do we need a phone w/international access

I'm traveling on the upcoming Aegean Sea trip. My cell phone carrier said I do not have international access. I'm trying to decide if I need to make arrangements for access. I don't anticipate needing a phone for anything. Recommendations?

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Hi Iowan,

A resounding yes! Definitely get a phone with international access! We arranged a rental through our Verizon provider and were thankful we did. In fact, this was the first year we did so. When we arrived in Frankfurt to make our connection onto Milan for our Bellisima Italy tour, we were advised virtually the moment we landed, that Lufthansa was on cabin crew strike! It was a nightmare, spending 12 hours at the airport, attempting to re-book flights 5 times, with no success, due to every Lufthansa flight being cancelled and no other carrier connections available. We finally made it out of Frankfurt and onto Milan the following morning, having to overnight in Frankfurt. Thankfully, we had an international phone to call family as well as Tauck, giving them updates.

Suffice it to say, we will never, ever travel without the use of either an international phone or at the very least an international calling card.

Please do look into it. You never know what you will have to deal with anywhere and having that phone was a lifesaver for us to keep in contact.
  • This was valuable information "Nyfeds". We have an international calling plan with Mexico, but now I realize that we better check on a plan with Italy.
    Thank you so much!
  • edited July 2013
    You're very welcome. A wise decision to look into adding the countries you'll be visiting onto your current plan or renting or purchasing an international phone and SIM card. We found the phone rental and rates pretty reasonable through Verizon. I would imagine getting this through most providers would be easily accomplished.

All it takes is one really bad travel experience to make you value having that international phone at hand! We will never travel without one!
  • What a shame we can't rent these in Australia for travel to the States. At least, I don't think we can. My research only turned up US suppliers, which you can only access, presumably, once you actually get there! I suspect I know the reason why. Our suppliers make an obscene amount of money (currently under government review) on their global roaming business. Their global roaming games resemble the geographic perambulations US airline take with their so-called direct flights! Our telecoms would "roam" a call from San Francisco to Sacramento via Melbourne, Iceland, Boston, then the Cape of Good Hope if they could. Actually, I think they do! The resulting bills are mind blowing ... hence the inquiry. That's why I don't take an Australian phone with me to the States. I wish I could rent one, though. I would be lost without my Apple Air, and at least I can stay solvent!
  • We've never found it necessary to purchase an international plan when traveling. We do have International Roaming available , and we have found that for the few calls we may make, the difference between what the plan costs with the per call surcharge added on, and the cost of the call without the plan, that it is not worth it.

We do have a Family Unlimited Texting plan. This we use extensively. Incoming texts are free worldwide, and outgoing texts are just 50 cents.

On our recent trip to Canada, I did have three phone calls charged to me. Two were regarding a misunderstanding about my pickup from the airport (Tauck reimbursed me for those!), and one was a call from a restaurant confirming a reservation I had.

International roaming calls can usually be kept to a minimum.
  • edited July 2013
    We do not have Smartphones; we have "dumb" ones, meaning no international capabilities. We don't text and such. Just basic cell phones with basic calling plan through Verizon. Therefore, renting or purchasing an international phone is necessary for us. We used Verizon's international calling plan and the charges were not outrageous. If one's phone has international capabilities, of course, that is the easiest way to go, adding on - if necessary - the countries you will be visiting on your trip if not all ready included in your plan.

A friend had mentioned that one could purchase international phones and SIM cards on Amazon. I haven't looked into that.

We also use an older iPad so we do have email available. However, that phone was invaluable to us last year, as was the iPad.

Jan, I do hope there are dramatic changes underway in regard to the suppliers and outrageous charges in Australia!
  • Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm looking into international phone options today. Appreciate this forum where we can exchange recommendations.
  • nyfeds wrote:

Jan, I do hope there are dramatic changes underway in regard to the suppliers and outrageous charges in Australia!

There have been so many complaints to the Telecommunications Ombudsman in recent years that it's clear that the 2 major telecoms can't get away with their games any longer. We call the situation Phone Bill Shock and there are numerous consumer tip sheets to help beat the avaricious telcoms at their own game. You know how Aussies like a challenge! But I guess it's hard to explain that to people with phone addiction!

