2014 Best of Ireland Tour

Just now put down a deposit for the Best of Ireland Tour starting on May 10 2014. Ireland has been a dream of mine
for as long as I can remember. Got close a couple of years ago with the same tour but ended up canceling due to medical restrictions. I wanted to get one of the early tours and knowing the Ireland tours fill up quickly, I went ahead and made my deposit. This will be our first trip to Europe and couldn't think of a better place to start. One problem though is I don't know how I am going to survive almost the year long wait until May 2014,0. Guess I will start my research on all the areas we will be visiting and hopefully will help me to survive!

Comments

• Went there in the end of August 2012 and loved it. You will have a wonderful time.
  • Hi, Jeff,
    My husband wants to go on this trip in 2014. What made you decide on the May 10th date? We are considering going in late May.
    Ruby
  • Hello HuntNfun,

When I first started researching this tour, my TA informed me the May 10 2014 tour was a regular tour but the subsequent one in May was a Small Capacity tour, I believe limited to 24 or so tourist and also the price was more than the regular ones.

Ultimately it came down to this would be our first trip to Europe and Ireland has always been on the top of my "Must" see list so I chose the first date available!
  • Just looking around today and saw that the first two trip scheduled for May 2014 are "SOLD OUT"! I'm glad I put down my deposit last month for the May 10 - May 23 2014 trip!!!
  • I will let you know how it goes. Will be there August 28!
  • Will look forward to your review!
  • Will look forward to your review!
  • I have read that in Ireland May is the month with the least rain. However, I am concerned that it will be rather cold then. Any comments?
  • HI,

I was browsing the forums and saw your posts. My wife and I toured Ireland in 1998 and never expected that we would return, but as fate would have it, our son married an Irish lass (from Tipperary Town) and we have had the good fortune to return 5 times in the last 3 years. We've been there just about every time of year - late November, Christmas, spring and summer. Our son and daughter-in-law were married there on May 6th of 2012, so we spent 10 days there during the month of May. The weather in Ireland is often unpredictable, but we had glorious, sunny, beautiful weather for the wedding. As I recall we had a couple of brief showers, mostly overnight, but a light jacket was all that was generally necessary. I recall that we spent a couple of hours outside in a park after the ceremony, and the bridesmaids were in sleeveless gowns, and the groomsmen graciously gave them their jackets. But the men were fairly comfortable in shirt sleeves. Of course, it's cooler in the evening, and Tipperary is pretty far south, so you certainly may encounter some colder weather, but if I were travelling there in May I would bring a jacket, perhaps a sweater or light fleece, and with layering I think you should do fine.
  • And of course if it does get cold, you may be forced to buy yourself an Irish sweater (I bought two of them on our first tour and they're still the warmest things in my closet).
  • Hi all - I just signed up for BEST OF IRELAND May 10, 2014 tour. Can someone tell me whether the tour stops at the famous Knock Shrine? Also, any words of wisdom for a single traveler on this trip? Thanks so much.
  • Just completed the Best of Ireland tour on October 8th and we had a wonderful time. I looked at our maps of the route that we took, and I noted that we went by Knock on the way to Belleek Pottery. I am sure that we did not cover everything in Ireland, but we definitely enjoyed everything we saw and visited. I am sure that if you mention this site to your Tour Director at the beginning of the trip, at the Welcome Dinner and Cocktails, and if it can be done, it will be done. There are rest stops along the way, and there may be an opportunity to do a substitution. No guarantees though. When doing the England, Scotland, and Wales tour years ago, we mentioned to our Tour Director that we had friends in Wales that we would like to try to visit. As it turns out, we had our restroom break, and tea stop in their home town, and we were able to visit with them for a short period of time. So, we would recommend mentioning this as we suggested, and it may be possible to fit the stop in.
  • Randall and Donna -- thanks for the information and for the suggestion!
  • HI EVERYONE, I AM SIGNED UP FOR THE BEST OF IRELAND TOUR ON JULY 24,2014(THOUGH I AM ARRIVING EARLY). I AM WONDERING IF THE TOUR GOES ANYWHERE NEAR TYRONE IRELAND IN THE NORTH? I AM RESEARCHING MY FAMILY HISTORY AND HAVE FOUND THAT MY FAMILY (THE GORDON FAMILY) IS FROM THAT AREA. AS WELL SOME WERE IN THE COUNTY CORK AREA.
    ALSO, IS ANYONE ELSE TRAVELLING SOLO? I AM ALSO GOING DIRECTLY TO EDINBURG TO JOIN THE SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, WALES TOUR. ANYONE ELSE GOING?
    HAPPY TRAVELS,
    LARK
  • On the route that we followed, we went through County Tyrone from Enniskillen to Derry and back. We also stopped at the Ulster-American Folk Park for a self-guided walking tour. Gordon sounds like a Scottish name. But, I am no authority either. We went on the England, Scotland and Wales tour with Tauck years ago, but we intentionally went in August to be at the Military Tattoo in Edinburg Castle. You will have a great time there, also.
  • HI RANDALL AND DONNA, THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING. YES I BELIEVE THERE ARE GORDONS FROM SCOTLAND AS WELL. I'M BACK TO MY GREAT ,GREAT,GREAT GRANDFATHER AND HE WAS BORN IN TYRONE, IRELAND. IT MAY VERY WELL BE THAT WE ORIGINATED FROM SCOTLAND AND EMMIGRATED AS I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING INFORMATION BEFORE HIM IN IRELAND.. MY FATHERS SIDE IS FROM SCOTLAND,THOUGH WE ORIGINATED FROM THE DEGRAY FAMILY IN FRANCE, AND CHANGED TO GRAY WHEN IN SCOTLAND AROUND THE JACOBIAN PERIOD. SO FACINATING. I CANNOT WAIT TO WALK ON THE LANDS OF MY ANCESTORS.
    MY SECOND LEG WITH TAUK IS THE SCOTLAND ENGLAND WALES TOUR AND I AM GOING TO BE ATTENDING THE TATOO IN AUGUST. I'M SURE MY MONTH IN EUROPE IS GOING TO WHIZ BY FASTER THAN I WISH.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THE INFORMATION,
    MY VERY BEST REGARDS TO YOU BOTH,
    LARK(LORIE)
  • edited December 2013
    We did the Scotland, Wales, and England tour followed by the best of Ireland last year. We went in August and saw the Tattoo. Great experience on both.
  • My husband and I are signed up for the August 23, 2014 Best of Ireland Tour. This will be my 4th tour with Tauck and I am sure I will love this one as much as the others. I have gone solo and enjoyed myself and now that I finally have gotten my husband to fly, we can enjoy them together. Tauck does a fine job in providing everything you need for a the best trip possible. Your biggest worry on these tours is the packing and what the weather will be...they have no control over that!!!
  • Re knock and the weather

We took the Best if Ireland tour in July of 2011 and we did stop at the Knock shrine. I still have the bottle of Holy Water we were able to fill ourselves.

Weather--part time drizzly some days and mostly cool all the time. Had to buy a jacket on the Dingle Peninsla.
    Wonderful trip!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file