Options

WiFi availability?

We will be traveling on the January 25, 2013, Portrait of India journey. We will be bringing an iPad and our iPhones and are curious about the WiFi availability at our hotels and also whether it is complimentary or surcharged.
Does anyone have any information? Thanks ;-)

Comments

• Options
    I used my iPad at almost all the hotels and there was a small charge. It wasn't a big deal since the hotels in Europe were charging a big daily rate of over $30 per user. We ended up going to Starbucks to use their wifi for a $5.00 charge. for a half hour. I don't have an iphone, but my granddaughter did and used it for texting only. If you want to read some good reviews of the India tour, go to the reviews on Tauck's website page for Portrait of India.

Sheila
  • Options
    Thanks, Sheila ;-).

I'll definitely check out the reviews and appreciate your very quick reply and info.

I am going to post a couple of other questions....one regarding tank shirts/sleeveless shirts and the other regarding the Visa required....so perhaps take a look at those if you get a moment. I hope to post those later tonight.
  • Options
    Hi again festive1,

My DH and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about this wonderful tour. Just ask away as I usually check this Travel Forum daily. We are leaving for Tauck Tour no. 18 in several weeks. Love their tour company as you can imagine.

Sheila
  • Options
    Hi Sheila,

First.....what's a 'DH'??? Second....THANKS!!!!!!!!

This is our second tour with Tauck. Our first was to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. Spectacular and 'trouble free'. We are also booked for China in October 2013 and it is still early for us to think about that trip. But, if you've been there, which I suspect you probably have with 17 tours below your belts, I'm guessing you'll be a great source of information for that tour as well.

I have just posted the other topics.....one regarding tanks shirt/sleeveless shirts and the other regarding the VISA....so if you could, please take a look at your convenience and reply to those.

I really appreciate all of your help and kind offer to assist.

Best to you,
    Sandie
  • Options
    Hi Sandie,

A DH is dear husband. I post a lot on Cruise Critic and that's one of our shorthand symbols. First time I saw DIL, I was floored. It means daughter-in-law.

I asked my husband if he noticed what the women were wearing since I never wear tank tops or sleeveless. I don't look well in them, so I usually wear a thin open shirt over anything sleeveless. We all wore short sleeve very light weight shirts usually with cropped pants. Some of the women carried a scarf in case they needed it for a temple to put over their shoulders. I never went in any of the temples since I have breathing difficulties and they always had burning incense or twigs.

You are going in December which will be cooler than our trip in March. The hotels are incredible. Google some of the Oberois to check them out. The hotels made facing the mornings so much better. Can you imagine coming to a hotel at night where red rose petals were falling on your head when you entered? Someone would be there to gather them all up after you passed and someone else with a wet wash cloth and cold drink.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Sheila

• Options
    Hi again Sandie,

I'm sorry, I see you are going in January. The weather will still be cooler than when we went. By the way, I didn't eat any of the Indian food. I thought Indian food would be Tandori chicken and rice. Wrong!! It was all little cups of food mixed in with yogurt. I thought I would be only eating my Oats and Honey breakfast bars for lunch and dinner. The hotels all serve gourmet Italian food since they cater to very wealthy people from all over the world. The first few nights I ate my favorite pumpkin raviolis for dinner. We only get them in L.A. in October and November. Here it was March and the crop must have been huge.

Sheila
  • Options
    Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your information regarding clothing, WiFi, and VISAs. The added info regarding the food was also very helpful, as I am a vegetarian, a so-called 'picky eater', and not a lover of yogurt.

:-)
  • Options
    Does anyone have an opinion about weather end of Sept. and into October?
  • Options
    Hi,

I see your question here and also in another posting. We are on the January 23, 2013, Tour and decided to go at this time of year based upon some research with regards to weather.

As a quick link, you might go here: http://goindia.about.com/od/planningyourtrip/a/indiaweather.htm

However, we have friends who traveled with Tauck a couple of years ago in very late October/November and they said the weather was fine.

Hopefully, others who have gone at the end of September into October....or a Tauck administator...will post a reply.

Good luck and hope this helps ;-)

• Options
    I read on Facebook that wifi is now free in the hotel rooms. Will this include the hotels on this trip? Hope so, I've been hoping to bring iPad. Any problem with security doing that?
  • Options
    Hello Touschez,

Yes, internet is complimentary on this tour where available. Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "security"?

Best,
    Emily
  • Options
    That's great news. What I meant was how safe is it to leave in hotel rooms or in luggage while on side trips with duffel bag.
  • Options
    Hi Touschez,

It is always advisable to lock valuables in a safe. Easy to use safes can be found in most guest rooms , while those places that aren't so equipped can typically store valuables in a safe at the front desk.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Just returned from Spotlight India Tour and Tauck generously underwrote all of the hotel WI FI fees. We had an IPAD , IPhones and Kindle.
  • Options
    Does that include texting on your phone or messaging onyour ipad or do you need a plan for that from your carrier.
  • Options
    Hello Touschez,

In regards to texting and messaging on your iPad, If you are using iMessage on your iPad or iPhjone, it’s free for you and anyone texting over Wi-Fi using an iOS device or Mac with iMessage. However, I am not sure if there is any costs associated with texting/messaging with people not using an iMessage supported device. You will want to check with your carrier.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
This discussion has been closed.