Options

What is the dress code I will be On the July 3 2013 trip

I will be on the Tauck, river cruise July3 2013,I would like to know the dress code on the ship and what is needed on the tours. Please email me @hrstampman@aol.com thank you

Comments

• Options
    Hi hrstampman,

For every day sightseeing I'd suggest you dress for comfort and practicality. Take layers for changeable weather and make sure your shoes are comfy. Cobblestones can make walking awkward if you're wearing heels and some types of sandals. If you are a bloke you probably won't be wearing heels, but if heels are your thing ... think sturdy stacked ones.

You might want to spruce up a tad for dinner on the boat. Dinner in the main diningroom is an elegant table d'hote affair ... but they are not formal. Think smart casual, a jacket for gents if that is your style ... but only if you are that sort of guy. I'd say the term country club casual would cover most possibilities. Dinner is also served in a more casual setting in the aft lounge.

You might want to fling on a bit more style for the welcome and farewell dinners, and the special dinner in Vienna in particular. There are lots of separate posts on what to wear and what not to wear to the Palace here on the Forums!

I don't think there is such a thing as a Dress Code. It's more a case of common sense, really. Be practical by day, while being mindful of local culture and sensibilities, particularly when visiting places of worship.

You are in for a fabulous time. Have fun!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Thank you I have one more question do they hay laundry service available
  • Options
    Yes they do, hrstampman. Laundry but not dry cleaning. I didn't use the service myself. I have heard tell on a number of occasions from those who did that it was very expensive. I rinsed and dried as I went along and managed quite well on the Grand European, which is a much longer trip ... but I only have myself to look after. Other comments run along the lines on ... use sparingly!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    We were on the MS Swiss Emerald last year (not on the Blue Danube though). The Emerald and its three "sister" ships do have laundry facilities according to the ships description on the Tauck web site -
    https://www.tauck.com/river-cruises/river-cruise-ships/ms-swiss-emerald-overview.aspx
  • Options
    Yes I used the laundry. Very expensive. If I take a river cruise again will be washing by hand as I go.
  • Options
    Emily from "Tauck" posted this paragraph in the Danube Forum "Ship's Attire".

Bev

Select a wardrobe that is adaptable and allows for layering; casual comfortable clothing is suggested for most occasions. For the Welcome Dinner and Farewell Dinner, as well other events, you may enjoy dressing up a bit.

Nice khaki type shorts and jeans are fine for lunch however, you may want to stick with khaki pants for dinners. A jacket is not necessary, slacks and shirt are fine for dinner at the palace.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    This is always a very emotional topic. I broached this subject prior to our Sept 2011 cruise and I reported on "jackets" when I returned. Whether you wear a jacket or not at the Palace you'll not look out of place. On our cruise only around 50% of the gentlemen wore a jacket and the rest of us wore neat attire. The ladies of course all looked superb.

Rod
This discussion has been closed.