Free Time in Rome-Rome, Amalfi Capri Trip

Our trip has the Vatican visit scheduled in the morning vs usual after hrs. How much time will be available that day to visit other sites in Rome? I assume the Vatican, Sisitine, St Peters, Collesem will take a good part of the day. If ending at Colleseum we would then go to the Forum or the Peter in Chains church, and keep walking to other nearby sites.
It does not appear we have any other time, although maybe the day we arrive back in Rome on the train is free??
It looks like we do not visit the Forum,would anyone recommend that visit, and how long to spend?
We do arrive in Rome 24hrs before the trip begins. I have walks/sites in Travestere and one in the Jwish Qrtr printed out. Do you recommend these over other sites?
So much to see. I was thinking perhaps of viewing the foutain notables during the evening hrs.
We like architecture and neighborhood streets better than museums w artwork.

Comments

• Of our 23 tours, our Tauck Classic Italy Tour is our favorite. Some were with Tauck and some were with less expensive companies. Even on the Classic Italy tour, which was several years ago, a visit to the Forum was not scheduled, although a view of it was most certainly included. However, during our free time my husband and I spent at least an hour and a half, or more, there. on our own. Although we had no guide, volunteer guides, who I'm sure we'd have had to have paid, were available. This was a very special part of our visit to Rome for both of us, especially to me as a retired history teacher.
  • Thank you Lovestravel. I will include it on our own walking tour the day pre trip we have free, and set aside the time to visit., unless our Tauck tour director can tell me if the free afternoon upon arrival back to Rome form Amalfi coast would allow enough time. We are on the May 11 trip where the vatican tour is not that day (so free afternoon I believe) but early am the last day in Rome. Do they monitor these forums and answer sometimes?
  • yes emily often steps in and gives answers from Tauck.
  • Heel dajwaj,

Apologies for the delay in response, I am still waiting to hear back from the Tour Manager regarding the specifics you are looking for.

I will update this post once I hear back.

Thank you for you patience,
    Emily
  • edited March 2013
    Hello dajwaj,

Here is the information I got from the tour manager:

Day 6
    Arrive at hotel approx 4:00PM..
    Free evening

Day 7
    8:00-1:00 Vatican Museum/St. Peters’ Basilica
    1:00-2:30 City tour/Colosseum
    Free afternoon
    6:45 Reception/Dinner

In regards to sightseeing:

With Tauck:
    • The city sightseeing should precede the Colosseum visit, but the order is subject to change (although nothing will be missed)
    • We view the Forum from above, but you may wish to return on your own free time. It can be very hot in the summer months

On your own:
    • The walk in Trastevere as this is the “artsy” Greenwich Village like area of Rome; the Jewish Quarter is also fantastic to check out
    • Highly recommends a Rome by night tour, either walking or by car, to view the many spectacular sites with their lights

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • SueSue
    edited March 2013
    dajwaj,

I took this trip last year. Great trip! Another suggestion for free time in Rome.

The Pantheon is really worth a visit. You can do St Peter in Chains after the Colosseum visit. It is walking distance from the Colosseum and also worth a vist.

I'm sure you will enjoy the trip.

Sue
    It
  • Thank you for the update and the suggestions by all.
    We will include the Pantheon in our one day pre trip walk through Rome. then we might be able to do Peter in Chains and the Forum for a short visit if we finish the city tour and then Colsmn,so we will be nearby. Looks like about 3 free hrs to do and get back to our hotel per dinner.
    We will likely have to choose between Travestere and Jewish Qtr on our free evening.

I also want to know if we will have time on an afternoon in Capri to do a boat around the island OR do the Blue Grotto visit seas permitting? I cannot tell from itinerary what time we are free in the afternoons and how much time before the one nt w the scheduled dinner.
  • You should have time to do the boat or the Blue Grotto. The Blue grotto trip may not run if the sea isn't calm enough.

As I recall we were back at the hotel for lunch and had the whole afternoon free.

Sue
  • I'm leaving on the Rome, Amalfi, Capri tour on May 3. I am wanting to do a Scavi tour on my own. (underground - St Peter's tomb) In order for me to get my tickets I have to submit an exact date and time frame. If I am reading the schedule correctly, I would apply for a ticket on Friday May 9 th in the afternoon. Does this sound right?
    Corinne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file