Options

Shopping In India

Hello All,

I am going to India in December, 2013. For those of you who have done the Portrait of India tour can you share what kind of treasures you purchased and brought home with you from India. What kind of things do they have to buy? Do they take US dollars and credit cards? I do love to find unique things in other countries to bring home from my trips.

Comments

• Options
    We returned this February and did not purchase as much as several fellow travelers, but my wife purchased several pashminas, small tourist gifts for friends, a sheathed knife for our son ( that was picked up by security at the Mumbai Oberoi and stored until we left), kurtas, and blouses. We bought a marble tray with inlaid semi-precious stones, a miniature painting signed by the artist in Udaipur, and tomorrow we are to pick up a framed wallhanging that was made from a 50+ year old ceremonial robe sold by the " royal family" at auction in Jaipur. At least that is what we were told and choose to believe. It is elegant, albeit worn. If your budget is larger, there are also famous jewelers in Jaipur. Clothing can be sewn to order and delivered the next day. A couple of men had custom shirts made and a few women had special kurtas made that were very nice. Have an exceptional experience.
  • Options
    Pushkar is a good place to get clothes .
    Subhash Emporium, This expensive but honest marble-carving shop has been knocking up quality pieces for more than 35 years.
  • Options
    India is famous for cotton and silk clothing, bed covers, table cloths and wall hangings. Many of these come adorned with hand beading and hand embroidery. There is an astounding variety of real and costume jewelry in India.
This discussion has been closed.