I am certainly not a Luddite, but I don't have a mobile phone. I've had them in the past but I just hate the intrusion. Now I call myself a conscientious objector. Although, I am having terrible trouble arranging Tauck pickup at Logan International without a mobile phone. Don't ask! I know, Logan is hard, but Terminal E for international arrivals is quite straightforward. Sometimes things that are very easy are just made so much harder when we are just too blind to see.

Hey ho.
  • edited July 2013
    Jan, Hopefully the days of Australian telecom pilfering and plundering are soon over and Australians keep the pressure at full throttle!

After initially refusing to get cell phones, we decided on a "happy medium" getting a "dumb phone" and a bare basics plan for emergency purposes when out and about. We hardly ever use our phones. Texting - forget about it! Yes, I so agree - sometimes the easiest things are now made more complicated! Such is life living in a techno world!

We will forever make an exception when it comes to having an international phone at our disposal when traveling. Last year was the very first year we rented one and believe me, we so appreciated having that phone in light of some chaotic events at Frankfurt airport due to strikes! And, guess where our connection is for this years trip - Frankfurt!! Hoping we can change outbound air itinerary, eventually. We've book award tickets and took what was available.
  • nyfeds wrote:
    Jan, Hopefully the days of Australian telecom pilfering and plundering are soon over and Australians keep the pressure at full throttle.

I think the operative word is ... small market. Sorry, that's two words! Lack of competition is the reason Telstra, principally, and Optus can get away with the games a duopoly can play. But they have been so greedy the authorities are cracking down. On the positive side, we are lucky to have pretty good corporate and telecommunication regulation so we are set to put some brakes on their greedy little red wagons!

Personally, it's become a bit of a game to me to see how long I can stand against the tide of mobile phone ownership, this time. It certainly doesn't sit easily with me to discover that someone thinks it's a good idea to tell a foreigner, me, that ownership of a US local call enabled phone is a pre-resquite for a tour starting in Boston, Logan, though.

I'm praying for a sympathetic and helpful stranger to make a call for me. There's always smoke signals. Or what about those signal flags they used to use on naval vessels?

Cheers,

Jan
  • No doubt, the "kindness of strangers" will enable you to make that call! :)

Denise
  • Absolutely, Denise. That's really what makes travelling worthwhile.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Wishing you an enjoyable trip, Jan!

Denise
  • Just a word of caution regarding use of iPads or other tablets. Don't forget that these DO have a phone number even though they may not be able to make/take phone calls. If you are using your iPad for emails, texting, sending pictures, getting directions, following maps, etc., your iPad is using either wi-fi or it is roaming on a telephone network. Without an international plan, the roaming charges are liable to be a huge surprise! Always use a wi-fi connection if you can. If you are in a hotel like the ones used by Tauck or on a Tauck riverboat, wi-fi will be available usually without charge. If you are using it while out and about, it makes sense to purchase an international plan. My experience has been that they are relatively inexpensive, particularly if you do a lot of emailing and/or texting - usually about $25 a month and some of the phone companies do pro-rate them for shorter periods. If you talk with your carrier, they are usually very good about advising what you need for your situation. For those of us who iive in the U.S. (I don't know about other countries) is to realize that you MUST make arrangements for international service BEFORE you leave the country. We made a big mistake on a recent trip by arranging for an international plan on our phone but forgetting about the iPad!
  • sandycape wrote:
    Just a word of caution regarding use of iPads or other tablets. Don't forget that these DO have a phone number even though they may not be able to make/take phone calls. If you are using your iPad for emails, texting, sending pictures, getting directions, following maps, etc., your iPad is using either wi-fi or it is roaming on a telephone network. Without an international plan, the roaming charges are liable to be a huge surprise! Always use a wi-fi connection if you can. If you are in a hotel like the ones used by Tauck or on a Tauck riverboat, wi-fi will be available usually without charge. If you are using it while out and about, it makes sense to purchase an international plan. My experience has been that they are relatively inexpensive, particularly if you do a lot of emailing and/or texting - usually about $25 a month and some of the phone companies do pro-rate them for shorter periods. If you talk with your carrier, they are usually very good about advising what you need for your situation. For those of us who iive in the U.S. (I don't know about other countries) is to realize that you MUST make arrangements for international service BEFORE you leave the country. We made a big mistake on a recent trip by arranging for an international plan on our phone but forgetting about the iPad!

This only applies to 3G iPads. If you have a Wi-Fi only iPad, you do not need to worry about these charges.
This discussion has been closed.