk through the Red Light district during the day as well as at night. The women ply their wares during the day as well, although there probably aren't as many doing so. It's a very, very walkable city, so take advantage of that and walk, walk, walk! You can also buy beautiful Delft at shops that sell quality Delft, not just souvenir Delft. Be sure you see the railroad station where literally hundreds, or possibly thousands, of bicycles are parked. Viatour also takes guided tours outside of the city. We took one to the Hague and Madouradam. It was very interesting. We were there for 3 extra days between tours and loved every minute of our time spent there.
  • We are on the May25 BUD-AMS cruise, and really looking forward to it. This will be our first trip with Tauck, and based on what I've read, my expectations are very high!
    DH and I have spent some time in Amsterdam, and it is a wonderful city. As the other writer said, it is easily walkable, and so many things to do and see, depending on your interests. We are debating spending an extra night there in order to get a better flight home, as I don't know what the earliest flight departure time is recommended.
    Hopefully some other people will post here as well. Looking forward to meeting some people!

• kidfixer wrote:
    We are on the May25 BUD-AMS cruise, and really looking forward to it. This will be our first trip with Tauck, and based on what I've read, my expectations are very high!
    DH and I have spent some time in Amsterdam, and it is a wonderful city. As the other writer said, it is easily walkable, and so many things to do and see, depending on your interests. We are debating spending an extra night there in order to get a better flight home, as I don't know what the earliest flight departure time is recommended.
    Hopefully some other people will post here as well. Looking forward to meeting some people!

Even though I did not start in Budapest, I was on the Brussels to Amsterdam river cruise this past year. The riverboat was already docked in Amsterdam so the departure time was any time on the last day, however you had to be off the boat by 9:00 am. If you check under Before You Go, it tells you that flights can be scheduled for any time after 4:00 am. The Before You Go section with the itinerary gives quite a bit of information. I have done 21 tours with Tauck and always check that section for information on everything from what to pack to weather.
  • We are also on the 25 May 2014 Budapest to Amsterdam River Riverboat Cruise! This will be our first Tauck Tour; however, we are traveling with friends who are frequent Tauck Travelers. We are very interested in the experiences of travelers who have already taken the tour (e.g. highlights; what to wear; what to expect) and from those who are scheduled for the cruise. EXCITED!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file