Options

Costa Rica Jungles & Rainforests: What I Wish I knew Before the Trip

We just got back from our Costa Rica Jungles & Rainforests tour starting 7/8/2012 and had a wonderful time. Here are some things that surprised me or that I wish I had known before we left.

Bugs are no big deal. I was thinking African Queen jungle, scary insects, huge spiders, and impenetrable swarms of mosquitoes. In fact we saw few insects, less than we'd see at our home outside Boston. The ones we saw were unexceptional. The mosquitoes were invisible (at least I never saw or felt them), and their bites were like the tiniest mosquito bites at home. They were mostly a problem only at dusk and dawn, and the bite rate at home is much faster. The only problem was in Tortuguero where you had to watch out for ants on the railings that could inflict a painful bite if you ran your hand over them.

There's no need for good walking shoes. Unlike any of the 4 other Tauck tours we've been on and in spite of the instructions we received, there's no significant walking. All the rain forest tours are by boat. What you really need is just one pair of shoes, which should be Keen-type (closed toe, hiking-shoe treads, lots of ventilation on top, water tolerant) worn with no socks. I took 3 pair of shoes but only wore the Keens.

You need to take a poncho or a rain jacket when you go out. Torrential rains really did come up with very little warning. One day we started a boat tour in beautiful sunny weather and a torrential storm came in an hour later. The rains were harder than I've ever seen, but there was no wind. I took a poncho that I could carry in a cargo pocket in my shorts and it was perfect. Most people used rain jackets, and no one used umbrellas.

There was lots of hot and extremely humid weather, and I often found it oppressive. Even when it wasn't hot it was very humid. Hotel Bosque del Mar and Tilajari Resort Hotel were both hot and humid and had effective (i.e. like the US, not Europe) A/C in the bedrooms only. Evergreen Lodge was even hotter and more humid and had no A/C anywhere. At the Real Intercontinental Hotel (an elegant resort hotel) it was much cooler, the humidity was low, and there was A/C everywhere.

You really do need to be prepared for diarrhea. Even though we were told that the water was safe everywhere except at the Evergreen Lodge, we drank bottled water only. Nevertheless my wife and I each got sick once. It wasn't any more or less intense than what we've experienced in the US, and with a couple of Imodium tablets we were fine the next morning.

The zip lines were very safe. The first one (Water Park) was tamer than the second with lower speeds, lower height, and shorter runs that go through (vs. over) the tree canopy. The cables were attached to trees, and top speeds were maybe 15 to 20 mph. The second (SkyTram) was faster, with top speeds of around 45 mph, great views, with cables attached to steel towers. With both lines there are 10 to 12 actual runs. The guides put on your equipment for you (which was more comfortable on the second zip line) and give a safety lecture. You then walk up hill a little ways, and go on the first run one at a time. Everyone in the group goes together. The guides attach you to and detach you from the line at each station. As people arrive at the first station they wait for the rest of their group. If the station isn't big enough to hold everyone, people start the second run, and it continues that way down the hill. The guides are very helpful, friendly, and competent, and are licensed by the Costa Rican government. The guides that do the safety lecture stay with you so you're always with the same ones. I did both lines, as did most in our group, and everyone I talked to was glad they did.

I carried prescription pills I take each day in one of those plastic boxes with a chamber and door for each day of the week. By the end of the trip the pills had absorbed so much moisture that they were sticky and starting to decompose. Interestingly the spare pills that I carried in those round plastic containers where each day's pills have a top that screws on tight were unaffected.

I found that pants and shirts made with lightweight quick-drying fabric were best. They were cooler and much more comfortable than anything else I brought, even light cotton T shirts, and if I went again they're all I would take. Cargo pockets are important to hold the rain gear you want to have with you all the time. I also loved my Outdoor Research hat which protected me from both sun and rain and didn't make my head hot and sweaty. All this is available at REI, EMS, and the like.

Everywhere we went they took US dollars, and almost all gave change in dollars. Visa was taken everywhere I wanted to use it, although MasterCard often was not.

It's been said before but I want to reinforce the recommendation to take quart zip-lock bags for wet swim suits. The Evergreen Lodge in particular is so humid that nothing ever dries. When we left Evergreen we packed a wet swim suit in our bag, and everything in the bag ended up wet.

You have several options regarding how to pay the $28 per person Costa Rica Exit Tax. You can pay when you land at the airport, when you return to the airport to depart, and any time at the InterContinental Hotel. Paying at the hotel costs $4 more per person than paying at the airport. Paying at the airport when leaving has the disadvantage of having to fill out the form, which takes a few minutes, and which must be filled out before you get in line to check your bags and get your boarding pass. We paid at the hotel and were happy not to take the time to fill in the forms while watching everyone else get ahead of us in the line, but any option is reasonable.

One optional activity at the Hotel Bosque del Mar is the Sunset Cruise. We saw dolphins, a sea snake, and other wildlife, and a beautiful sunset all while being served drinks and snacks. It was a relaxing, beautiful experience that we all thoroughly enjoyed.

I hope these notes help you plan your trip and that you enjoy yourselves as much as we did.

Mike A.

Comments

• Options
    Hi MikeA01730,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Costa Rica is on my "must-do" list.

Glad you had a wonderful time.

Best,
    Emily
  • Options
    We took the culturous trip in Costa Rica. It was a wonderful journey with fun companions. Mike was dead on on his comments. Pay attention to all of them (although we didn't get the diarrhea). Some thoughts:
    . If you go to the Tango Mar resort, be aware that the waves break right on the beach with a lot of power. Stick to the pool if your aren't comfortable in ocean waves.
    . The rooms aren't as nice as the typical Tauck rooms but they are certainly fine. Not air conditioned except on the beach.
    . It was chilly on the volcano. Take long pants and at least a sweatshirt for this jaunt.
    . The ages on our trip ranged from mid-30s to mid70s. Everyone was in relatively good shape and everyone participated in everything and had a good time doing it.
    . Consider registering with the US State Dept. STEP program and with the San Jose Embassy. You never know when it might be needed.
    . I tried to practice my Spanish but almost everyone spoke English.

Our tour Director was great as was our driver. Have fun.
  • Options
    On behalf of all future travelers, I want to thank Mike for his detailed review. I hope that other folks who travel to interesting destinations will also afterwards write about "Things I Wish I Knew Before The Trip." I'm sure that their comments will be most helpful to many travelers in their future journeys.
  • Options
    Thanks for great advise. Was told to take hiking shoes but not keen type. Keens seem so much simpler!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the info Mike. We're booked for next July and will take all of your comments into consideration!!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
This discussion has been closed.