One Average-size Suitcase?!!!

We're experienced travelers, about to embark on our first Tauck travel. So the date draws near. Upon looking at this forum we see the tale of woe with the Westin in San Fran - oh goodie. Maybe that will be fixed, but all hotels in tourist areas are subject to invasion by idiots on any given weekend. We hope not on ours.

Hmmm, Gratuities. Per day. Hmmm.

But what has Sweetie frosted is the info in the Tauck book that arrived is the part about Clothing and Packing Suggestions combined with the section on Checked Luggage limiting that to, "one average-size suitcase per person."!! She is fuming about this. Any work-arounds of tips out there?

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Comments

• I always take my large suitcase and one small suitcase. I check both on the motor coach. never had a problem. one suitcase is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!
  • pretty much what you take on plane is fine for coach. how can you take more than 25 and not go over the 50 lbs. This year I am doing a 21 expandable to Italy. After the tour I am going off on my own by train and do not want to have to carry it on to the train. I saw video on Rick Steves the guy who writes travel books for Europe and it was not pretty.
  • edited June 2013
    Hi Bill,

I wouldn't actually say the St Francis is located in a tourist area, as you put it. If the hotel was located in the Fisherman's Wharf area, I might agree with your assessment. As it is, the St Francis is located on Union Square. Also facing the square are Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, a host of haute couture boutiques and then there's Macy's. I suppose you would describe it as downtown? The area is a tourist area only in as much as the whole City is.

I read the tale of woe you refer to. It does seem that the unfortunate correspondent might not have been the experienced traveller you are or he might have recognised the normal pattern of scanning credit cards on hotel registration. I'm also surprised that they didn't do the normal thing when staying at a hotel if you have a complaint ... call reception. I have always found that method works a treat. And then of course, one person's idiot is another's curiosity, so to speak. You see so many when you travel, don't you. I guess that's why us experienced travellers love to do just that. Viva la difference!

Cheers,

Jan
    Edit: Goodness, this system is quaint. ;)My quotation of your use, Bill, of i.d.i.o.t. was censored out whilst yours is left intact. Curiouser and curiouser.:)) Computers can be so funny peculiar sometimes. Or maybe it's just Prism getting excited! Now that really is funny! :))))
  • Well Bill,
    So sorry to read about some problems with the St. Francis. We spent a weekend there a few years ago, and it was top notch! It is a great hotel in a great location. We live about 40 miles out of SF and can tell you that Fisherman's Wharf area is very limited and very touristy, and it is not the best place to locate in SF. The St Francis is in a very central location and is on the cable car line...just stand out on the street and wait for a car...and you can ride down there, explore and taxi back if you don't want to line up for the return trip. Although, riding the cable car at night is an unforgettable experience! Your hotel location will allow you to have easy access to Chinatown and the downtown area. Fabulous shopping is a stone's throw away! The Embarcadero area is just a quick ride (or walk) away. Those World Champ Giants play in PacBell Park, so if you are a baseball fan, you are just a short taxi ride (or muni ride away). In short...very centrally located! If you have a free night, book ahead and get tickets to Beach Blanket Babylon in the North Beach area. It is one of the best things to do in San Francisco!!!
    About the luggage restriction..Tell your wife not to worry. We have done eleven Tauck trips, about to do twelve to Egypy and Jordan, and we both travel with a 25-inch suitcase. Since all of our trips are international and we usually extend and spend 3-4 weeks away, we might take another 17-inch tote bag for shoes, etc. Otherwise, we make it work. I will not speak for my husband as he has an entirely different way of planning and packing, but I am a very careful packer. I create a "clothing list" of what I will wear, coordinating outfits and accounting for all sorts of possible climates. That sounds odd, but it keeps me from becoming an "emotional packer"...one who throws in my "favorite" things and then never wears them on the trip and ends up with an unbearably heavy suitcase! I also have packing envelopes and cases (from Magellan or any other travel company) that help maximize space within my suitcase. There are lots of clothing "tricks" that help...scarves, sweaters to layer (you will need those when you travel from 50 degrees in San Francisco to 90+ degrees inland)...the infamous "black slacks" that go with everything and those white capris that will work for both daytime wear and dressier evening dinners at lovely hotels. Your particular trip is more casual with the park visits, so you will not have to worry as much about dressier clothing.
    If you need any other tips about what to pack or what to see in Sf, my email is [email protected]
    Joyce
  • Hi Joyce,

San Francisco is one of my favourite world cities. It's a true cultural icon and the locals are rightly so proud of their city. I always choose to arrive and exit the US via SFO. Having said that I'm arriving into Boston this time, but I couldn't possible leave with a flying visit to San Francisco! Since it's on the way home, geographically, how could I not stop for a couple of days? I love the climate, too! Really! Winter in your July has such a ring to it. I haven't visited in the real winter, yet. One of these days, I hope! Unfortunately my journey takes a little longer than yours would! :))

Cheers,

Jan
  • Ok, 'bout what I thought.
    Thanks everyone!
    Bill

• I want to reiterate what everyone here has said, especially jdurkin's post, re Westin St. Francis and SF in general. I have traveled to SF many times, both on different Tauck tours and on my own (I live in Las Vegas), and have stayed mostly at the St. Francis (it is centrally located in the city). SF is my favorite city on the west coast and the hotel is an excellent hotel (cable cars are just outside on the street next to the St. Francis). Based on my past experiences, I can highly recommend both the hotel and city to visitors.
  • This will be our fourth Tauck trip and the shortest one. The one-suitcase limitation has never been a problem -- especially for this particular trip where everything will be carried beneath the touring bus. (There have been some legs of Tauck trips that used tiny planes where all you could have as a carry on was your camera case!) Here is a serious tip: I suggest wearing your NICE clothes on the airplane. Then you can get by with one small duffel bag apiece (by wearing the same nice outfit for the first and last fancy dinner event). Believe me when I tell you that for the six days on the road, you will want to dress comfortably because you will be hiking around in the Parks. One big suitcase apiece (plus your carry-on bags) should not be a problem for such a simple trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file