what time of year best to see animalls

Please anyone that has taken this trip just want to know when was the best time to travel and view animals. Seems a lot of recent posts from Sept. saw a lot of animals.

Comments

• Hi Crackers,

I think it depends on what animals you really want to see. When I visited east Africa ... the Masai Mara & the Serengeti ... it was September, too. We saw huge herds of wildebeest & zebra as well as just everything else you can think of. I just did a quick google on the Serengeti great migration and they listed February, May, July/August and December ... the point being that the herds move back and forth following the water and fresh grasslands.

Knowing Tauck the way we do, and that they really do do their research, I don't think they would sell tour dates that didn't have a good chance of seeing animals. Perhaps if you really want to see a particular species, you might want to do your own research before you decide on a tour date.

Cheers,

Jan
  • We were there in August and saw every find of animal, including the great migration in the Massi Mara. It was outstanding. The weather was perfect and no bugs.
    Gary
  • We were in Tanzania / Kenya in mid and late January 2012. We arrived after the short rains of November / December and before the long rains starting in March / April. In Ngorongoro, there were few Great Migration animals but tens of thousands of resident animals there. No shortage of animals at all.

When we crossed into the Serengeti, we caught up with part of the Great Migration. There were wildebeest, zebra and gazelle as far as the eye could see. We also ran into the tsetse flies that follow the Migration. By early February, we reached the Maasai Mara. In the Mara, we took our hot air balloon ride. There were animals everywhere. Our balloon ride was among the most exciting event of our lives. We had already experienced the excitement of driving close to the animals but we learned there is nothing to compare to the observations you get when in the balloon. The animals are oblivious of your presence so they behave in a totally natural way.

In October / November 2012, we went back to the remote Tanzanian parks of Ruaha, Katavi and Mahale. Our visit coincided with the last days of the long dry season. It had not rained there since May. The rivers were dry. Elephants were digging in dry river beds and the water they found saved themselves and thousands of other animals. Still, we saw thousands of animals. What was different was the animals were highly concentrated in the few areas where water could be found.

There is a lot of research information on safaris available on the Internet but you have to be careful. When we were in Arusha with Tauck, we saw tens of storefronts advertising safaris. These were bare bones operations. There was no resemblance to the classy operations depicted on their Internet websites.

Jan makes a good point...if you want dependable advice go to people with a reputation for satisfied customers...like Tauck. Then, go to the Tauck Forum where Tauck's customers share their stories. It may take a little digging but you will find answers on every conceivable aspect of safaris....Leo M

• Trust me when I do this it will be with Tauck. I am going on my 10th tour in Sept. this year the Classic Italy tour. For now I am doing research for this trip to figure out when I want to go. I did not know about the flies. Will have to find more info on that with what animals I want to see. Pretty much does seem you go most times of the year and just see different animals, but does sound like rainy season is the best to bring the migration animals. Thank all for your comments I welcome any others with their stories.
  • Hi! I went o this trip last September and it was unreal. I think you see animals all year round, but maybe just in different areas. We were just on the cusp of baby season, so we did see a bunch of baby zebras, elephants, and warthogs. We had perfect weather and not a single bug. Great time of year to go!

Here's a post on my food and recipe blog about the safari, with some of my favorite pictures. You will have an amazing trip!! Enjoy!!
    http://seattlepalate.com/south-indian-vegetable-curry/
  • I have the same question as "crackers"--when to go..?? It seems everyone had a wonderful time regardless of the month. I would like to stay away when it is very dry though as the dust will not do me well. Suggestions Please. Thanks
  • Crackers,

On page 9 of this forum, Tauck's Tim gives a good rundown on the seasons. Will retread your suggestion. Maybe a second look will be more clear. Thanks, Francesca
  • Re Tauck's Tim, you have to open Ned's question on when to go to find Tim's answer
  • Dear Francesa and Crackers...I'm not sure there is a perfect answer to your "when to go" question. May I suggest you try to decide which of the following two factors is most important to you..."what you will see on safari" or "what your comfort level will be"?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we were in the remote Tanzanian parks at the end of the long dry season (late October and early November). The heat was oppressive...i.e. near or over 100 degrees at midday. The dust was appalling since it had not rained since April. However, we managed quite well because we decided long before our trip that discomfort was secondary to the animals we would see. We were prepared. We wore our "muffs" to cut the dust and draped our necks in special cloths that retained cool moisture. My wife found both items on Amazon.

