Australia

I know that Kangaroo Island is not part of Tauck's tour in Australia. Does anyone have information about Kangaroo Island (is it worth a visit, where do you stay, impressions, etc.) would be appreciated. Jan and/or other Aussies on this forum, could you help me out?
Thank-you

Comments

• Hi there!

This is the Kangaroo Island official tourism site: It will lead you to and from some very interesting sites. It is absolutely worth a visit. It's in the state of South Australia ... the big state south of the middle! ;) Adelaide, the capital city, is an easy 1 hour flight from Melbourne. You can fly to Kangaroo Island from Adelaide, or there is a car ferry.

Another suggestion ... I know you didn't ask ;) ... is Tasmania ... the island state south of Victoria. It's rich in history, architecture, geology, flora and fauna, excellent cold climate wines, artisan foods and other crafts. And there is not a bad view in the entire place! A couple of days in Hobart would not be wasted, particularly if you visit the quirky MONA ... the Museum of Old and New Art. The building alone is worth a visit!

Cheers,

Jan
  • G'day Jan!
    Thank-you for the information...definitely "food for thought"! I'll check out both your Hobart suggestion and the Kangaroo Island official tourism site. Hope you enjoy your travels this year to the northern hemisphere!
    Happy and Safe Travels,
    Lynn
  • No worries, Lynn. A big country need lots of planning. After all these years, I'm still chipping away at yours. This time, I'm concentrating my efforts on the Provinces of Massachusetts Bay, New Hampshire and New York. ;)

Safe travels to you, too.

Cheers,

Jan
  • That would be States, Jan, provinces are in Canada where I am heading June 30 with Tauck

An idea for you: to truly experience the USA, go to a Red Sox or Yankee baseball game!!!
  • Ah, sorry, scoopdave. I have a pretty good handle on Commonwealth history, modern and old. Same goes for the British Empire and their Thirteen Colonies in North America. So I really do mean the Provinces of Massachusetts Bay, New Hampshire and New York.

As for baseball ... no, not really. Of course we play it here, but it's really quite the minnow in our sporting shoal. I'm ambivalent about the game, although, I'm strangely sceptical of a game that has a World Series of American leagues. There's just something about that limited geography that doesn't quite work, you know?

History ... it's all in the detail.;)

Cheers,

Jan

This discussion has been closed.