Options

Japan October

We will be travelling to Japan in the Fall. Can anyone help by suggesting what is suitable clothing at this time of year and what is proper attire in Japan? Should we bring yen with us from the states and are ATMs readily available all over? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    My husband and I recently took Tauck's Essence of Japan tour, what a great trip. It was probably the best tour we've ever taken. We were there from Sept. 13-27, and it was unseasonably hot the first week. The second week dropped into the comfortable range. Don't bring yen from the US as it's more expensive, and you won't need yen until you are actually ensconced into your hotel. Taulk meets you at the airport and takes you and luggage directly to the hotel. You can change a small amount of money at the hotel or ask the hotel where the closest post office or 7-11 is located. We did all our money exchanges at either one of those. As for proper attire, for touring days dress casually as you would in the US. There were people on our tour who wore shorts, as did the tour director, and it was appropriate some days. The director would advise us the day before whether or not it was a shorts day the next day. Pack a couple or three smart casual outfits for some nicer dinners, but no one wore anything formal. The last night some men wore jackets and ties, but most wore nice shirts with collars. Make sure to bring umbrellas as it rains in Japan frequently. Usually the hotels and the motor coaches also had umbrellas for the guests to use, in the event you forget yours. Make sure your socks don't have any holes in them, as you will be removing your shoes throughout the trip, and holes in socks are considered very rude in Japan. I hope you have a great trip, and if Bill is your tour director, prepare yourself for the best trip of your life.
  • Options
    hi we just signed up for japan in oct 2014 will u be on the trip?
    kay
  • Options
    artiegom wrote:
    hi we just signed up for japan in oct 2014 will u be on the trip?
    kay

Hi, Kay,

I am booked for the tour starting on October 10, 2014. Is this your tour as well?

Sergio
  • Options
    still trying to figure out how to post on this site
  • Options
    yes we will be on oct tour
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    artiegom wrote:
    yes we will be on oct tour
    Hi, Kay,

There are THREE excursions in October. I'm booked on the one departing on October 10.

I have found that the easiest way to read the forum is by first logging into the Tauck website, and then you can view the latest activity on the forum by using the following link:

https://www.tauck.com/travel-forum.aspx

I'm traveling alone and I live in Miami, Florida. A friend of mine from Toronto will also be on this tour.

Have you made your air reservations yet? I'm not looking forward to the very long trip. I'll be booking my flights after the holidays.

Sergio

• Options
    Sergio,
    My name is Nijole and I live in Miami too.. I am thinking about taking my first tour with Tauck. If there are some opening for October to Japan , I will try to book too my flight from Miami..
    Any advice which airline to go ?
    Thanks
    Nijole
  • Options
    LITHUANIA wrote:
    Sergio,
    My name is Nijole and I live in Miami too.. I am thinking about taking my first tour with Tauck. If there are some opening for October to Japan , I will try to book too my flight from Miami..
    Any advice which airline to go ?
    Thanks
    Nijole
    Hi, Nijole,

I've only done some preliminary searches to get a feel for the cost of the airfare. It's a VERY long trek, no matter how you do it. I've found the cost to be around $1400 round trip (Miami to Osaka, Tokyo to Miami). The flights require at least two stops.

I may choose to stay overnight in the West Coast, for example, to cut the trip in two. But I'll do my serious "research" after the New Year.

Also, after I find a reasonable option on my own (Kayak, etc.), I'm going to call Tauck and see what they can do in terms of price and flight choices. I've considered flying Business Class but it's way too expensive and most likely will not book that.

What October tour are you considering? I'm on the October 10, which is a "small group" departure.

Sergio
This discussion has been closed.