If, on the other hand, your priority is moderate weather conditions you should be able to find your ideal time on any of the myriad Internet weather sites that give average temperatures and rainfall.

One cautionary note is that Africa can be fickle. I lived in Yaounde, Cameroun (West Africa) many years ago during the height of the rainy season. It had rained without interruption for 30 solid days. On the morning the rainy season ended, I looked out the window toward the dirt road in front of our house. A cattle herder was passing with 20 to 30 cows. Incredibly, the herd was kicking up a cloud of dust as they walked by. Against all odds, I could have gone on safari that day without any problem. You just never know!

The folks at Tauck did a fantastic job finding animals for us to photograph in January & February. I've read enough Forum entries to know they have done the same for many others - throughout the year. You will have an awesome time no matter when you go...Leo M.
  • Thanks Leo. It does seem everyone, in every month, had a wonderful time. Your advice of comfort vs sightings is certainly something to think about. Think we'll go for sightings. Sept sounds good today, may change though as we were thinking of Scotland for next Aug, with a week on our own in London, then do an English tour either before or after Scotland. Sooooo that may not make Sept possible for Africa, so then maybe June. How rough it is!

Really, I just want someone to say 'this' is the perfect time.

Watched your blog--fabulous. Thank you for sharing, you are a generous soul.
    Francesca
  • Hi Leo,

Do you think you could post the details of your blog again, please? I remember checking it out and thinking, like Francesca, how great it was. Sadly, I wasn't bright enough to bookmark it. Duh!

You're right, of course. Africa does get under your skin. Gotta be that dust! ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Thank you Francesca. You are going to have a simply glorious time in Africa...whenever you go. Jan made a good point in saying the allure of Africa may be in the "dust". Whatever it is I can't wait until our return this June.

Hi Jan. I put the link to our Africa blogs on the Forum under Tanzania & Kenya. Thank you for asking.

My best to both of you...Leo M
  • Have just been given this website for a great movement by month, of the migration, map. www.andbeyondafrica.com. Once you get the homepage, search great migration movement map. If seeing the great migration is on your list of must sees, this map shows you the path the wildebeest take year round.
  • Hi Francesca...I had not seen the "andbeyondafrica" website. Very, very interesting. I have been talking to a wildlife biologist and he confirms the short grass in the Serengeti and the Mara in January and February is the secret to the positioning of the Great Migration. We will return in 2014 during that time frame and to that area. There will be 400,000 wildebeest calves born in a matter of a few weeks. The inevitable result is the year's largest gathering of predators on the savannah. We are anxious to see the interaction of the species....Leo M
  • Hi Leo,

Had put the research aside for a bit, but am actually hoping to book this trip today--latest by Mon or Tues. Hope to hear your suggestions before we book. Have to choose between July/Aug or Feb. According to that map, the great migration would be better seen in July/Aug in Masaai Mara area, but I have to wonder if the other areas the tour covers (Tanzania) will be relatively empty?? Since you have been there several times, at different times of year, and to different parts of Africa, which would you choose? Have all these trips been with Tauck? If we love Africa as you do we will most likely do their Botswana, So Africa & Zambia tour at another time. We looked into SITA, received an itinerary, but we had tried to combine So Africa and Kenya & Tanzania (building on Taucks tours). It was way too much flying from here to there etc. I have also been in contact with someone who runs private tours, has recommended another private tour company as well. This issue with these, for us, is it is all game viewing. We like the idea of seeing the locals, even if it is a show put on for us. He and the other gentlemen were quite surprised that Tacuk spent 3 days at Mt. Kenya--thought it was too much. I think it is a plus to see the re-hab centers, make a bit of a fuss of crossing over the equator and having a bit of relaxation in such a beautiful lodge. They both suggested July/Aug, but that is because of the great migration crossing. Isn't there a middle ground where there are lots of animals everywhere? We want to see the great migration, but not at the expense of not seeing much elsewhere. Weather conditions are not an issue, we are tough old souls! Thanks
    Francesca
  • Leo,

Your post says you will be returning Jan/Feb in 2014, Kenya and Tanzania. Didn't you do that tour already?
    Francesca
  • Hi Again Francesca...If you would be kind enough to write me at leo@leomcyr.com I will respond to several of your questions.

