US dollars vs. foreign exchange?

My husband Jerry and I are wondering if we need to exchange US dollars before leaving? Or is having our credit cards and some US cash on us, enough?

Thanks.

Annmarie

Comments

• Hi Annmarie,

Credit cards are very convenient but may I suggest that you also have some local currency, i.e. Euros, with you. US dollars are great for buying things in the States, but in Europe ... you know, not so much! ;) For small purchases I think Euros would be best. US cash is always handy to have in the bottom of your suitcase, but not as the main legal tender for a European trip.

I won't attempt to advise on how or when you acquire those Euros ... the US has such a variety of bank, credit & debit cards, many of which will work in the local ATMs/cash machines, but they all have their own rules and charges. Check with your own local bank for their advice. I'm sure there will be other US citizens who've taken this or similar trips who can jump in here with further advice.

Have a great trip,

Cheers,

Jan

• edited March 2013
    I usually get a few Euros from my bank before leaving or get some from an ATM soon after arrival. Most banks will offer a good rate buying directly through them as long as you have some type of account with them. Your bank may charge an ATM fee for international use, but you still get a good exchange rate that way.

Not all places take credit cards, so some some local currency is needed. US dollars will rarely be accepted overseas, or if they are, it's usually at an extremely poor exchange rate.
This discussion has been closed.