Options

Just returned on 7/26

I just returned from this trip and am happy to answer any questions you may have. This is the trip of a lifetime!

Comments

• Options
    Did you need any dressy clothes for dinners?
  • Options
    How was the food? Will we recognize offerings or are we going to eat strange things?
  • Options
    Is the duffel bag they give you big enough for the two night stay?
  • Options
    We were there last August. Dress is casual at all times. The food was much like you get at home, no strange items to any extent. The duffles were more than adequate for a two day stay. It really is a fantastic trip, that you will never forget. The only place you might want to dress up a bit is at the Mount Kenya Safari Club but don't go overboard.
    Gary
  • Options
    Nanaangie wrote:
    Did you need any dressy clothes for dinners?

None whatsoever. This trip is very casual and most people came to dinner in the clothes they wore that day. Or, if you prefer, you can shower before dinner, wear clean clothes and then wear those clothes the next day. You don't need anything dressy!
  • Options
    Nanaangie wrote:
    How was the food? Will we recognize offerings or are we going to eat strange things?

The food is okay. Mostly it is buffet and foods we are used to eating. There are some Indian dishes (curries, etc.) but there is always salad and the basics. I took individual servings of peanut butter with me and I only used one. I left the rest with our tour guide at the end, and I'm a picky eater. Have fun and enjoy!
  • Options
    Nanaangie wrote:
    Is the duffel bag they give you big enough for the two night stay?
    I generally overpack and the duffel was more than adequate! Remember, this is a very casual trip and all the Serena Hotels do laundry at a very reasonable price. Do not worry about the size of the duffel. Enjoy! This is a trip of a lifetime!
  • Options
    My husband and I are on the August 31 trip and counting the days. I heard that we should only use bottled water, even in the hotels. If that is the case, how safe is the salad and other items just washed in water?
    Anyone out there on this trip I would love to hear from you!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hello Nanangie & Munk...

We took this Tauck adventure in January / February 2012 and had a wonderful time. We have returned to Africa three times since that trip and have a fourth safari scheduled for 2014.

When we returned we prepared a blog and posted it online to help others prepare for Africa. There is a lot of information there along with a check list on what to take that you may find valuable. The blog has been read by over 11,000 people so far.

The link to the blog is:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/leomcyr/1/1326885220/pod.html

If you still have questions, you may contact us at leo@leomcyr.com

Cheers...Leo M
  • Options
    Munk wrote:
    My husband and I are on the August 31 trip and counting the days. I heard that we should only use bottled water, even in the hotels. If that is the case, how safe is the salad and other items just washed in water?
    Anyone out there on this trip I would love to hear from you!

Hi Munk,
    Just returned from this trip. Bottled water is plentiful. It will be in your room, in the Land Rovers and on the table in the restaurants. Salad, according to our guide Eric, is safe if prepared at the hotels. Best to check with him. I ate salad several times and had no adverse effects at all. Enjoy your trip. It is awesome!!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hi. I'm going on the 9/26 trip and was wondering how bumpy the roads are. I've got a few back problems and the roads were not bad at Kruger when I went to South Africa. Thanks.

Also, did anyone take malaria medicine for this trip?
  • Options
    Kathyt wrote:
    Hi. I'm going on the 9/26 trip and was wondering how bumpy the roads are. I've got a few back problems and the roads were not bad at Kruger when I went to South Africa. Thanks.

Also, did anyone take malaria medicine for this trip?

Hi Kathy,
    I'll start with the easy one first. Yes, I took the malaria pills as had most of the people on my trip. Best to check with your doctor, or a local travel medicine clinic.

The roads.... ah, the roads. They are like nothing you've ever encountered, because they are not really roads. In Tanzania there were paths, ruts and something like dirt roads, but they are strewn with rocks, small boulders and are very uneven. The drivers say that if they go fast it's not as bad. I don't know. IMO it was pretty bad. You really get shaken and bounced around. Check with your doctor if you have concerns. In Kenya, it is essentially a narrow path or off roads almost all the time. There too, it's pretty bumpy. All this being said, it's the only way to see all the glorious animals. This trip is fabulous for animal sightings.... We saw The Big 5 in the first few days. Awesome!
  • Options
    suellyn wrote:
    Hi Kathy,
    I'll start with the easy one first. Yes, I took the malaria pills as had most of the people on my trip. Best to check with your doctor, or a local travel medicine clinic.

The roads.... ah, the roads. They are like nothing you've ever encountered, because they are not really roads. In Tanzania there were paths, ruts and something like dirt roads, but they are strewn with rocks, small boulders and are very uneven. The drivers say that if they go fast it's not as bad. I don't know. IMO it was pretty bad. You really get shaken and bounced around. Check with your doctor if you have concerns. In Kenya, it is essentially a narrow path or off roads almost all the time. There too, it's pretty bumpy. All this being said, it's the only way to see all the glorious animals. This trip is fabulous for animal sightings.... We saw The Big 5 in the first few days. Awesome!

Thanks much Suellyn. I was concerned since the guest documents said women should wear something. I really need to think about this because my arthritis is severe so painful every day and now with osteoporosis, I don't want to have a problem and find I'm in bed for a few days.
  • Options
    We are considering this trip for late 2014 or early 2015. It really does sound like a wonderful experience. My question is that there are no pre or post trip extensions offered by Tauck. For those of you who have been on this voyage, do you have any recommendations on which nearby locations might be feasible for extending our trip? I am primarily looking for options that would add to or compliment the Tauck experience.
  • Options
    DID YOU NEED THE WATERPROOF SANDALS RECOMMENDED IN THE PACKING LIST?
  • Options
    Gayll wrote:
    DID YOU NEED THE WATERPROOF SANDALS RECOMMENDED IN THE PACKING LIST?

Hello Gayll,

Waterproof sandals are not necessary, they are just suggested if you plan on swimming at the pools at the hotels.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    nexttrip wrote:
    We are considering this trip for late 2014 or early 2015. It really does sound like a wonderful experience. My question is that there are no pre or post trip extensions offered by Tauck. For those of you who have been on this voyage, do you have any recommendations on which nearby locations might be feasible for extending our trip? I am primarily looking for options that would add to or compliment the Tauck experience.

Several of the people on my trip went to South Africa at the conclusion of our trip. Also, someone went to South Africa and took the Tauck South Africa trip. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.