As I said earlier, our Tauck trip took place from January 19 to early February. The weather could not have been much better. One of the highlights for us actually was Mt Kenya. The Mt Kenya Safari Club was fantastic. We were next door to the William Holden Rehabilitation Center where we saw every type of animal you could hope to see. It was amazing to see these animals up close and, in some cases, to touch or to feed them. There was a kudu named Elizabeth that followed my wife, Elizabeth, around the compound.

We also went to see the weavers in Nanyuki...which was well worth the time. Our visit to a Maasai village was fascinating. We learned a lot...lesson # one for me was don't wear shorts when the briefing is to take place in the village cow pen. The flies had me doing the Zombie stomp. Regardless, all of us enjoyed these adventures.

Like you, I have read many of the reports on the Forum and it really does seem like everyone had positive things to say about the time of year that they went. I am the same way. I prefer mid-January to mid-February. And, even if you don't hit the middle of the Great Migration, you are going to see plenty of animals. All the animals do not migrate. Even in Ngorongoro Crater, there are large resident populations of wildebeest, zebra, warthog, gazelle, impala, elephant, buffalo, etc, etc. We also saw the predators (lion, cheetah and hyena) that feed on these native populations.

I have not been in August so I really don't know. We went last year in October at the very end of the long dry season. It had not rained since early May. Most rivers were dry and water holes were few. The animals were heavily concentrated around the water that remained. But...and this was a big "but"...we had temperatures over 100 every day. It's a "give and take" type of decision but, in my estimation, there is no losing when you go to Africa...Leo M
  • Francesca,
    I took this trip last August and as far as I'm concerned it was a perfect time to go. We saw all the wild life we wanted to see - lion, cheetah, leopard, elephants, buffalo, giraffe, zebra, rhino, hippos and so much more. We also were fortunate enough to witness the great migration. That was really the thrill of a lifetime. Our guide was able to get us very close to the edge of the Mara river where the migration was taking place - so close. It is truly unforgetable!! Also, the weather could not have been more perfect - no rain and no BUGS and very comfortable. However, as Leo said, whenever you decide to go, you are sure to have a fabulous time. Tauck does an outstanding job and you will experience the trip of a lifetime. I, personally, have thought much about Africa since my return - the country, the people and the wild life really touched my heart in so many ways. I'm looking forward to returning in September, this time to South Africa, on another Tauck tour. Have a great trip. As I said, you are in for the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy!
    Carolyn
  • Dear Leo and Carolyn (blackmagic),

Just before I returned to the Forum this evening, I took a last look at the dates for 2014 and chose the August 9th departure. It has been a struggle to say the least. I have spent hours, no, weeks, trying to decide. Now that it is done I wish it were this year instead of next. This June/July we will be taking a Viking cruise--can I say that? from Amsterdam to the Black Sea with some extra days in Transylvania, Have taken Tauks river cruises, love them, but like to experiment too. Back to Africa--I was leaning toward Jan/Feb, but my husband really wants to see the river crossing so I think I have picked correctly.

We too wish to go to So Africa, we have picked the Botswana, So Africa, Zambia (I think that's it) trip. Have a wonderful time and post your experience.

We are also looking at Taucks Vietnam, Cambodia trip for January. Either of you been yet?
    Thanks so much for your help, wishing you wonderful experiences in traveling.
    Francesca
  • Congratulations Francesca...I know it must be a relief to have decided on August. Don't worry! It will be great.

No, no, I will not be going to Viet Nam. Been there once when I was a young man. I will never go back "voluntarily". I'm going to stick to Africa for the time being. Then, we will probably go back to Italy with Tauck, or, go "down under" to visit Jan.

Leo M
  • Carolyn,
    Double checking myself-when in Aug did you go-beginning, or end? I see the Aug 13 is already sold out. I chose the earlier date, but have not booked yet so can still make the later date which would take the trip into Sept.
    Really, I have never been so undecided!!
    Francesca
This discussion has been closed.