Options

Clothing Suggestions

Did anyone ever click on Tauck's partner web site for clothing and what to wear? I just did.
"Bringing the right clothing for your trip is important – we’ve partnered with New Headings who provide an "easy-to-use, one-stop shop" for your Tauck travel needs, specifically selected for this trip. Click here to visit their site." Well, when I clicked, it showed a limited group of clothing as if one were going on safari or another adventure-type trip; nothing like the smart-casual wardrobe suggested in the Tauck site itself. Does not seem especially suited to Japan at all!!

Check out Magellan's or Travel Smith catalogs and web sites for a much better set of options.

Comments

• Options
    Really. Are you going in May? Usually Tauck provides good information about a month before you go for clothing suggestions. I guess I won't use this site.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have enjoyed Tauck's trips immensely. However, I do notice that some of their "suggestions" are too generic or outdated. I think I read recently that I need to take plenty of "film" for my camera. Really?

Their sites for clothing is not kept up to date. I know what I need so I don't rely on them very much and when I read something that seems out of whack for my trip I just ignore it. However, since they are the professionals and are making "suggestions" for their customers--who pay a premium price--they should provide useful information. Keeping up to date is important for a company of this magnitude and they can't rely on their reputation to keep customers returning. This is especially true for new customers who actually depend on Tauck's information. Hopefully they (i.e. Dan Mahan) will see that you had a problem with their links and bring their partners up to date on website information and products.

Actually, I depend on their previous customers in the forums to answer questions in greater detail based on their experiences with the trips. Many of the people here have done multiple trips and give great advice.
  • Options
    Eddie Bauer has a great line of travel clothing called Travex. It's very lightweight and they have many options. This is what we use when we travel.
  • Options
    We took this trip several years ago. At that time we found that most of the Japanese people wore black -- brown -- gray -- beige. Not a lot of bright colors. I have to say that although most did not speak English -- the people were some of the nicest and most helpful we have encountered in our travels. If we looked confused for even a minute somebody would come over to try to help -- including a policeman who stopped traffic to show us where the restaurant we were looking for was. Enjoy your trip!!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'll add to what sidecar said. On our Tauck trip to E,S,W last year, one couple didn't get their bags until the third day. Everyone was so used to seeing them in the exact same clothes, they were barely recognizable when they finally were able to change clothes.

They were prepared, however- the clothes they had for the first three days were Eddie Bauer Travex or something very similar. They were durable, yet lightweight and dried quickly so if washed in the sink at night they would be dry in a few hours. We checked them out in an Eddie Bauer store recently. So far the airlines haven't misplaced any of our bags, but I guess it is not "if" but "when" it will happen. We plan to wear and/or carry some Travex in our carry-on from now on.

For ndvb- when is your Africa trip? Don't forget to give us a review of Ethiopian Airlines.
  • Options
    Not until June 26-July 10. I'll let you know about the ET flights.
  • Options
    ndvb wrote:
    Not until June 26-July 10. I'll let you know about the ET flights.

Great! Thanks.

SusiQ34683, sorry for hijacking this thread. I sure wish Tauck would add PMs to the forum capability

ndvb- do you plan to get an Ethiopia transit visa before you go, just in case there is a problem getting out of Addis Ababa coming and going and you are forced to spend a night there.
  • Options
    Hadn't planned on it. I am only going through there on the way home. Hope I don't need one.
  • Options
    Just returned from the trip to Japan with Tauck. It was totally awesome. The weather was warm during the day, cooler at night. We had been concerned about what to wear, take etc so now I am able to comment. We did take clothes for both warm and cooler temps . We also took things that could be easily washed and hung to dry overnight...Eddie Bauer, EMS, LLBean and chico's all have travel wear.If you go in June or late May the weather is warm so bring fewer cool weather clothes. We were balanced about half and half and were sorry we hadn't taken more clothes for the warm temps. Very few women over 50 wear shorts in Japan, mostly the younger set but long shorts and capri's can be worn and men can wear shorts.The Japanese are very sun aware so you rarely see sleeveless tops on the women but they are fine for the tourists. Just choose a modest top as they are a modest people. Bright colors were not very evident so if you don't want to stand out stay with white, beige, black,brown,light or dark blue etc. We rarely saw logo t-shirts, college t-shirts,etc...t-shirts are ok for touring but a shirt with a collar for men is good for the restaurants in the nice hotels.This can be a button down or a polo shirt. Some men brought a sports coat but it isn't really necessary...a nice shirt, maybe with a tie and beige or navy slacks is fine.There are 2 events for dressing up, the first night and the last...the rest depends on you. My wife brought a dress and wore it only for the first night. She could easily have worn nice slacks and a top and been fine. Be sure to take comfy shoes as you will do a lot of walking in certain places.Blue jeans are fine to wear and my wife has yoga slacks that can be mixed with various tops and look nice. Bathrooms are spotless but rarely are their towels or dryers for your hands. I suggest carrying a pack of tissues or, as the Japanese do, bring a handkerchief and use that. Not a big deal.
    Please feel free to contact me if anyone needs additional suggestions for dress.
  • Options
    KBarber wrote:
    Just returned from the trip to Japan with Tauck. It was totally awesome. The weather was warm during the day, cooler at night. We had been concerned about what to wear, take etc so now I am able to comment. We did take clothes for both warm and cooler temps . We also took things that could be easily washed and hung to dry overnight...Eddie Bauer, EMS, LLBean and chico's all have travel wear.If you go in June or late May the weather is warm so bring fewer cool weather clothes. We were balanced about half and half and were sorry we hadn't taken more clothes for the warm temps. Very few women over 50 wear shorts in Japan, mostly the younger set but long shorts and capri's can be worn and men can wear shorts.The Japanese are very sun aware so you rarely see sleeveless tops on the women but they are fine for the tourists. Just choose a modest top as they are a modest people. Bright colors were not very evident so if you don't want to stand out stay with white, beige, black,brown,light or dark blue etc. We rarely saw logo t-shirts, college t-shirts,etc...t-shirts are ok for touring but a shirt with a collar for men is good for the restaurants in the nice hotels.This can be a button down or a polo shirt. Some men brought a sports coat but it isn't really necessary...a nice shirt, maybe with a tie and beige or navy slacks is fine.There are 2 events for dressing up, the first night and the last...the rest depends on you. My wife brought a dress and wore it only for the first night. She could easily have worn nice slacks and a top and been fine. Be sure to take comfy shoes as you will do a lot of walking in certain places.Blue jeans are fine to wear and my wife has yoga slacks that can be mixed with various tops and look nice. Bathrooms are spotless but rarely are their towels or dryers for your hands. I suggest carrying a pack of tissues or, as the Japanese do, bring a handkerchief and use that. Not a big deal.
    Please feel free to contact me if anyone needs additional suggestions for dress.

I found your post very helpful and thorough as my husband and I are doing the Essence of Japan late September. We are so looking forward to this journey. I have been investing in Eddie Bauer's Travex clothes and found it is a great line for travel. I've even practiced washing them in the bathroom sink and hanging them over the bathtub. Will also check out LLBean. Can you please give some insight in the "sock" issue. I have read and heard it is important to have clean socks free from any holes. Can women wear casual sandals without hose?
  • Options
    So your socks normally 'sprout' holes?!
  • Options
    Sprout holes? Oh, very good Prime Minster!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file