south africa elegant adventure- 2 OCT 13

Booked and preparing. Any advice?

Comments

• We took this trip April, '13. My advice, take layers for the game drives. It is quite chilly when you start out in the morning, our game drives left at 6 a.m. I worn a hat, gortex jacket, polartec jacket, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, jeans or slacks. Note it does warm up after the sun rises and at that time you can start removing layers. For the evening game drives, it was about 70*-75* when we left the lodge at 4 p.m. but soon as the sun sets it gets rather chilly, thus the need to layer up. We stayed out in the evening till about 7:30 p.m. Note also that dinner is served open air so you might plan layer at dinner also, more so at Sabi Sabi than Tinga. Note, the Range Rovers do carry hot water bottles and wool blankets if you need extra warmth. Great trip, enjoy!!
  • Md2013 wrote:
    Booked and preparing. Any advice?

Yes, Sunblock & lots of bug spray with Deet! :-) To save space we took the wipe on kind in individual packets + 1 can ... worked great! They provide bug spray but its not like ours .. Long sleeves day & evening, pants on both as well on safari. Tennis shoes fine for safari - wear socks no open toes. You do go off road!! All Casual clothes fine, wear dress outfit 2/3 times no jacket required- you can't carry heavy luggage on this trip and believe me, nobody cares you wore it multiple times, We all did. Ladies, change it up with a scarf! Take clothing u can rinse out & hang to dry - including undies. A very lightweight backpack (small)for each person is handy for trips on safari & bus & airplane. Leave the fancy jewelry and purses home - not needed and one more thing to worry about (jewelry) & drag with you. My husband carried my lipstick if I wanted it, in his pocket or I stuck in mine, and I didn't take credit cards .. he carried it all including my drivers license. It was wonderful - ha! Airplanes not big, so large chunky purses, luggage just a pain. Backpacks very efficient for airplane travel and will fit into airplane storage. Don't need to pack shampoo/conditioners - every place you go has it (unless you can't live w/o your brand!) ... At least two adaptors needed. Take 2-3 memory cards for camera (we took over 4,000 pics!) You will love this trip - took Oct. 2012 it was absolutely amazing! 100% spoiled with every place we went! ENJOY!!!
  • Hi A2 couple, we are taking this tour next May. What size carry on were you allowed for flights inside S Africa (particularly to Kruger)? Could you have a regular suitcase as long as it didn't weight over 44 lbs? I don't like backpacks, will a soft-side carry on work? Thank you. We are looking forward to this trip.
  • Md2013 - We're on this trip, also. Looking forward to meeting you.
  • My wife and I are also on this trip. I read somewhere that Tauck provided backpacks to take to Kruger. Is this accurate?
  • No we did not receive backpacks for Kruger. We took this trip April/May 2013. We took our checked luggage plus our carry one, no problem.
This discussion has been closed.