Luggage Weight

I've received conflicting info on acceptable luggage weight on the South Africa/Botswana/Zambia tour. The Tauck info says 44 lbs. Our travel agent says we need to get down to 26 lbs for some segments. Can someone tell us which is accurate? Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Bikerbill,

Due to space limitations on aircrafts, we urge you to bring one average size suitcase per person with weight not exceeding 44 pounds. The 44 lb weight restriction is applicable to
    the Cape Town to Livingstone on-tour flight that is part of this journey. Luggage exceeding the 44lb weight restriction risk being left behind or subject to expensive overage fees.

In addition, one small size carry-on is permitted (one per passenger). We recommend the dimensions of your carry-on not exceed 20" long X 15" wide X 10" high. For nights 6-11, we will be using the Tauck duffel bags for our travel on small aircraft where luggage must be soft sided and cannot exceed 33lbs. Our large luggage pieces will travel with us from Cape Town, to Livingstone, and across the border to Kasane, Botswana. As we depart with our duffel bags for 3 nights Khwai River Lodge and 3 nights Camp Kalahari, our larger luggage pieces will be flown down to Maun for storage until our arrival on Day 12. On Day 12, we will be reunited with our luggage at Maun airport for our flight to Johannesburg and the end of the tour.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Thanks Emily, this info is very helpful. First time I've heard about a Tauck duffel bag. I was just getting ready to purchase one to carry in my larger bag in case I had to split up my luggage.
  • O. M. Goodness! The thought of having to pack light fills me horror. I know ... for all the years I've been travelling I haven't learnt a thing! Don't rub it in!!!!

So how big are these Tauck duffel bags? Big enough for the kitchen sink? Surely I'm not the only person who really needs to know this? ;))))))))

Cheers,

Jan
  • I don't know how large the bags are (yet) but I just received an email saying that they are shipped to your home address several weeks before your departure date. If you booked your trip through a travel agent make sure the agent provides your home mailing address to Tauck.
  • The duffles are approx. 22inches x14inches and 12inches wide. We used them last year in Tanzania ans Kenya and were told to stuff as much as could fit in them as we could and I never heard anyone complain. They are of good quality and hold a tremendous amount of items. Noone ever weighed them although you might have to handle them yourself depending on thr flight. Just make sure that breakables sre put in the center of the bag.
    Gary
  • Emily, does the 44 lb weight include both the main bag and the carry-on bag or is the carry-on extra? If so, what is the weight limit for the carry-on? Also, are we allowed a carry-on plus the Tauck duffel for the tented safari flights? If not, can a back pack with the same dimensions as the Tauck duffel, be used for our tented safari flights?
  • We carried a back pack as well. Like any other flight it had to fit under the seat in front of you. .Once again no one weighed it on the flights we were on.
    Gary
This discussion has been closed.